Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Not my first screw up - but upset me like it was

Boolit Buddy

Not my first screw up - but upset me like it was

Well I really screwed up today. In a rush, called to dinner and trying to put my rifle back together. I know better than to rush. Anyway, I was having some problems with my 1967 Winchester 94. I had once used Frog Lube on it and the firing pin was slightly sticking - not hitting primer fast enough to set them off. So I disassembled it with no problems. I cleaned all the parts and put some regular gun oil on the parts. I forgot the reassembly order (been years since I disassembled it). Any way - long story short, I ended up breaking the trigger while installing the hammer and trigger assembly. AAAARRRGGGH!! well I went to Numrich and ordered another trigger. Hopefully will get it back together soon.

Boolit Master
    Lighten up on the froglube. In cold weather, to much in the firing pin Chanel is going to gum things up. And oil and frog lube don’t mix well. Don’t ask how I know these things!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Lighten up on the froglube. In cold weather, to much in the firing pin Chanel is going to gum things up. And oil and frog lube don’t mix well. Don’t ask how I know these things!
    I had stopped using froglube 2 years ago. I just had forgotten that I had used it on this rifle. I discovered the problem with froglube when it gummed up the firing pin on my 30-06 and I was shooting in 95 deg temps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwarrior View Post
    I had stopped using froglube 2 years ago. I just had forgotten that I had used it on this rifle. I discovered the problem with froglube when it gummed up the firing pin on my 30-06 and I was shooting in 95 deg temps.
    I had some problems initially. I then went to their website and followed there are instructions to the letter. It’s all I use now and my gun cleanup is cut in quarters timewise. Along with zero leading in any of my firearms. I also use a lot less of it. I definitely had a problem with gumming up firing pin and striker channels though when I first started using it. It seems to be one of those products you have to use exactly the way it says in the instructions or doesn’t work for ****.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I never even heard of Froglube. What is it?

Boolit Buddy
    just one more latest greatest super lube that you pay out the WAH-ZOO for and you find out hey(didn't my old lube preform better)
    Frog lube is not a cold weather lube or storage friendly lube dose work well in the heat for slide rails on semi autos

Cold Weather Firearms Lube Test.
    Negative 20 to Negative 65 F.

Shooter Choice FP-10 Works very well in ARs and bolt guns, pistols. Good to-50

Terta Gun Lube Thicker, works well on crew full auto weapons, stays on bolt carriers longer. Smells like the trunk of an old car.

Mil Issue Arctic Brake Fluid Worked well on M-2HB and M-240 at 56-65 below zero. Ate away frozen break-free

G-96 Gun treatment, spray can Comes as a spray, very light, bolts guns and pistols to -65. Does not leave a thick coat. Does not collect carbon deposits. Has a nice smell.....

Penn Synthetic Reel Oil P/N 92340 VERY, Very Fluid, Extremely slippery good to -65, can get into primers.....

G-96 synthetic Grease: Comes in a syringe pen. About the same as aircraft armorers missile rail grease. It stayed the same down to 50 below . very good for bolt rollers and other parts that might lose oil.

Marvel Mystery Oil .................... Very fluid, Very slippery good to -40 Burns off with excessive heat. Will clean lead from bores.

3 in 1 Oil Fairly fluid, somewhat slippery gums at -20

LPS-2 Fairly Fluid, somewhat slippery gums at -20

Klean-Bore Formula 3 Some separation, fairly fluid, somewhat slippery

Tri-Flow Separated, does not adhere or film on metal

Break-Free Separated, somewhat tacky and semi syrup like

Mil-Tech Thick, somewhat tacky, syrup like

Outers Gun Oil Very thick syrup. Tacky

Mil spec MIL4-46000c Lube Oil Separated, some was in thick jell state.

Rem Oil Thick jell, tacky

Boe Shield T-9 Thick Jell, tacky, leaves a waxy coating

Corrosion X HD Thick jell, tacky

Ballistol very thick jell. Separation

Exxon Elite 20-50 Syn Av Oil Very Thick, glue like

AeroShell 15-50 Semi Syn Av Oil Very thick, glue like

Wow! That's a very comprehensive rundown on lubes.

