MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS LAM-2 Heater

Boolit Buddy

RCBS LAM-2 Heater

Anyone, use the New RCBS Lube-A-Matic Heater?
    I am thinking about getting an RCBS LAM-2 and replacing my Lyman 4500. With the whole change in being the way the RCBS handle.
    I just do not like the way the Lyman wrench works. But heats fine. Too bad, I can not just drill a hole in an RCBS.
    Also, I have limited space on a desk and it will bolt to the RCBS accessory plate I have

Boolit Master

I'm assuming you don't like the RCBS sliding T handle. Use a ¼” drive ½” 6 point socket with a slot cut in it to allow a bolt to go through the top of the luber screw and you can eliminate that annoying double ended ball to apply pressure. The ¼” drive socket wrench works much nicer. I cut the slot with a metal angle grinder. And ou’re not messing with the factory setup. Think I paid $1.59 for the socket! My heater is the old Midway model.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS-Socket.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	234846
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

I use the Lyman heater and it is drilled and tapped for RCBS

Boolit Buddy

I just recently bought the RCBS heater and it mounted up to the newer RCBS accessory plate nicely. Works great so far.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    I'm assuming you don't like the RCBS sliding T handle. Use a ¼” drive ½” 6 point socket with a slot cut in it to allow a bolt to go through the top of the luber screw and you can eliminate that annoying double ended ball to apply pressure. The ¼” drive socket wrench works much nicer. I cut the slot with a metal angle grinder. And ou’re not messing with the factory setup. Think I paid $1.59 for the socket! My heater is the old Midway model.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS-Socket.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	234846
    No Sorry I should have been more clear.
    I have a Lyman 4500 now and do not like the wrench they give with it it is small.
    So thinking of selling the Lyman and getting an RCBS. Since the sliding handle with the ball looks better and easy on my hand.
    So wondering how guys/gals like that set up as well as the new heater or if anyone has retrofitted a Lyman heater as that works great.
    As well as having the option of bolting the Lube/sizer right to the Assy. Plate.

Boolit Master
    Hated the sliding handle with the ball, too short for any kind of leverage. Even the small Lyman ratchet isn't much better. Converted mine to take a 1/4 drive Craftsman ratchet.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

There’s a reason I own four LAM1 sizers. That reason is the stupid ball and handle on the LAM2. I know you can cut a socket. But the stock setup is horrible.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There’s a reason I own four LAM1 sizers. That reason is the stupid ball and handles on the LAM2. I know you can cut a socket. But the stock setup is horrible.
    My Lyman is hardly used and was thinking the RCBS would be an upgrade. So was gonna sell it locally before it showed wear.
    I stopped using that factory wrench, and use a long 1/4" breaker bar and a socket.
    I do like the ball handle that screws on to operate it.
    I am short on space so had all my press's bolted to a wooden stand like Lyman used to sell. I made up a few of them with Cabinet grade plywood. And used my old Lyman one as a pattern. So I could C-Clamp one to a table or desk. Or even take one outside to De-Cap
    Does the RCBS LAM-2 use the same rod size and ball as the Turret Press? I bought one of them on a whim.
    Just wanted some idea of what the RCBS handle looks like.
    Here is a RCBS Video of one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KyQzigVLk
    I have also made up a nice board and mounted a RCBS Assy Plate to it to be able tio get away from the indavidal stands.
    After starting this thread weh out and drilled an extra hole. Tapped it to 3/8-20 and mounted the Lyman to it.
    As I am limited in space. As you can see I also drilled the board so I can turn it 180* and mount the RCBS Motorised Trimmer easy.

Edit I have to takle a shot of the board

Boolit Buddy

This in my hand made RCBS LAM II heater.
    Work nicely.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RECALIBRADORA 4.jpg  

Attachment 241784
    This is what I came up with to heat my two Lyman lubrisizers. I used a single old style heater and a piece of aluminum to transfer the heat with everything mounted on oak. I also converted the orange one to the old style handle as it felt better to me. The grey was had to be totally cleaned but turned out nice.

Boolit Master

I use a 60W light bulb "heater" and a towel.

1.) Turn on light bulb.
    2.) Set next to LAM 2.
    3.) Put towel over both.
    4.) 20 minutes later and I am lubing and sizing.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    340six - The next time you are in Sears take a look at the Craftsman ratcheting box end wrenches. Physically, they are bigger than the wrench Lyman supplies and may fit your hand better. Or you could get a 1/4 inch socket and at ratchet socket wrench handle.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    340six - The next time you are in Sears take a look at the Craftsman ratcheting box end wrenches. Physically, they are bigger than the wrench Lyman supplies and may fit your hand better. Or you could get a 1/4 inch socket and at ratchet socket wrench handle.
    You may have missed it, but SEARS is no more!

Boolit Master
    If the Sears close to you has closed check for Craftsman wrenches at Ace Hardware or Lowes instead.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I actually like the sliding rod and ball you can buy larger balls for it if needed. Not sure how much leverage you need i push the fiber washers over the step in the shaft as it is. Just recently started using wifes old hair dryer to heat it to try and stop killing washers only takes a minute or two and lube is soft once soft it will stay soft as long as i don't stop sizing.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by luis7 View Post
    This in my hand made RCBS LAM II heater.
    Work nicely.
    Thanks.
    I did the same thing, except I added a hole for the thermocouple in order to use my PID to control the cartridge heater. Works really good!
    Hopelessly afflicted with a life long addiction to the rifled bore!

Two things always make me smile, powder smoke wafting down the firing line and the ring of a Garand clip hitting the ground.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    Anyone, use the New RCBS Lube-A-Matic Heater?
    I have the RCBS Lube-A-Matic (LAM) Heater, it works very well.
    I was using the Lyman universal heater but was frustrated by how often I had to unplug it to stop over heating the sizer and lube. I was going to install an in-line rocker switch to the power cord.

When I saw the new thermostat controlled LAM heater I ordered one soon as they became available (l think it took a year to finally be available). I have the LAM heater working under a Redding Lubri-sizer.

The Redding lubri-sizer presents it own set of problems: very uncomfortable press lever, I got to get some padding on that lever arm.
    The hollow ring that holds the lube and sizer die is slow to warm up at the front farthest from the heat source.
    The Lyman universal heater has the cartridge heater inserted on the right hand side close to the front edge as the mounting holes will allow. The RCBS LAM heater has the cartridge heater mounted on the left hand side near the rear edge so it does take longer for the heat to flow into the lubri-sizer.
    My lube is homemade Emmerts. When the heat setting is good for flowing the lube into the rear and side of the sizer die it still too cool to flow well through the front holes in the sizer die. Turning up the heat a bit to get good front hole flow but makes the lube too warm at the rear so things start to get messy. I have just been turning the once sized bullet to place the gap in the applied lube ring to the rear and working the lever to send the bullet down again. That slow and tedious but it gets the job done.

I have only used the new heater for about 5 sizing sessions so far I am pleased with the RCBS LAM heater.

Boolit Master

I think, from a preliminary trial, but not tried in the working environment yet, that I have hacked the $5.88 Glade Plugin Scented Oil Warmer with its 1.9 watt, 120V, 60Hz, 2-prong plug, heating element for use as a lube-sizer (L-S) warmer. I got mine when it was discovered vampiring electricity without scent in the Guest Bathroom! She'll never miss it...

https://www.officesupply.com/cleanin...4b8a508091388b

1.) Remove the plastic barrel components from the upper end of the warmer, without severing the two small copper wires to the heating element that run down the "wall side" of the warmer's long axis

2.) Cut away, with a hack saw, a portion of the plastic parts beside and below the heating element

3.) Apply some JB Weld to fix the element in the horizontal plane (or other angle, see below) to the remaining plastic below the element

4.) Plug it in, and set the element "hole-centric" on one of the bolts holding the L-S to the bench. My warmer element has a bolt sized hole through the middle. Or, other angle, zip tie to the L-S main body.

5.) Pre-warm the L-S with a 50W light bulb and the 1.9W warmer element should do the duty for the remainder of your lube-sizing without breaking the bank on electricity.

Last edited by Land Owner; 02-14-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    No Sorry I should have been more clear.
    I have a Lyman 4500 now and do not like the wrench they give with it it is small.
    So thinking of selling the Lyman and getting an RCBS. Since the sliding handle with the ball looks better and easy on my hand.
    So wondering how guys/gals like that set up as well as the new heater or if anyone has retrofitted a Lyman heater as that works great.
    As well as having the option of bolting the Lube/sizer right to the Assy. Plate.
    I just recently purchased the RCBS lubri sizer. I've never owned anything else. I LIKE the sliding TEE handle with the knobs. I use the SPG lube, and don't need a heater.