Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: SR 4756 subs for cb rifle??

SR 4756 subs for cb rifle??

I've had nothing but excellent results with the discontinued SR 4756 when loading low velocity cast in .30-30. Really bums me that it's no longer made.

Have any members here found a good substitute for my application? I see shotgunners talking about substitutes, but that's not rifle shooting.

I can read a burn chart, so I don't need a list of similarities there. I'm hopeful one or more rifle shooters who found good accuracy with 4756 will hand down their best substitute. I've tried Red and Green Dot, Herco, Unique and a host of the more common pistol powders - nothing equals what I've got with 4756 in the way of small groups.

Thanks and have a nice cast.
    PBSmith
    Last edited by PBSmith; 01-28-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Boolit Master

IMR4756 was my .38 Special powder years ago. I didn't know it was discontinued until I ran out and tried to find some more. Great little powder and I never tried it in a rifle. I went to Bullseye when I couldn't 4756. I never shot a whole lot of cast in rifles except for my roller and I used black mostly on that until I discovered that TrailBoss gave better accuracy in the .43 Spanish I have. my experience , james

Boolit Buddy
    I used sr4756 for years in the silhouette game. For 357 mag replacement I use titegroup. For 30-30 I went with 5744 until the price got to high. Now I use buffalo rifle in place of 5744. Unique will also work.

Boolit Grand Master

I used WSF for similar velocity and accuracy in the 30/06 with 200 gr cast. I still use SR4756 for RB loads in 12 ga, although I haven't shot or loaded any in a few years. Alcan AL5 was similar also but always left unburnt flakes, and good luck finding that.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of this stuff. What calibers have you found it useful in? Any good data sources?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I have a bunch of this stuff. What calibers have you found it useful in? Any good data sources?
    What stuff?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Sr4756
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Sr4756
    Your lucky!! Data is in Lyman CB manual #3, RCBS Cast #1 and probably a bunch more.

Just looked and some for rifles in Lyman #4
    Last edited by swheeler; 02-02-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: 411
    Charter Member #148

This is what was posted in S&W forum by someone
    An article in a recent Shooting Times said according to Hodgdon the fairly new W572 will make a good substitute for SR4756.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloadi...sr-4756-a.html

I also seen in the video of Hodgen said some thing about it also of this powder for a replacement
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I originally bought a 1/2 pound of SR 4756 to load 12 ga slugs. Then I found out it shoots pretty well in my 30-06 with the Lyman 311284. Now that SR 4756 is no longer made, I am hoarding my last bit of it. Although it is not close in burn rate, I found that H4895 is the only other powder that will give a semblance of accuracy with my Interarms 30-06 and the 311284 boolit.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I had stock up on it when I could at the time. I am good for a time now
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Have you tried Bluedot? sr4756 was good powder, but not the end of the world. SR4759 was the real bummer.

Boolit Buddy
    I got pot lucky about a year ago and found 6 8oz. sealed cans at the gunshow. I almost fell down; and I almost broke my fingers reaching for the cash. It was my go-to powder for midrange 41 mag loads and I've loaded a barrel full in 11/4 oz. 12 gauge field loads. I contacted Hodgdon about the possibility of them running a bunch of the SR powders up in Canada. They told me if I had 48 million bucks they'd fire the plant up and make 3 million lbs. If anyone has a quantity for sale reasonably priced, shoot me an email at bulletcaster@yahoo.com.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Have you tried Bluedot? sr4756 was good powder, but not the end of the world. SR4759 was the real bummer.
    Oh, I soaked my crying towel way back on the disappearance of SR 4759. True, that was a much greater loss than SR 4756, at least for me. No, I haven't tried Blue Dot but intend to as soon as I get hold of it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    This is what was posted in S&W forum by someone
    An article in a recent Shooting Times said according to Hodgdon the fairly new W572 will make a good substitute for SR4756.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloadi...sr-4756-a.html

I also seen in the video of Hodgen said some thing about it also of this powder for a replacement
    Trapper, thanks for that alert. I will check it out and watch for reports from users.

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I used WSF for similar velocity and accuracy in the 30/06 with 200 gr cast. I still use SR4756 for RB loads in 12 ga, although I haven't shot or loaded any in a few years. Alcan AL5 was similar also but always left unburnt flakes, and good luck finding that.
    Some other possibilities. Have some AL5 - thought it would only be of historic interest. Will look into that. Thanks.