Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Leaded barrel

Boolit Buddy

Leaded barrel

Yep. Im a proud owner of a Bisley BH with a VERY leaded barrel. Ive read a lot of old posts and will try the ATM oil and acetone trick since thats what i have on hand. I want to plug the barrel and let it sit over night in solution.
    My question is...Where do yall buy those rubber stopper plug thingys? Or would corks from the craft store work? What do yall use?

Bruce

Boolit Master

Wrap an old bore brush with strands from a PURE COPPER Chore Boy pot scrubber until it barely fits in the barrel. A few strokes will remove the lead.

+1 for chore boy.
    When I got my guide gun you could hardly see the rifling. Previous owner was shooting too hard alloy, too small bullet, too fast.
    15 min latter I had that bore like new again. It was cleaning spirals of lead from the rifling.

Banned
    40x bore paste on a patch wrapped on a nice new brass brush does wonders...

Cedar brand cleaning supplies makes an all copper scrubber like chore boy. They are cheap and very affective on lead. If you have trouble finding them, PM me and I'll send you one. I liked to never found any all copper scrubbers, so that offer is open to anyone in need!

Boolit Master
    For the stoppers check the drawers by the screws and bolts at a good hardware store.

Ace Hardware has Chore Boy for under three buck, that's the easy way...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It sounds like you just need a larger bullet, and better alloy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    If your front sight is back from the muzzle a little, you can use a piece of vinyl hose that just fits, a bolt to plug the other end of the hose and a couple hose clamps. I've not had much luck with the rubber plug.

Boolit Master
    here is your friend for getting the lead out.i tried the chore boy and most everything else.https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod21587.aspx the lewis lead remover is by far the best tool for the job.

have you checked you gun for fit and any other problems it may have.my problem was a thread constriction at the frame.while on the brownells site get some double tuff bore brushes

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve often heard people say, to clean out lead, just fire a few jacketed bullets. I’ve never tried it. Never had to. Just wondering what others think.

Boolit Grand Master

To answer your question, check your local hardware store for rubber plugs and/or cork plugs. Both work. I got some at Ace Hardware. An overnight soak and the "chore boy/brush" scrub will more than likely work. I used Kroil as my barrel soak for leading and I keep a "soak" on my bench consisting of Kroil, mineral spirits and ATF or Marvels Mystery Oil. I often use this as my bore cleaner and it works great on all my tools, dies, etc...

FWIW, if someone suggests Hydrogen Peroxide and vinegar as a lead remover, don't do it. The solution will remove lead, but it will also etch steel. Don't ask me how I know...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I've never bother doing a soak of any kind but I'm another huge fan of chore boy.
    Luckily I aint had to use it in a long time now

Boolit Master
    +2 The chore boy is your friend. As already recommended, just wrap chore boy strands on a bore brush till you get a good tight fit in the bore.

I had shot some factory lead 44 Mag in my RH and it lead up bad on me and in the Lyman cast book said there is 2 ways to clean the lead out is to scrub it like some stated or to shoot jacket bullets . I did the the bullets and clean it out easy I did not shoot alot of them just the cylinder full. and then I just clean the copper out after .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, my alloy was too soft. Man, what a mess! It tok me two evenings with Chore Boy and atf/acetone soak to get it cleaned out. I had made these rounds up quite a while back and didnt write the bullet info down...just the load info. I couldmt remember why i would have an odd lot of unfired ammo laying around and rather than breakimg down/ dismanteling almost a full box of ammo, i decided to nust shoot it up. Silly me!!

Rubber corks are available from American Scientific Surplus https://www.sciplus.com/Lab-Supplies...toppers-Lids-s. Lots of other neat stuff as well.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    It is great that you know what happened.CRS realy sucks make more notes lol.The long time scrubbing is what I ended up doing with choreboy.Glad it worked for you

Boolit Master

chorboy, great stuff, works very well for removing leading from a barrel. Proper fit prevents leading though.

Banned

bore mop and chore boy, should solve your issue quickly.

or just shoot a few copper jacket bullets through it, problem solved.