Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: NOE or MiHec

Boolit Bub

NOE or MiHec

Can someone help me out, am a little confused. I want a brass mold that's at least 4 cavity, hollow point, 125 to 135 or so grains, drops at 359 so I can use for 9mm or 38/357, lube groove (so I can powder coat or use lubrisizer), non-gas check. The model numbers and descriptions at NOE have me a little confused, I'm not getting what some of the prefixes and suffex mean.......what would such an animal be at NOE? ....and what at MiHec would fit the bill? If NOE has it in stock I know I can have it in 3 days or so but how long do the MiHec's that are in stock (if they are in stock) take to ship and be delivered to the US? If MiHec's aren't in stock then how often do they do a runs, am I looking at waiting for months if I want something from MiHec?

Boolit Grand Master
    Just have to check with each. I have both and they both are top shelf. NOE has been faster, by far. YMMV

Boolit Master

all are good and just bought a mold from these people good stuff http://arsenalmolds.com/products?page=3 Mold was here in less than a week.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I believe this is what you want, but they are out. Write to them and ask them to make one. I saw on facebook that NOE is wanting folks to tell them which molds they need to restock.

Link:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...25qmbje1jgmp16

Picture:

Miha has one in stock, but it does not have a lube groove. I didn't see one with a groove in stock. It takes about 9 business days to ship here. It's not a bad wait, considering what a great mold you get when it arrives. But if you have to wait for a group buy, that might take 3 months or 2 years. I'd go with NOE if MP doesn't have what you want in stock.
    https://mp-molds.com/e-shop/molds/al...no-lube-groove

I don't think Arsenal makes hollow point molds.

Also, you could just post a WTB ad on the swappin and sellin page. There are a lot of these floating around the guys in the forum.
    Good luck!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE or MiHec

If you want a NOE then you want a RG mold. Those are the hollow points and are listed as RG-2 and RG-4. The hyphen may or may not be there. The mold numbers are usually Diameter-Weight-Profile. 358-124-TC is a truncated come 124 grain bullet that drops at .358. The weights and diameters are usually slightly more than the model number.

For Mihec you want a 359-125 or 359-135. The 359-125 is a hollow point mold that’s been run a lot. It makes 125 grain hollow points and 135 grain solids. The 359-135 is a solid only version of that bullet. There was at least a 357-135 version run which is a smaller diameter bullet. I’m pretty sure he ran a 357-125 hollow point as well. I don’t know if he’s changed his model numbers but that’s what’s engraved on my molds and there were multiple group buys for that bullet design over the years. Mold has standard lube grooves and no gas check.

Boolit Master
    I like both makers, but I much prefer the Cramer style HP arrangement of the MP molds over the RG style HP pins on the NOE molds. For solids, it's a tossup for me, for HP molds, I'll take the MP any day.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned

Never had a bad NOE mold. Can not say that about MP. Had 4 of them that were out of spec and needed work. One was so bad off center the bullets would not come out one side. And that was after waiting for 2 years to get it. Then I never got a reply back from Miha so I just sold it with the note it was bad and off center. Other mold the pins were either too large or the holes were not drilled large enough for them. After he sent new ones that were the (correct diameter) they still would not slide. So I fixed them my self. They all seem to need a little venting issue at the top that a little file work fixes.

I wish they were better. After fixing them they are great molds. It just seems myself and a few others seem to get the bad ones. I am NOT the only one.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 7 NOE molds and they are are as advertised. 4 used from members here and 3 new purchases. All of these molds cast beautifully when preheated. I love the NOE molds as they cast exactly as advertised with wheel weights which we all use. 2% tin and a PID on your pot will give you the silver boolits you are looking for.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.....just a couple more questions......on the NOE molds, what is the "drill for probe" option? ...........and if I went with one that was designed to take a gas check but didn't routinely use them would there be any downside or disadvantages to that? Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spur0701 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.....just a couple more questions......on the NOE molds, what is the "drill for probe" option? ...........and if I went with one that was designed to take a gas check but didn't routinely use them would there be any downside or disadvantages to that? Thanks
    Temperature probe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have 18 or 19 Mihec molds and 4-5 NOE. All are good. I had an issue with an NOE mold casting oversize and oblong but they corrected it and all is good. All my Mihec and NOE molds cast beautifully. Mihec can be a bit tough to get a hold of but his molds are great and it they ship fairly quickly despite being overseas. I've had them in as little as a week. Some have taken 2-3 weeks but tracking showed most of that time was spent in customs. If he doesn't have it in stock it may be a while so you have to keep checking back to see when he has a run of the mold you're looking for.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Banned
    Both companies make excellent molds. The deciding factor to me was BUY AMERICAN.

Boolit Master

Very good point Conditor22.
    Denny

Boolit Master

If you want a hollow point, I've got to say that I VASTLY prefer the MP Cramer arrangement to the NOE tilting pins. The MP setup provides a flat bottom to slide across your mold guide where the NOE complicates matters with pin hardware.

My two MP's are both brass, hollow base .455 Webley MKII and MKIV, and as such were a bit of a less frequent, custom run sort of thing. Some of Miha's group buys take a LOOOONG time, but his 9mm's seem to be very popular and are often run.

If you want a solid, the NOE brass molds are EXCELLENT! I especially like the tumble lube Ranch Dog variants - such as: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...csu4nr9116cf20

and also: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...csu4nr9116cf20

Personally, since you're looking to feed an auto and a wheelgun with a big enough diameter and optimal weight spread, I'd get two molds.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Years ago I tried to get Mihec to hold a mold for me for a week as I am retired and funds are tough at time to get a hold of. He never responded. I have never had an issue with NOE and yes I have a lot of his molds and will buy more. YMMV
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Both companies produce quality molds, so it gets down to your wants as far as design. If you are going to powder coat then an oversized mold is a disadvantage as a properly coated bullet has an increased diameter and the more it is originally oversized the more metal that has to be moved somewhere when it is sized. I personally haven't found any advantage to sizing more than .001" over the groove diameter. On most of my barrels that works out to about .0015" over bore.

As far as gas check molds for PC handgun bullets, checks are not needed, and just increase the amount of time, effort and cost of the bullet.

Since I own several HP molds as well as standard molds from numerous manufacturers I would suggest you consider buying a standard mold and forget the HP design as they are problematic on a multi-cavity mold. Additionally, brass molds produce good bullets, but are considerably heaver and fatiguing to use. When it really gets down to it most don't make that many HP bullets. If you really want a HP mold I would suggest purchasing a quality double cavity iron mold then sending it to Erick and have the two cavities converted to HP. Erick's HP design is so much better than any other mold company's design and just works better. I realize what I suggest is more costly, but I believe you will be much happier in the long run. I realize to each his own, but having and using all types of molds I personally prefer iron molds and out of those I believe the H&G and the old Saeco molds to be the best, they have certainly have proven themselves with time.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a NOE mold and it runs perfectly, casts hp, Cup point and flatnose depending on the pin used. I can see no issues with it. I have several of Eric's hp conversions and his work is also impeccable.

Boolit Master

I have HP molds from both and I can say I like both. The MP ones do slide easier on a mold guide with his cramer design. NOE being US based is able to respond quicker to issues with a mold, that said I've never had a problem with a MP mold and only rarely had an issue with an NOE mold (a 5 cavity Saeco 221 clone NOE mold I have has a single sticky cavity but it isn't bad enough, or used enough to have ever done anything about, I have no doubt Al would have taken care of it quicky).

Boolit Master
    I didn't say NOE molds were bad, I own more than a $1000 of NOE molds; if they were bad I would certainly not own more than one. I said the NOE HP molds are more problematic meaning the pins tend to stick and require tweaking to improve performance even then the NOE HP design is not as efficient as Erick's HP design. However, if NOE was all you ever had you would be as happy as a clam in a tub of corn meal.