Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag suggestions

Boolit Master

Don't limit yourself to one 44, get several from each manufactures.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Don't limit yourself to one 44, get several from each manufactures.
    They're only $800-$1500 each, might as well get one of every brand.

Signed: Guy who daily drives a truck I couldn't get $700 bucks for.

Boolit Man
    Ruger sbh is the only one I own, a set of Houge grips went a long way to making it fun to shoot!

I am a S&W shooter. I have a couple m29-2s and don't shoot magnum loads in them. I've got at least 2 of each
    N frame in older models. If you are going to shoot magnum loads get a Ruger SA or DA. I deer hunt with old 3screw SBH. I don't care who says what, the 29/629 will not take a steady diet of magnum loads. It's just common sense derived from the design. Ruger Redhawk is a tank and will take a lot more mag loads. I've shot loose more than I revolver in my life when I was young & dumb.

I'm pretty fond of this one.

Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Buddy

The 44 Magnum is my favorite caliber, and I own more guns in 44 Mag than any other caliber.

Currently I have 10 Smith & Wesson 44 Magnums, and 3 Rugers. Two of the Rugers are birth year Guns, my main reason for keeping them.

Hickok45 says he’s got 70,000 rounds thru a model 29 that he bought in the early 70s. Good enough for me.
    Last edited by Warhawk; 02-13-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post

Howdy Neighbor, I’ve got the 3 screw flat top version of that one.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Well, considering they reportedly used a model 57 as a stand in, which was a 6” half lug, probably not, but a good revolver in its own right.
    Not true, at least not in the final scene. I recorded DIRTY HARRY on my DVR and was able to watch it in slow motion and stop it when I wanted to. In the final scene you can plainly see the pinned barrel and the words 44 MAGNUM on the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Not true, at least not in the final scene. I recorded DIRTY HARRY on my DVR and was able to watch it in slow motion and stop it when I wanted to. In the final scene you can plainly see the pinned barrel and the words 44 MAGNUM on the barrel.

Perhaps it was more urban legend. My apologies.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/201...th-and-wesson/

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just tried the $13 Wolff spring kit. Save your money. My unaltered factory trigger brakes at 42 oz. and the Wolff spring bumped it to 58oz. The updated double action Wolff spring pulls almost 2 lbs heavier than my factory spring as well. The good part...guess I can say it’s good, during install the long faceplate screw is missing! I bought the pistol new back in the day. It’s never been apart and the grip never off. I think colt never installed one. Needless to say colt dosent stock parts for them anymore and I was lucky enough to find a new, old stock stainless factory screw on eBay for $12 shipped. Numeric and the other parts houses were blued and another third mark up.

I also found that the red dot slid back on me. I just sprayed some 3M adhesive on the inside of my rings like I did on the 450BM and will lock tite the screws back in.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-13-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Perhaps it was more urban legend. My apologies.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/201...th-and-wesson/
    No problem, I'd heard the same thing for years. Had to prove it to myself.

I can tell you what not to buy...a desert eagle. Had one I bought years ago in brushed nickel with both 50 ae and 44 mag barrels along with a coulple of leupold Gilmore dots Mounted with three rings. I could out shoot it all day long with my $489 colt andaconda so I sold my $2600 investment and bought a arctic cat 400 with a plow with the funds. Best thing I ever did...get rid of that boat anchor. I would pull the trigger on the 50 ae and the recoil would lift my pistol over my head. One shot and your game is dead or gone because your not getting another shot. The 44 mag barrel’s rifling was so shallow that you couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn if locked in it. Poor machining for a lot of money. It had a big pit in the frame from the factory with an orange rust spot bleeding through. I sent it in. They just replaced over the dimple and never filled it in. The only thing it was good for was to impress friends...till they shoot it. I would have taken a cheap Taurus raging bull over it. Better quality and would outshoot it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-13-2019 at 09:31 PM.

That's the one I'd want - I prefer the .41 that length also. The most handgun recoil I can accurately control in a portable size.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger Super Redhawk fan here. Reload with 9 grains of Unique, and you can shoot all day.

I can see why you are.
    That's what a six gun ought to look like, Elmer would be proud!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I have the twin to that 4 5/8 SBH with similar grips. I also have a 5" and 6.5" 629, both with full lug barrels. I have a red dot on the 6.5 and an Uncle Mikes chest rig for it. If I recall right, it was in Magnum Force where Harry Callahan explained to the 2 cycle cops that he shot .44 specials in his gun for more manageable recoil. Anyone else recall that? GF

I just put up 2, 303 British and a 1917 enfield for sale. This thread has me fired up to buy a Ruger Bisley super black hawk hunter 44 mag. Might go with a 41 mag special run if I can find one.

Here’s my 329ng with some trail boss plinkers. There’s no way your not going to think it’s loaded when its pointed at you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8A54D64-F130-47EF-807B-665DF7BBBEBA.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	236329

Boolit Master

at first i thought i was looking at my 41 magnum Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180801_182046_resized.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	236330
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I’m biased to the single action ones, and Ruger Super Blackhawk. I was at the range yesterday shooting some powerful 240gr loads, and it was not unbearable, the thing is a tank of a hand cannon
    Last edited by Cast_outlaw; 02-19-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I have one of these among my 44 Mag revolvers. Mine was made in the early 90s. I've had it for almost 20 years, and purchased it from the original owner (a friend of mine).

I've shot many hundreds of rounds through it, with zero problems. It is an easy shooter, I think the grip design works very well. I've not mounted a scope on mine, but have considered a reddot of some sort.

I load up 44 special equivalent for my 115lb wife to shoot, she loves it.
    I own a Taurus Model 444 that I bought in 1999. It is a great revolver. Locks up tight with ~ 0.002” clearance between cylinder and bore. It also sports double cylinder locks. Shoots ~ 3” groups at 50 yards from a rest. Like many mfrs, Taurus tends to machine cylinder throats smaller than bore. Which is a leading problem with cast boolits or the old style jacketed hollow points. It is an easy fix with reamer rental after slugging the bore and cylinder throat to get accurate cal measurements. My Taurus 444 sports 5 substantial grooves and a tight twist. It is well suited to heavy for caliber bullets.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast