MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machinery’s Handbook

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Machinery’s Handbook

I’m looking to buy a copy of Machinery’s Handbook. There seems to be a lot of comments about the latest not being the best. Partly because of pages being so thin, that the print comes through to the other side, making it difficult to read. There is supposed to be a version with large print, that I would consider a plus, but not if it has the same problem with the thin pages. Some have advised getting an older version, because they are better and cheaper. Dose anyone have any advice on this subject ?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't looked at the most current one. They do reflect what the current needs of industry are. For manual machining I prefer the late 70 to mid-80's version. The really old ones have a lot on steam boilers and pipes. Same for forging. For CNC and stated of the art inserts the new the better.

Boolit Master
    I use the 13th edition , 1948 , lots of outdated info but has given me answers every time I looked in it. I should try to find another newer one like M-Tecs recommended.

Boolit Grand Master

If you do a Google search you can find older copies on line for download free. Not sure of the legality but they are out there in PDF for the taking.

Boolit Grand Master

I have my Grandfathers, my Dads and mine, all have a lot of information in them and can be a big plus when doing a project. My Grandfathers has no vee belts information in it. But does have flat belts. Dads ( 1960s edition) has a lot of good info that's in line with a lot of hobby shops. Mine is good and has a lot of info but nothing on flat belts ( 1980s edition). I wonder what edition they are up to now. All three are on thinner paper possibly to save on size, so they still fit in the drawer for them in tool boxes. I believe having 2 or 3 in different editions about 15-20 years apart would be a big plus.

Boolit Master

I have one from the '90s that I used at work. Just as a reference in my job. I'm not a machinist and have never played one on TV. I am a book nut so I looked around for an old copy and ended up buying one from before WWII from a bookstore in England. It was published and printed over there as best I can tell.

Went back to AbeBooks.com and looked up Machinery's Handbook. Helps to specify Industrial Press as publisher. Using the results, you could follow country gent's recommendation. The older editions get somewhat pricey. I never thought to look for info about flat belts. One place I worked as a manufacturing engineer still had flat belts running off of a line shaft.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

My first one dated 1936. Has the formula for figuring out horse power of a steam engine.

Boolit Master
    The early/pre 60 s/ones have a large section on logarithms and slide rules and such,which is useless today..............Ive generally seen the 60s /70s ones at vintage car swaps for $20,and they dont sell .Most look like they have never been opened ,which I think is a fair comment on their usefullness to most people.........Ive found some of the other smaller machinists books are more use,and certainly easier to read.Books like Marks Engineers Handbook /two vols/ are even less use ,unless you design bridges and powerstations.

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure they make a large print edition.That and you can get it on cds also. Mine is about 30 years old. Check some of the machine shop supply houses like MSC or Travers Tool for what is out there. I still grind my bits from the blank and good info regarding grinding them with different angles for various metals. Probably have enough blanks to last till they shovel the dirt over me. This is kinda subjective but while wages were low when I dot my first lathe you could pick up blanks in HSS, M2,5% colbalt and 10% cobalt. I once bought a couple blanks of some super alloy and a red heat from either grinding or machining wouldn't loose their temper. Trick was back then was to hone the heck out of them would cut mystery metal like a knife through hot butter. Tantalum or something like that. But have started drifting to the 21st century, Look up A.W.Turner they are on the east coast. They will grind your bits or theirs to whatever angles you want. They make bits,cutters,end mills and their prices ain't bad. For the amount they charge and the usage I give them (never could get the 60 degree threading but exactly 60 degrees) They even make HSS inserts like they do carbide and holders to match. The other super toolbit I think was tangtun. Over 30 years ago. Frank

Boolit Master
    Most of the HSS square you get now is rubbish,made you know where,and if ground to a fine point crumbles at the edge....the old makers like Poldi and Fagersta seem be entirely into sintered throwaways..............Fagersta Werke HSS was the best,especially the cobalt grades....Ive been cutting up old Landis threading chasers,why buy what you already have.

Boolit Grand Master

The latest edition is the 30th, as far as I know. I have my father’s, I believe it’s 1945. Unfortunately, it is stored away somewhere. When I ask my wife to help me look for it she just rolls her eyes.

There is what they call the Pocket Companion. It’s less than half the price and I think it will probably have most of what I would need. I still hope to find my father’s copy. It’s interesting looking at the way things were once done.

https://www.amazon.fr/Machinerys-Han...inery+handbook

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    There is what they call the Pocket Companion. It’s less than half the price and I think it will probably have most of what I would need. I still hope to find my father’s copy. It’s interesting looking at the way things were once done.

https://www.amazon.fr/Machinerys-Han...inery+handbook
    I assume there is an English edition.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    I had to go to my Grandfather's 1916 edition to find the info I needed for cutting square threads. As M-Tecs said, lots of stuff like boilers and steam, but some good classic info nonetheless!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

The new versions aren't worse than the older versions. The contents are different because technology is always moving forward. If your working with advanced synthetics and plastics, doing CNC stuff, the newer copy will serve your needs best. If you need to cut a thread, tap a hole or find out the DP of a spur gear, an old copy will do everything you need. There are many different versions of the same beast. I use MH and Mark's Engineering and a couple other iterations depending on where I'm at in the shop or in the house. Two of the better one's are The American Machinist Handbook by Colvin and Stanley and the Student Reference Shop Handbook. Either one will supply you with all the practical information the average person will ever need in the shop. Better still, they are real cheap on places like the Ebay sight. Good luck.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I have a 1941 and a 1945 copy. but I used the machinist guides the most. there are three pocket sized books. one for taps one for carbide and one general machining.

Boolit Grand Master

Can someone give me some names of the small pocket sized quick references, that a lot of machinists carry. The really small ones that will fit in a shirt pocket.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Pocket Ref. There are several with various primary subject matter. Actually, I only found one besides the original.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 01-30-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Didn't fine several.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I assume there is an English edition.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=CE5YVJHZ1PJU

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Can someone give me some names of the small pocket sized quick references, that a lot of machinists carry. The really small ones that will fit in a shirt pocket.

Thanks
    In 40 years I have never seen a machinist with a machinist pocket reference in his pocket. Most have a Machinery’s Handbook in their toolbox. Seen lots with trig. pocket references since the used them daily. With CNC and online trig not so much anymore. What information are you needing from the reference?

Boolit Grand Master

I always told people that big drawer was for the pistol I would use on the first to scratch the gerstners. LOL. I never carried any books or references in my apron pocket. There was a machinists handbook and small trig book in that drawer and notes on special jobs. My apron did have a 6" scale, pencil, and 1" mics in the upper pockets. The last shop I worked in actually had a small library of various reference material for our use. Macinnist handbook, trig, and others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast