RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Moly coated bullets

Boolit Master

Moly coated bullets

I saw several boxes of 6MM Hornady moly coated bullets in a yard sale Saturday but I have never used them and hesitated to buy. I talked to two friends about them and they said they had never used them either but had heard that they did cause problems in some rifles. Anyone here ever try moly coated bullets? The women who had the yard sale said I could come back if I changed my mind. The price was negotiable. There were also about a gazillion 180 gr 44 cal gas check cast bullets that were sized, lubed & check installed. They were called Devastators. She said her husband and friends liked to shoot water melons with them. That would be fun, expensive but fun.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I have ran them in 45 acp. Both in pistol and my carbine. No issues with leading. They were accurate too.

Boolit Grand Master

I used moly coated bullets in the 80s and early 90s. I never had any issues with them. At the time they were thought to increase barrel life. Once the barrel is impregnated its hard to remove. I cleaned with kroil shooters choice benchrest mixed 50-50. Barrels did clean much easier after a days match. I did do the coating myself for awhile.

Boolit Master

Some guys were having a problem with molly coated bullets. I think it was blown a little out of proportion. The problems were the worst with a barrel that was already copper fouled and molly is fired on top of it. The molly could sometimes coat the copper fouling and make it a bugger to scrub out. If the price is right my 2 cents says give them a try. Also sized and checked Devastators are good property.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Some guys were having a problem with molly coated bullets. I think it was blown a little out of proportion. The problems were the worst with a barrel that was already copper fouled and molly is fired on top of it. The molly could sometimes coat the copper fouling and make it a bugger to scrub out. If the price is right my 2 cents says give them a try. Also sized and checked Devastators are good property.
    Thanks guys. boomer, I wish you were here, you could have a double life time supply of Devastators. The man filled several of those cookie cans with them, neatly double stacked. He left his wife with all that stuff to get rid. The man was a dedicated bullet caster. Unfortunately all his casting equipment had been cobbed onto by friends. The lady said her son took all the guns. I asked, why didn't he take these reloading supplies? She said, oh he doesn't shoot. He never goes to the range. Go figure. He took the money is what he did and left his elderly mom with the **** to try and sell in a yard sale. What a guy.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus
    I still use moly coated bullets in 223. No problems at all! I do believe that they extend the accurate life of a barrel, which can matter when you shoot a couple thousand bullets per year.

I still use them in my Ruger .22-250, but I had the barrel cryo'ed after removing all the copper fouling and then treated it with liquid moly. It went from shooting moa to ligit 1/2 moa once the moly was shot in. Never had a problem but you really have to get any copper out. Also start over with load workup.

Edit, fixed final moa, went back and looked and found it shoots 1/2 not quarter, I can only wish.
    Last edited by Minerat; 01-29-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I was gifted some of the moly coat but I have never used any I have heard the stories about how it will gum a barrel up and how hard it was to clean which to tell the true kind of made me hold off using it. This is the first positive information. From my understanding was you coated jacketed bullets with it to make them slicker so can you use it on cast bullets just as well its been so long since I looked at the container it may be worthless or dried up now.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Moderator Emeritus
    The moly I use is a powder. Here is a tutorial that is pretty similar to how I coat them. I tumble the bullets for 30-60 minutes, but with a lot more bullets in a smaller tumbler, I may not be getting as much vibration: https://www.theboxotruth.com/educati...rifle-bullets/

After the bullets are coated, I throw some sawdust in the tumbler, with it running, for about 10 minutes to polish the bullets. I coat 500 .223 bullets at a time. Works very well. I don't use a wax coating.

Here are directions from Berger: http://bergerbullets.com/official-moly-coating-process/

Another article: http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating.html
    Last edited by garandsrus; 01-30-2019 at 09:51 PM.

I had some in spray cans like paint, I'll have to get in the shed to find it this weekend so I can get a name. Would set the bullets in the sun to get warm before spraying. Once the spray sets it's pretty durable. I clean the moly guns with a 50\50 mix of Kroil and Shooters Choice. You just need to get the powder fouling out since the moly bonds to the barrel when you first treat it, lead or copper does not stick and the kroil will get it out and leave the moly base.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

I started tumbling the moly in with the neco kit and small steel ball bearings in a rcbs sidewinder. worked good and came out with a very even coating. I did stop using the balls though and got the same coating. I found that to much moly powder resulted in blotched spotty bullets. Only a very small amount is needed. I didn't wax them either. The wax was a seal mostly to keep hands clean when handling. I also found that tumbling the bullets 15-20 mins in clean corncobs before coating made for a better coating/plating. I did 22 cal 75 grn and 80 grn, 243 87 grn 105 grn 107 grn and 115 grn, 6.5mm in 143 and 147 grn, 40 cal in 155 grn 168 grn and 175 grn.

Boolit Master
    I have used moly-coated bullets in a few rifles, starting with the NECO kit then modifying. If a barrel is less than pristine, a little rough or some pits, maybe a crooked or off-center throat (think older factory rifles) the moly helps accuracy quite a bit with jacketed bullets. Downside - if you live in humid areas, or you hunt is rainy/snowing weather, the moly can cause corrosion of carbon steel barrels. You may gain 100+ fps with the same pressure. You must start with a very clean barrel and sometimes it takes a few shots to 'season' the barrel before it settles down. Care in cleaning after starting with moly is needed, usually just wet with Kroil and let sit, then dry patch. I let the rifle sit, wet with Kroil, then patch dry to shoot or hunt. I have also wet with WD40 in foul weather, then dry patched. I found good first round accuracy using moly and the Kroil or WD40 dry patched. I have not fooled with moly on boolits as most of the bullet lubes take care of the problem barrels.

I moly all of my jacketed bullets and seal them with Carnauba wax. It keeps the copper fouling at a minimum with high speed bullets like the 220 Swift, 6mm Rem etc. After as few as 10 rounds without moly, copper fouling is present. You can see it when a patch with Sweets, is pushed down the barrel, it will turn navy blue.