Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Talked my buddy out of getting the 6.5 Creedmoor

I briefly had a Century assembled M1 Garand that wouldn't make it thru an 8 round CLIP without hanging up. Danish, Italian, and US parts in Century's receiver. The worst part was that it was accurate. I've never cared much for the ack-ack AK 47s but my nephew called about a new PSA one for $400. I told him to buy it based on Palmetto's reputation and at that price he wouldn't lose money. It's a nice AK- 5"at 100 yds with Russian ammo and built as well as the Norincos that were common 30 yrs ago. The Turkish Canik pistols are new Turkish production and from what I have seen and experienced so far, the Turks know how to make guns!

Don't know much about rifles but I have seen some very nice Turkish shotguns. I have one in 28 ga that is pretty good.

DEP

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    has anyone noticed how expensive 6.5 bullets are due to the Creedmore / Grendel popularity?
    I started building a Grendel about a year ago and was amazed at how many bullets were on the shelf of the local Cabela's in 6.5. Started trying to stash some for when I finished my Grendel (Just finished it 2 months ago) and started noticing that the shelves had become empty with the Creedmoor crowd buying up most of everything that was available. Hard to find Hornady 123 gr SST or Nosler 129 Gr ABLR's. Wish they would stick to the 130 gr. plus. Of course the Grendel crowd is growing very fast here in Texas so it my be them buying them up too.
    Last edited by KMac; 02-02-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Way too many misspelled words
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master

Now the Canik pistols that Century Arms is importing have done nothing but impress me.

I've had good luck with Turkish pistols. For the money they are a good buy but not a great deal better than an M&P on sale. Still, I'd not hesitate to buy one
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Now the Canik pistols that Century Arms is importing have done nothing but impress me.

I've had good luck with Turkish pistols. For the money they are a good buy but not a great deal better than an M&P on sale. Still, I'd not hesitate to buy one
    Their lower priced models are nice, but not too exciting.
    It is the competition model, the TP9sfx that excites me and I recommend people check out as a range toy.

I don’t have that much trigger time on it and only short range, but every time I shoot one I am left grinning, if not shocked at the trigger and shoot ability if this relatively inexpensive pistol.

First time I shot the sfx my buddy asked how I liked it. I turned to him with this dumb grin on my face and told him I was trying to shoot it fast but the stupid thing kept putting bullets in the same hole.
    It just feels right, shoots naturally without even trying. I really need to wring it out at longer ranges.

Every one we have had try it is just blown away by it, especially for a $500 price tag.

It seems to be known for short chambers/no leade so may need some work to play nice with cast.

It is at the top of my to buy list for an auto loading pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

The thing that draws me to the Tpsfx is the cut for an optic built into the slide. Great pistol for the money
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    jonp, what amazes me is that these cheap rifles shoot so very well. It is not just one or two flukes, but seemingly common!!. I rgot a notice from Aim Surplus this week of a recent shipment of Mosin's and to not "miss out". Prices were $340-360. Why anyone would purchase one of these things for target work or hunting is beyond my comprehension. Maybe the preppers made them popular when they were really cheap but at current prices, they make no sense.

Anyway, I admit to being a gun snob. The only reason I bought the Compass was due to good reviews from people on this forum who I know are not idiots. My 308 M70 Coyote was getting too heavy for me to carry around so I wanted a gun that was lighter and that I could carry around in the woods without worrying about scratching up.

As to the 6.5 CR, I do not hate it at all. A local guy wanted to buy one for his daughter and asked me about it. I told him it was a great choice and I did the internet search for him to get one at a good price.

But like I said originally, buying one as a hunting rifle if you already have a .270 does not make sense to me.
    Don you've given GREAT advice. I too am a self admitted gun snob. Black walnut, high polish blue, great trigger, oooohhh yeah!

I also have tried the Compass, Ruger American, and Mossberg "el cheapo" rifles --- and have been ASTOUNDED at every turn. A cheap what I'd call piece of plastic junk, ugly, unwieldy, and boring........and MOA is not a false claim, I still abhor the dang things.

When I think of some of the 50 year old rifles I have spent hundreds of hours getting dialed in, the youngsters have ZERO idea what we used to go through 35-40 years ago getting that kind of accuracy out of them, it just blows my mind.

The first out of the box MOA rifle I bought was a Ruger M77 varmint around 199x something. It was outrageous in price (back then) and the 50mm Leupold I put on it almost got me in trouble with wifey but dang it shot!! Still have it, wouldn't give it up for anything -- 243 Win also, killed dozens of deer with it. I eventually bought a Ruger Gunsite 308 scout and fitted it with a regular scope for hunting, same problem as your M70. 12 pounds fine at 30 years old, a bit heavy at 60.....

The price of Moises, Swede 96's, and 98 Mausers today just kills me. A guy in Alanson used to have Mosins, SKS, Mausers, etc in a dang barrel in his shop, take your pick, $79.95 AAAAAAARRRRGGHH! Now I know why dad was always complaining about prices.

Just as a side note, every single older firearm I have bought over the last 45 years is just about double of what I paid for it, if my investments had kept up with the guns, I'd be having dinner with Bill Gates......

Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith what an argument! I still side with Elmer though, he wrote a book - "He!! I was there!" Long out of print but a great read!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Being retired now I also remember when the MOA rifle was a thing to be cherished. My neighbor is a retired machinist that taught in a tech school before retirement. He was commenting on the tolerances in modern machining today as well as the abilities of the modern equipment. Basically with the computer operated equipment of today and the tolerances they achieve consistency and conformation to specs is amazing. Also the rate of production. Also the designs of the cheap rifles lead to production shortcuts. The action in my Savage axis is basically a straight pipe that the bolt rides through. The front scope mount is the same as the rear. The plastic stocks we see do not need glass bedding for the rifle to hold their zero. My plastic stocked shotgun was durable and could have doubled as a canoe paddle if desired. The older finer made rifles did not have that level of machining or design. Saying this I still like the feel of my old Mauser, but admit that the Axis is probably the better rifle. The 6.5 CM it's chambered for is a much higher pressure cartridge which exceeding anything the Mauser is designed for. And it will outshoot the Mauser. I still like the old Mauser but admit the Axis may be a better rifle.

DEP

I'm not too crazy about 6.5's at the moment but are any of these low cost bolt actions made in .358 Winchester?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I don't understand the hate for the 6.5 Creedmoor anymore than I understand the extreme hype for it. It's a good cartridge that has done what all of those other 6.5s haven't. Become mainstream enough to be available in most rifles, including cheaper budget rifles. As much as I'd like to, I can't recall ever seeing a 6.5x55 or a 260 being available in a brand new $250 rifle.

All I know is mine shoots 1/2" groups and puts meat on the table. Not bad for a $250 T/C Compass.
    Exactly!! I'm still waiting for the Creedmoor haters to tell me on which planet one can find a sub-MOA rifle for under $300.00 and $20.00 a box ammo in stock at every cheap mart for the 6.5x55, .260 Remington, .264 Win mag, 6.5 Mannlicher, and so on. 'Cause that ain't happening on planet Earth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a cartridge nerd as anybody else. I paid more to have a rifle rebarreled to .257 Roberts than I could have bought any of the various super accurate budget rifles. Why? Because none of them are chambered in the grand old .257 and a barrel job on a rifle I already own was still alot cheaper than any of the few rifles still made in this cartridge. Also, my most recent reloading purchase was for some new .38 Long Colt brass!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The Savage and probably Remington 783 should just be an aftermarket barrel away from the .358.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I'm not too crazy about 6.5's at the moment but are any of these low cost bolt actions made in .358 Winchester?
    That cartridge is all but dead. I’m sure you can get an aftermarket barrel for one of the budget rifles.

The Axis is accurate. That's the only thing it has going for it. Compare to a Mauser? Oh hell no. A Remington 710/770 is just as accurate as the Axis but no one toots its horn! They are useful but pride of ownership and resale value? Nope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

The Axis is accurate. That's the only thing it has going for it. Compare to a Mauser? Oh hell no. A Remington 710/770 is just as accurate as the Axis but no one toots its horn! They are useful but pride of ownership and resale value? Nope.

Plus it is light weight and that has become more of a concern the last few years.
    Charter Member #148

Most people who buy the new generation of accurate, low cost rifles are the same sort who bought department store grade Winchester 94's, Marlin model 30's, and various no-frills bolt actions for generations. They want a solid hunting rifle that will make game go dead and they don't care if it gets some scratches along the way. The fact that these rifles can produce tiny groups with common ammo broadens the appeal even more.

Boolit Grand Master

Let me share the reality of “pride of ownership”. When I shot that group in post 35, with my cheap Compass, my buddy had little pride of ownership in his Tikka. In previous years, he accepted that my M70 with handloads could outshoot his Tikka...but a $225 rifle!

I am fortunate and have some very nice high end guns. I understand pride of ownership. But it sure felt good to shoot that group with a minimal investment. And my buddy was so envious he wanted a new “better” caliber.

As to resale value.... Look at what those cheap Savage 340’s are going for now. My prediction is we have reached the low point in manufacturing costs. All these cheap rifles will appreciate in value. In 10 years, my Compass will be worth 2-3 times what I paid for it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post

If I wanted a .358, I would buy the .308 Compass and send it to Jess for a rebore/rechamber.
    Don Verna

If I wanted a .358, I would buy the .308 Compass and send it to Jess for a rebore/rechamber.
    I'm nibbling on the idea or maybe finding an old Savage. I think a rebore is in my future. Does the compass have a thick enough barrel to be taken out to 35 cal?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Let me share the reality of “pride of ownership”. When I shot that group in post 35, with my cheap Compass, my buddy had little pride of ownership in his Tikka. In previous years, he accepted that my M70 with handloads could outshoot his Tikka...but a $225 rifle!

I am fortunate and have some very nice high end guns. I understand pride of ownership. But it sure felt good to shoot that group with a minimal investment. And my buddy was so envious he wanted a new “better” caliber.

As to resale value.... Look at what those cheap Savage 340’s are going for now. My prediction is we have reached the low point in manufacturing costs. All these cheap rifles will appreciate in value. In 10 years, my Compass will be worth 2-3 times what I paid for it.
    If your buddy's Tikka won't shoot ragged hole groups, he's doing it wrong.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Even cheap and ugly guns can be loved I love my Axis, and, with the Boyd's stock it is pretty as well. No, it is not a Rem 700, but, the new Rem's are not like the old ones either.

Don't care if it appreciates in value as I will never sell my guns. No one to inherit them either. Took me a long time to figure out what I like, but, the ones I have are the ones I like to shoot. I think it was O'Connor (or Townsend?) who said, 'only accurate guns are interesting'. If it doesn't shoot well, I don't care how good it looks, it is just a boat anchor.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast