RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linotype price

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive got a couple hundred lbs of mono and foundry maybe I ought to dig through it.
    I have 3 buckets of mixed type, mostly Foundry type, left over from my days of working part time at the local paper. I've been thinking of looking through it too! I've had it for more than 40 years and I don't know how long it sat in the corner at the local paper when I rescued it. Kind of funny now but not knowing any better when I first started casting, I cast bullets with it! It sure made a pretty bullet but talk about hard!

Banned

Heck if I sold it the money probably couldn't buy me more. Its getting tough to find and I think ill just keep it for alloying.

Boolit Master

It's funny how often cast bullet manuals will list the bullets in their recipes as "linotype". How many people cast using pure linotype anymore?

I nearly quit casting when I was first starting 30 years ago. I had a cheap Lee mold and the only instructions I had at the time were what came with it. As I recall it said I needed "10-1 alloy". I had some scrap lead, but where to get tin? Off to the hardware store to buy a roll of solder.

By the time I figured out the right ratio to alloy the 60/40 solder into the lead, I had about 6 pounds of the most expensive bullet metal around. I couldn't figure out how anyone could afford to cast. Some time later someone else told me that Lee's 10-1 advice was total **, and all I needed was a bucket of wheel weights.

Of course now lead wheel weights are a thing of the past. I lucked into a bunch of linotype myself about a decade ago. I still have a fair amount of it left, and just alloy it with range scrap.

I buy it from Ebay when I find it for about $1 per pound... I'm sitting on a couple hundred lbs at this point.
    There's a listing for 50 lbs for $55 right now...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    I got lucky a couple months ago and got 40# of foundry type for $65 shipped. I'm guarding it closely waiting for warmer weather. It's big letters and worth a ton to me.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Many people prefer it in type form, in type form they're 100% sure what they are getting.
    Ditto - I use type metal as is to make boolit alloy...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12