Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Seeking published load 38-55 with 2400 and heavy bullets

Boolit Buddy

Seeking published load 38-55 with 2400 and heavy bullets

Hello the fire,

I am looking for some published, or at least well tested load data for 38-55, using Alliant 2400, pushing a 330 grain cast bullets.

I have found data and loaded 250 grain bullets, with good accuracy results, and really love the way 2400 meters and seems to give consistent burning, without the use of fillers. There is a lot more data in general for the bullets in the 250 grain range, so not sure if nothing published because it is just limited or because the pressure starts to spike with the heavier bullets.

I would like to get into the 1250 to 1350 fps range and will be shooting these loads in a Miroko High Wall. I am looking for more than just speculation, so would appreciate any data sources or tested info.

Thanks,

Jackpine

Moderator Emeritus
    I use the Lyman 330gr bullet with black powder and it shoots great. Haven’t tried it with any smokeless.

Boolit Master

Did a quick breeze through of my collection of older reloading/cast boolit materials (including Ken Waters and both Hercules and Alliant Reloading Guides) and found 2400 load data only for boolits in the 250-265 gr. bracket...zip, zero, nada for anything heavier. Nothing for the .375 Winchester, either. FWIW, though, in the .38-55, H4198 is always your friend. It's my 'go-to' for straight-wall BPCR rounds and you can go all the way from BP ballistics to duplicating the old Winchester 'Hi-Speed' jacketed loads.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Jackpine - there is no printed information for a 2400 powder charge and a 330gr bullet. So that leaves you with QuickLoad software ... https://quickload.software.informer.com/ or SWAG
    In the SWAG category: 17gr of Alliant 2400 for a 255gr bullet is the published charge and do a math calculation
    255:17 = 330:Xgr
    17x330 / 255
    Xgr= 22gr Alliant 2400 ....In No Way is this a published charge and you are on your own if you try it. If so, I would back the charge to 20gr of powder and shoot a reload over the chronograph
    I use the SWAG calculation & chrono for unknowns. Latest was 17gr Alliant MP-300 in a 9.5x47R Schuetzen rifle that clocked at 1320 fps which would be a safe reload for a 250gr bullet

If you want to shoot blackpowder: the 330gr Ideal 375166 bullet for a 38-55 takes 42gr of FFg powder is 1190 fps in a Uberti HiWall
    Regards
    John

Moderator Emeritus
    Increasing the powder charge and the bullet weight seems like a really bad idea. Heavier bullet weights normally use a lighter powder charge. Slower powders are also commonly used with heavier bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to you all for your comments. I am currently loading H4198 (have tried and used several other powders) in with the 330 gr bullet, and am getting excellent results, and may just stay there, but every time I load the 250 grain bullet (I am shooting the 250s in a lever gun and the 330s in a single shot) I am reminded of how the 2400 measures like water and I check all the H4198 charges to get the occasional "off" charge.

I am loading 15.0 with the 250 grain, and don't remember where I got the data from, but am guessing, based on how usually do things that it is at or a couple of grains less than the published load, so the 17.0 loading that John Boy mentioned sounds close to what I found. I am of the same thought, that going to a heavier bullet would result in the likelihood that the powder charge would be reduced, but I seem to remember that John Boy has a lot of loading experience, probably more than me, so am curious to here his thoughts, if he cares to share them.

I do not have Quickload, as am old school (or just old) and like paper, and have just never looked seriously at it. Is the this a free download, from a site that can be trusted?

Thanks again,

Bill

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bill - an alternative to QuickLoad & my SWAG calculation is the Powley Computer for Handloaders ...
    http://kwk.us/powley.html For comparisons, of Burn Rates: Alliant 2400 (67) and IMR 4198 (88) Be sure to read the Quickness narrative in the calculator because the charges calculate off IMR powders
    The calculator is a bookmarked under Ballistics on my computer and I can't remember how many times I have used it to work up reloads for multiple calibers with white and black powders

For proof positive results - a chrongraph will be your best friend with several MINIMUM charges of 2400 sample rounds.

If it matters, I also worked up another SWAG powder charge with 300-MP, for a 215gr bullet based on a 200gr bullet charge with 14grs of powder. The SWAG calculated to 14.6gr but I backed it down. Chronographed it today ... 1241 fps perfect velocity for a 100 year old German Schuetzen rifle
    Last edited by John Boy; 01-31-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    John Boy,

Thanks for info, and sorry so slowing in responding. Been tied up with things and just got to this.

When you first indicated SWAG method, I thought you were just saying you were making a Simply Wild A$$ Guess, but apparently this is something more scientific. Can you explain.

I am thinking it might not get the velocity I am looking for with the heavy bullet without getting into pressure issues, but am still curious. I did not know Powley was available online, but will try it. As an aside, I have the original cardboard slide rule version that I bought, I think, sometime in the 70's. It is back home, but will try the online version.

I have not had the need to use anything but published data nor desire to "go out in the weeds" looking a unique load for many years, and have forgotten most of what I should still remember, so appreciate the help.

Bill

Bill

Boolit Bub
    Also look into 375 win