Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester T22 LR Ammunition

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes

Winchester T22 LR Ammunition

Does anyone know or use what replaced Winchester T22 Ammunition? This is a 1085 fps round used for target shooting in the 1960's and 1970's.

Have been looking for a quality replacement round for a while now.

Thanks for any input offered.
    Last edited by sailcaptain; 05-13-2019 at 05:56 AM. Reason: New details

SK or RWS great target ammo.....I feed my (couple) anschutz a steady diet of SK unless I get real real serous then I get out the RWS

Boolit Master

T22 Match appears to still exist. However it is now 1150 FPS. Whether availability matches advertising, I don't know.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...Super-X/XT22LR
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Super Moderator

I use CCI SV for practice, and Eley Tenex for competition. It also is 1085 fps, and a bit spendy but I personally think it's worth it. My rifle is a Kimber 82.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I recently tried CCI standard velocity in a CZ 452 sporter and it gave the best group that rifle has ever done . Even better than the old T22 I've tried in it and the Winchester ammo is no slouch !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

The Winchester T22 Target always seemed to be slightly faster than other standard velocity target ammo.,
    especially after Winchester .22 ammo. production was moved to a new location some years ago.
    Some guns prefer slightly faster ammo, and it's not going to produce FPS quite as fast from pistol barrels.

And it's not quite the same as high velocity ammo. either.
    It's just a small step over standard velocity as a type of mid-FPS option.
    They show it under slightly different labels with similar product numbers, but it's still all T22 "target" ammo, even though not necessarily the same as "standard velocity".
    Some rifles and pistols simply don't prefer "standard velocity" whether for the accuracy or functioning of the particular gun.

1.--->>> https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...ead-round-nose

2.--->>> https://www.targetsportsusa.com/winc...-p-108927.aspx

3.--->>> https://www.targetsportsusa.com/winc...lr-p-4309.aspx
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-29-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Boolit Master

The accuracy of current T22 is not what it use to be. The accuracy of 22 lr ammo usually follows the price on the box. I believe on accurate shooter.com there is article where a person shoots 50 or so brands with results at 50,100 and 200 yards. Two exceptions seem to be cci std. vel. and aguila se. They seem to deliver accuracy good enough to practice with good prices. If you look around the cci can be bought for $229 to 249 a case.

Banned
    Maybe you can get some ideas here:
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-...mparison-test/

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The accuracy of current T22 is not what it use to be. The accuracy of 22 lr ammo usually follows the price on the box. I believe on accurate shooter.com there is article where a person shoots 50 or so brands with results at 50,100 and 200 yards. Two exceptions seem to be cci std. vel. and aguila se. They seem to deliver accuracy good enough to practice with good prices. If you look around the cci can be bought for $229 to 249 a case.
    I agree that it may not as good as it was in older days.
    But a good example of accurate ammo. that is not standard velocity is the CCI AR Tactical ammo
    which has a velocity of 1200 FPS. --->>> https://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-...MO/1805657.uts

I also noticed that Federal American Eagle grouped better than Eley Tenex at 75 yards.--->>> http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-...mparison-test/
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-29-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    The best cost/accuracy ratio I have found that performs well across several rifles is the CCI standard velocity. You can find it for $25/brick several places.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

I got a buddy that has shot T22 in his S&W 41 for over 50yrs. Since it became available again in the last couple yrs, He said it is no longer up to it's pre-obama standards.

He's still searching for something as good. But now that we can't buy ammo interstate anymore, He's about given up. He can't afford what they charge around SoCal anymore.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I got a buddy that has shot T22 in his S&W 41 for over 50yrs. Since it became available again in the last couple yrs, He said it is no longer up to it's pre-obama standards.

He's still searching for something as good. But now that we can't buy ammo interstate anymore, He's about given up. He can't afford what they charge around SoCal anymore.
    From what I've read on RFC, around 2004 Winchester tore down their East Alton, IL plant and moved their
    rimfire ammo. and T22 production to a plant in Oxford, Mississippi where it's currently made.

Boolit Master
    T22 was a favorite years back, it's not the same now.

CCI seems to work for most folks and its typically readily available. CCI doesn't treat there rimfire product as a sideline.

Boolit Master
    Cci standard velocity or if you need the match guarantee you can but the cci green tag.

have a 52 made in 34. It absolutely loves the old Winchester Xpert standard velocity. Was running low so went to the T22, was VERY disappointed to say the least! Would not group at all. Tried Norma match, better but not as good as the Xpert. Finally went to Eley. Costs more but worth it.
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Master
    I've had little luck with T22 since the late 80's. CCI Standard Velocity does OK. I haven't had much luck with Aguila either. Eley, SK, Wolf, Lapua make some very fine ammo and some affordable middle of the road practice ammo. I'm shooting Suhl, Anschutz, Stahl, TC and Marlin. I sold my HS Victor but it liked all the same ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone tried the eley from CMP ?

Boolit Master
    Tried American eagle on Sunday .friend of mine was using it in his cz and shooting great groups at 50 yards ,I tried it in my martini BSA ,great groups better than blazer /SK/win power point and the best news its cheaper too.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the 90s I got some cmp dcm white box 22 that had federal head stamp markings I bought 7 cases for myself and 2 for friends that wanted it. It was sold as surplus and shot very good . Cost was $80 or $90.00 a 5000 rd case. A great buy at the time it was older ammo but no discolorations or corrosion.

WIth 3 children and 2 10-22s I needed a big supply LOL.

Boolit Bub
    i like the winchester m-22 ammo infact my new ruger mark 4 22/45 loves this ammo very well as well as my marlin papose model 70 rifle shoots extremely well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast