RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Talked my buddy out of getting the 6.5 Creedmoor

I'm a pretty decent rifle shot and I got that way thanks to reloading and the low recoil and accuracy of the 22-250 that I started with. The .223 is the inexpensive factory route to the same destination.

Boolit Grand Master

The 223 sure will, Don. Your friend just isn't into shooting that much I guess. Just wants to dub around a little and that's fine. Everyone is into different things. A wealthy guy that doesn't want to spend his money on something he can take or leave has my respect. I'd rather someone who has one gun and shoots that than the gun store commando any day.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Story.

The year was 1935, the times were hard and money was in short supply. The man standing near the gun rack in the towns only hardware store was looking at a box of 30-30 ammo as would a hungry man looking at food beyond his ability to pay.
    The store owner knew and understood his plight, times were more than hard for some, it was a desperate time for many, including himself. The store owner had extended credit to so many of his friends and neighbors that he himself wondered if he could buy food for his family and pay his bills for the month.

The hunting season was 4 days away here in Northern Montana and John was desperate for ammo and short on cash. Then as desperation often does he asked the store owner if he would sale him half a box of 30-30's with the option of buying back any unused cartridges. Being in a desperate state as well nodded his head and said,"That will be $1.25." The transaction left John just enough money to buy a bag of flour and walk the 6 miles back home.

Nearly a month later, John returns to the hardware store with his unused ammo for a refund. The store owner saw the 6 rounds on the counter and asked John if he got anything. With a smile John said, "I used one round to sight in my rifle and with the other 3 bullets I got a deer, a moose and an elk."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

just watched guns and ammo or one of those shows on the outdoors channel and they kind of flew in the face of everyone claiming the military is switching to the creedmore. They had the new military soccom approved sniper rifle and it was chambered in (now sit down) the 260 rem. How could they do that to the fan boys! An inaccurate round like that that that God forbid even shoots flatter. Guess you guys that sold your 260s to get a cm will have to run back to the gun shop before someone who really knows guns snatches them all up

Boolit Master

I still have my Remington model 7 stainless steel in 260.
    It has never failed to deliver.
    6.5 Creedmoor? I never could figure that one out.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I had a 700 VLS in 260 Rem, it was a very accurate rifle with lighter bullets. Being a short action it would not make good use of 140 gr. bullets due to the throat and magazine.

It is a wonderful round need in a properly set up rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

My first 6.5 Creedmoor was a chassis gun made by MasterPiece Arms in GA. I wanted andedicated bench/fun/long range gun. It came in the typical calibers you’ll see today which included the 6.5 CM. I enjoyed the small, and relatively efficient cartridge so I bought another since I had the caliber set up and another and another. Is it the most powerful 6.5 cartridge? No. Does it duplicate the previous cartridges of old? Yep. Am I able to get new brass without converting or spending a fortune, absolutely. It’s not always about ultimate cartridge performance as there is always something bigger and faster or whatever. But it flips my switch, does well for deer and smaller animals. Works good on the bench and is easy on the wallet. I also like the venerable 308 and 30-06. And I enjoy my Rem 700 varmint in 223 and Kimber in 22-250.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Out of 10 people that hunt together I know of 3 that check their scopes before going to the woods and practice shooting during the year. That would be my sons and me the rest just do not care or want to check their scope after missing the shot. I am about to the point of giving up on changing that habit why buy a rifle a hunting permit join a club and not take the time to see if you can hit anything.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Story.

The year was 1935, the times were hard and money was in short supply. The man standing near the gun rack in the towns only hardware store was looking at a box of 30-30 ammo as would a hungry man looking at food beyond his ability to pay.
    The store owner knew and understood his plight, times were more than hard for some, it was a desperate time for many, including himself. The store owner had extended credit to so many of his friends and neighbors that he himself wondered if he could buy food for his family and pay his bills for the month.

The hunting season was 4 days away here in Northern Montana and John was desperate for ammo and short on cash. Then as desperation often does he asked the store owner if he would sale him half a box of 30-30's with the option of buying back any unused cartridges. Being in a desperate state as well nodded his head and said,"That will be $1.25." The transaction left John just enough money to buy a bag of flour and walk the 6 miles back home.

Nearly a month later, John returns to the hardware store with his unused ammo for a refund. The store owner saw the 6 rounds on the counter and asked John if he got anything. With a smile John said, "I used one round to sight in my rifle and with the other 3 bullets I got a deer, a moose and an elk."
    There used to be a couple of hardware stores around here that would sell ammo by the piece, starting with the 22 long rifle and working up through the shotgun gauges. They were still doing it in to the 80's when they closed.

Had an uncle that had he known about buying ammo by the piece he would have been the first in line. He was so tight, he squeaked when he walked

Don't remember center-fire by the piece, but you can't hunt with center-fire for much in southeast Michigan.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Out of 10 people that hunt together I know of 3 that check their scopes before going to the woods and practice shooting during the year. That would be my sons and me the rest just do not care or want to check their scope after missing the shot. I am about to the point of giving up on changing that habit why buy a rifle a hunting permit join a club and not take the time to see if you can hit anything.
    That's my father in law. Dude is a master hunter, used to hunt three or four states a year in his younger days. However he is not a rifleman beyond the barest essentials and is genuinely puzzled as to why I reload and shoot all the time. His deer rifle of choice? Remington 7400, flimsy see through mounts, ancient cheap mart scope with canted crosshairs. A box of shells lasts him several years. Fortunately, praise the Lord, he believes in getting as close to the game as possible and says that taking longer shots isn't hunting, it's point and click!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    Just to be clear, 6.5s are great. I have SIX. 3 CMs, 2 X55s and 1 BEE. Not much I can't do with them over here.
    Got 2 CMs too, one in AR10 & another in Axis...the former's limited to mag length while the latter by its lands, so 2 dopes...I already reload 308s (which I convert to CM brass) & Grendel (6.5 projectile) so not much to add other than Hornady dies (which come with 100 free 6.5 bullets too)...flatter trajectory & lesser recoil than any of my 30s...

I used a 270 for many years and actually read Jack O'Connor when he was still writing for Outdoor Life. My 270 was a Remington 700 sporter with a 22" barrel. I got rid of it a few years ago because it was a miserable darn thing to shoot and with the 22" barrel would blind you at dusk with the muzzle blast. I know some think its a great easy to shoot caliber but I prefer shooting my 6.5 CM. The 6.5 CM is much easier to shoot and is as effective on deer without blowing up half the shoulder if bone is hit. Knowing what I know now I could have loaded the 270 down a bit and not have blown up so much venison.

The 6.5 is no better than the 260 or the 6.5 Swede. It is the same class and use of those two calibers and the 257 Roberts which I wanted once. I had a 6.5 Swede carbine when I was young and kind of wanted one in a normal sporter. Put it off for a while and bought the CM when They came out. 6.5CM is easier to shoot than the 270 and I like it a lot better. However, I sold the 270 and if he were willing to do that there are arguments for doing that. Having both is not necessary.

DEP

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    6.5CM is easier to shoot than the 270 and I like it a lot better. However, I sold the 270 and if he were willing to do that there are arguments for doing that. Having both is not necessary.

DEP
    Short actions are inherently easier to shoot than their long action counterparts...kinda like comparing 308 vs 30-06, though ballistically similar, the former is more handy.
    Just my 2 cents...
    Sig

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Jonp, that is the weird part. He is relatively wealthy. When I talked to him about reloading he had little interest in saving money....basically said, “you can reload for me”. Which I am loath to do for liability reasons.

What he really needs is to shoot 5000 rounds of .22 a year to learn trigger control and follow through. Hopefully the .223 will help a lot and let him feel he is not shooting a kids rifle.

He doesn’t need to reload. Your friend should juSt buy high quality ammo and I’m sure he will remain more than satisfied.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    He doesn’t need to reload. Your friend should juSt buy high quality ammo and I’m sure he will remain more than satisfied.
    He buys the most expensive stuff out there already LOL. At least he has the smarts to sight in with the same ammunition he hunts with...I know guys who do not do that!

He was forced out a couple of years ago because he was making too much with his salary and bonus...he was really good at his sales job....$80 million plus in sales. They hired three younger (and likely lesser men) for what he was earning.

I am hoping to get him more into shooting as he has a lot of spare time now. With the .223 he can buy decent ammunition for less than $8 a box and have fun. I will have him do some reloading with me, and guide him through that journey if he decides to roll his own.

I have a 100 yard range off my back porch. He had a blast this year sighting in his gun with a proper shooting station and rests. This group with my .308 T/C Compass is what got him interested. 5 shots, 165 gr Sierra GameKing, at 100 yards in military brass...just trying to find a decent hunting load for the cheap T/C and wound up with this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC165grSierraGameKing.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	234935
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Nice Don, maybe you can lead him further astray.

Boolit Grand Master

The 6.5 is no better than the 260 or the 6.5 Swede.

It get's so far into the weeds that to me, your absolutely correct for the average person.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    He buys the most expensive stuff out there already LOL. At least he has the smarts to sight in with the same ammunition he hunts with...I know guys who do not do that!

He was forced out a couple of years ago because he was making too much with his salary and bonus...he was really good at his sales job....$80 million plus in sales. They hired three younger (and likely lesser men) for what he was earning.

I am hoping to get him more into shooting as he has a lot of spare time now. With the .223 he can buy decent ammunition for less than $8 a box and have fun. I will have him do some reloading with me, and guide him through that journey if he decides to roll his own.

I have a 100 yard range off my back porch. He had a blast this year sighting in his gun with a proper shooting station and rests. This group with my .308 T/C Compass is what got him interested. 5 shots, 165 gr Sierra GameKing, at 100 yards in military brass...just trying to find a decent hunting load for the cheap T/C and wound up with this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC165grSierraGameKing.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	234935
    Both of my T/C Compass's (30-06, 6.5 Creede) will do nearly the same as will all of the $200 Savage Axis I have (243, 270,308) with the 243 duplicating it. I'm not sure of the others as I haven't spent that much time but I have great hopes for the 308 which is my favorite all around along with the Swede . The Mossberg 30-06 isn't far behind. Amazing how far off the shelf rifles have come.

Boolit Grand Master

All I'm saying is friends DON'T talk friends out of buying another gun!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    and what would those be?
    I have talked to a few friends that think they can hunt at extended ranges because they bought a 6.5 CM. They usually don't have the basic skills to sight in there own scope. My point is selling a 270 and buying a 6.5 is not helpful.

My old boss said "They tell me you can kill deer @ 800 yards"

Most hunters would be served better by a larger cartridge and realistic distances.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast