Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: What is this?

What is this?

Was given this press? swage? to sell for a friend and am wondering what it is. There are no markings. Looks factory made. Attachment 234924 Thx
    [The adapter shellholder on it will accept standard rcbs shellholders.]
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 01-31-2019 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Edited to comply with the rules

Moderator Emeritus

It looks like a Hollywood Junior press, made in the 1950's, or so.

Hope this helps.

Fred

No offers to sell, or buy may be made outside of S&S.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

That’s what it is Fred. Thanks. The hole on top is standard die thread. I think that I have some mystery shell holders in my shop that might work on this monster. Would it work as a swage press?

Moderator Emeritus

It probably doesn't have enough leverage to act as a swage press, and I believe the Juniors were made of cast aluminum. Hit the base with a magnet and see if it's magnetic. If not, then it's aluminum and won't stand up to the stresses of bullet swaging.

I have two Hollywood Senior presses, and those were made for bullet swaging, especially my tall Senior.

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

The Hollywood shellholders have a threaded shank that goes through the base, and is held in place by a threaded nut. If your mystery shellholders are like this, they may fit. Those style were made by Hollywood, CH and a couple of other makers back when this press was in production.

Banned
    The Junior has an aluminum base and top. It was sold as a reloading and swaging press. The design looks weak but swaging is possible, though I would not recommend it. Finding swaging dies that will work is another problem.

Shellholders, if there is not one installed then you will have a heck of a time getting one to work. The thickness of the carrier requires a special nut. Any of the "H" type shellholders will work, just tightening the nut is an issue.

It's a nice press for handgun reloading.
    Ken