True story: I owned a footlocker full of nice revolvers, and I used G-96 Gun Treatment for years. I still do, but much more sparingly, and probably have at least 10 aerosol cans of it sitting on a shelf in my shop. Anyway, the time came that I was going to move, and didn't know when I'd be looking at them again, so I applied it liberally all over, in and out, on the revolvers, put them into plastic bags, and stored them away. I made the move, and about 5 years later a gunnut friend came to visit. Wanting to entertain him I started getting the revolvers out of the foot locker to display and found that they were frozen solid with gummy lube. Couldn't cock the hammers or turn the cylinders. It took me almost two weeks of disassembly, kerosene, toothbrush, and reassembly to restore them to normal. The only good thing about the experience was that there wasn't a speck of rust.

Over the years I've used about 50% of the lubes listed above, but not in extreme cold. Now I use thin amounts of Rem Oil and the G-96 Gun Treatment, and store in Brownell's metallic storage bags with no-rust paper. Seems to work so far. I'm always open for better suggestions, techniques, and products.

Thanks for posting the list -- at least I know what not to use.

Found this on a couple different forums, a survival forum and an Alaska forum. I use Marvel and wish they had Kroil in their study.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    If i fad a dollar for everything i broke like that. When working i can't count the bolts i rang off. Last place i worked was told i couldn't break one inch bolts. To which i handed the boss the bolt broke in half. I have broke a lot of bolts never had anything come loose.

Boolit Buddy

Eezox
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Moderator Emeritus

Der Gebirgsjager : My #1 lub is in fact G96! I reckon this, Kroil, Butches Bore Cleaner, and Butches Oil are the only "chemicals" I need (plus of course, some Molygraph grease for the M1). G96 advises quite clearly to never put a firearm treated with it in a closed case -- e.g., your plastic bags would fit the bill. So sorry for your cleaning challenge -- but from it I learned the reason G96 gives their admonishment. I just checked a couple of old rifles I had G96-drenched before putting in safe at least a decade back -- and they still appear to be function-able. Perhaps the safe afford enough air to keep from the drying you experienced, with enough left to keep the G96 from getting gummy?
    geo

I've had good luck with the Lucas Gun grease. But I've not been using it very long so long term "gummyness" hasn't been ruled out.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

In the cold Rockies, I learned quick to degrease the entire gun and use no lube at all. I use 3 in 1 at home because it works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    If i fad a dollar for everything i broke like that. When working i can't count the bolts i rang off. Last place i worked was told i couldn't break one inch bolts. To which i handed the boss the bolt broke in half. I have broke a lot of bolts never had anything come loose.
    I think you could use a torque wrench, by the sounds of it you'll have a quick return on investment.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I had some problems initially. I then went to their website and followed there are instructions to the letter. It’s all I use now and my gun cleanup is cut in quarters timewise. Along with zero leading in any of my firearms. I also use a lot less of it. I definitely had a problem with gumming up firing pin and striker channels though when I first started using it. It seems to be one of those products you have to use exactly the way it says in the instructions or doesn’t work for ****.
    Yep, if you follow the directions it works very well. Coldest I have used it is minus -22 actual.

FrogLube cold weather instructions.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/aee51...71d5297266.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I never even heard of Froglube. What is it?
    https://www.froglube.com/

For cold weather I am also a big fan of Eezox

https://www.eezox.com/

Froglube and Eezox are the only two lube I use except for Phil Wood Tenacious Oil on AR bolt carriers and on bolt lugs on bolt actions . http://www.philwood.com/products/gohc/oilngrease.php. This is like 90 gear lube and not for cold weather use but it is the best normal weather lube I have found for this application.

https://www.amazon.com/Phil-Wood-Ten.../dp/B07CPWPN8J
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-30-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    We usually have moderate temperatures in TN so the extreme cold weather lubes don't get much attention here. (I better not step outside while writing this note. The vortex is still here!) Several years ago I was completely out of lube to keep at the bench to finish any clean-up project that came my way. I had been using Shooters Choice solvent for several years and really liked the way it did everything I asked it to do for cleaning. With that in mind I ordered a small quantity of the Shooters Choice FP-10 oil. After a few tests I settled on it as my primary lube for anything that requires such. I also keep a few spare bottles handy to use as gifts for regular customers who could benefit from keeping their firearms working well. Always got positive feed-back from these folks and never a negative report. I'm sold on it. The only down side is the cheap little cap the maker uses on these bottles. It tends to leak but that won't stop me from using the product.