RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag suggestions

The best part of most magnums is its (44) special counterpart.

My first 44 mag was a Virginia Dragoon,awesome revolver and wish I still had it.Then I bought a S&W 629 Classic with 8-3/8" barrel because somebody told me they get 1-1/2" groups at 80 yards with it,scoped out with a red dot.They weren't lying.I have actually got some 4 inch groups at a hundred yards with mine.I still have it but my Ruger Super Black Hawk sees more action.I've shot some pretty healthy handloads in the 629 but I wouldn't want to feed it a steady diet of the hot loads.The Ruger is a tank.My bad wrists with the Carpal Tunnel doesn't allow me to shoot hot anymore and even some light loads in a 44 mag are stout.I have since moved more to my 44 special BlackHawk and my 45 Colt.BH.wich are more fun by the way so give that some thought too.You did say it wasn't going to be for carry or hunting so why punish yourself.I know plenty guys that just had to have a 44 mag,only to be sorry after they shot it for a short time or only one time,when they couldn't hit the broad side of the barn because of the punishing recoil.It takes a lot of shooting to master it.

Boolit Buddy
    See if you can find someplace you can try the various models/configurations. Only you will know which gun is for you.

Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul105 View Post
    See if you can find someplace you can try the various models/configurations. Only you will know which gun is for you.

Paul
    For my money, Paul105's is the best suggestion offered. In Spokane, we have a place called Sharp Shooting range where you can try all kinds of handguns before you buy. Perhaps there is a similar outfit in the northeast?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    There is a place within 5 miles that used to offer guns to try before buying, but I'm not sure they still do that after the 3 or so suicides in the past few years. I will give them a call.
    I'm sort of an impulse buyer when it comes to guns but this one I'm going to take some time and do some research. I've looked around on local websites and there are a few 44 mags available. It's funny but gunshops around here are like barber shops - they're closed on Mondays.

Let me throw this out - I have several semiautos in various calibers but I do not have a 1911 in .45, though I do have a .45 S&W revolver (1917). What would be the better to have - 1911 .45 or 44 mag?
    Again, not a carry gun.

"What would be the better to have - 1911 .45 or 44 mag?"
    Two entirely different animals.I shot 1911's in informal competitions and own about 5 of them now,even one from 1942.All Colts by the way.I had to use a Dillon 650 to pump out the cartridges because of all the shooting I did with a Les Bare I used to have for comp.You really should be a handloader cause you can burn through a box of cartridges in a hurry and that can get expensive but the 1911 is fun to shoot.It does require a good bit of time to be able to handle one well though.The 44 mag.? Well you already know pretty much about that.It can bite.Fun to me is something kind to my carpal tunnel now.Most of my shooting was at 50 feet with my 1911's but if you want to shoot at and hit a steel gong at 100 yards,then get the 44 mag.,44 special or 45 Colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Let me throw this out - I have several semiautos in various calibers but I do not have a 1911 in .45, though I do have a .45 S&W revolver (1917). What would be the better to have - 1911 .45 or 44 mag?
    Again, not a carry gun.
    Now you've gone and opened a huge can of worms… A 1911 or a 44 Mag? The only correct answer is both!

The .44 Mag is definitely the more versatile gun with the option to shoot Magnum or the lighter .44 Special loads. However the 45 ACP 1911 is probably going to be much easier to find in your price range and the ammo is going to be much cheaper and easier to find.

A $700 to $800 price range would really open the options for both the .45 or the .44 however you should be able to find something with a little searching in the $600 range. For the revolver are you looking at single action or double action?

Boolit Master
    I have many single action antique revolvers, and I find that I mostly shoot my Ruger Speed Six and S&W Airweight in single action, so I'm thinking single action in .44 mag. As far as deciding between a 1911 or 44 mag...they're both on my "to get" list, but ****, I'm running out of time (that's my latest excuse to get another gun. I've worn out the "it's an investment" line).

Attachment 234848Battis, are you going to cast for this gun and what level are you going to load it to? The Ruger SRH is as accurate as any revolver I've ever owned and it is strong as a tank. I coated mine to kill the glare for hunting. The Smith & Wesson is no slouch either. I have both but when I head to the range I take the SRH because it's so rewarding to shoot. The weight keeps it from pounding you and it has a pretty good trigger to boot-not S&W good- but good none the less. I shoot 250 gr cast at 1000 fps very comfortably.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    As far as budget - I'll probably look for a used gun. I see them online in the $600 range. There's a few shops around that I'll check out. I'm pretty limited to guns that are already in MA, unless I find one that can be shipped that's MA compliant. Friggin' communists.
    I do have a Ruger Old Army that's a great gun, and I think it has a Blackhawk frame.
    Well that rules out my fav. the Freedom Arms '83.

Boolit Grand Master

A 44 magnum handgun, but not for hunting or carry? So only a range toy? Might as well get a desert eagle, plenty of fun. Heavy as can be, plus semi auto. If you go single action revolver, realize it is a whole different ball game from double action revolvers or light recoiling single actions. Maybe you will find it a fun challenge, maybe not. My choice is Ruger Redhawk if going revolver. The super redhawk is also good, if you like the models they have. I like the shorter barrel, blued model myself. Don't even consider a new Smith and Wesson. If you have to have a model 29 or variant, buy an old one. I've come to the unqualified opinion that S&W N-frames never could handle a lifetime of full power 44 magnum ammo. If you keep it to current factory loads or lighter, you will be better off. A Ruger lasts a lot longer, and you would have to be a silhouette shooter to wear one out. Dan Wesson is a very good option too, and would be the next best option after a Ruger Redhawk or super redhawk. A Dan Wesson might even be better for a range gun with the interchangeable barrels and larger size.

I would like to add that I just paid $704 for my Ruger Redhawk 5.5" blued model 5014, brand new. A good option, close to your budget.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-28-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Don't hunt, don't need any more carry guns. I'll load my own at moderate levels.
    Check out these local listings for Desert Eagles. The store is in MA.
    Magnum Research Desert Eagle (NOT for sale to MA residents) 44 mag $1,599.99
    Magnum Research Desert Eagle (NOT for sale to MA residents) 44 mag $1,899.99

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I am pretty happy with my Taurus .44 M44 Mag revolver. it has a 8 and 3/8 inch barrel. it is also factory ported too. I mounted a scope on my example.
    I have one of these among my 44 Mag revolvers. Mine was made in the early 90s. I've had it for almost 20 years, and purchased it from the original owner (a friend of mine).

I've shot many hundreds of rounds through it, with zero problems. It is an easy shooter, I think the grip design works very well. I've not mounted a scope on mine, but have considered a reddot of some sort.

I load up 44 special equivalent for my 115lb wife to shoot, she loves it.
    Last edited by Bookworm; 01-30-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Danged auto-spell gets me every time

Boolit Master

Again, not a carry gun.
    Well. . .in my book, owning a 1911 is a moral imperative. Comparing it to a .44 Mag. . .? Ok, I'll try.

The thing I've learned with casting bullets is that you can generate A LOT MORE penetration than you'd expect by simply manipulating shape and alloy. A typical expanding police duty load will stop in three, sometimes four, gallon milk jugs. I've gotten NINE out of a hard alloy 230 grain LBT LFN launched at standard military hardball speed of 830 fps. Figure you can get roughly equivalent performance out of any of the cowboy-era handgun cartridges that start with the number 4. These were rounds that were considered adequate to "**** both you AND the horse you rode in on".

The .44 Magnum can obviously be loaded to do exactly this, with the option of considerably more. The question is, "Do we NEED any more?" If you need long range, then yes. If you're trying to lethally anchor any critter from an elk down from a solid cardiovascular hit inside of 20 yards, probably not. . .at least so long as you put the right bullet in it.

A 1911 as JMB designed it to be made is a SERIOUS go-to-war accessory in that it is bomb-proof and readily field-serviceable, using nothing but its own parts as disassembly tools. My one and only handgun (if forced) would be a 1911 on those attributes alone. Diving into revolver guts is not for the faint-hearted, and I still marvel at all the consecutive mechanical miracles that have to occur to properly rotate and align multiple chambers in sequence.

That said, if you spend real time on one, a DA revolver with sensible loads in it may be the best handgun marksmanship training tool you can own, and the fundmentals you burn in with one translate over to correcting trigger-slap habits I've seen develop with single action guns like - guess what? - a 1911.

Truthfully, my revolver preferences of late are creeping more in the direction of the .357 Magnum. Given the penetration capabilities of cast that I outlined above, I'd rather have the lighter recoil and the lighter gun. That said, big heavies launched at 1000 fps or less are FUN!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

I really like the S&W and is MY first choice. But they aren't for people on a budget...add to the high price, the new ones can have some issues right out of the box and the nice used ones cost more than new ones, just because most everyone knows the new ones have some issues.

Ruger's are very good as well...would be my second choice. They are more affordable, but ususally have rough/heavy triggers, but they can be fixed. I like the Redhawk. I think the super redhawk is a tank, which is OK if you like heavy guns. The Black hawk is excellent if you are OK with single action.

Dan Wesson's are great guns, but are scarce in my area...but they would be my 3rd choice.

Rossi's can be good (pre-Taurus ownership), but they will have the larger SAAMI rifle specs.

Taurus...Only if you can find a used, known, well built (to spec)...new ones are a 50-50, meaning you got a 50% chance to get a lemon. Also, Taurus don't hold their value.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

I've always wanted a .44 magnum handgun. Any suggestions - Ruger, S&W...
    It won't be a carry or hunting gun.
    Here's an alternative to think about too.. Ruger recent production in the medium framed New Vaquero and New Model Blackhawk Flattop revolvers, especially some of the Lipsey's runs, have been the best fit and finished revolvers that Ruger has turned out, consistenty, in a LONG time. I was very impressed with the fine workmanship built into these THREE DIGIT PREFIX revolvers.

So.. How about a 44 Special in the medium framed Ruger that is safe to handload to 25,000psi which is basically a 250gr boolit at 1200fps, this is stepping right inside the bottom two steps of 44 magnum performance. Lighter gun, smaller and quick handling, less recoil, less powder required, accurate, more fun to shoot than the full size models with a full snort of H110.

Just something to think about.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Here's an alternative to think about too.. Ruger recent production in the medium framed New Vaquero and New Model Blackhawk Flattop revolvers, especially some of the Lipsey's runs, have been the best fit and finished revolvers that Ruger has turned out, consistenty, in a LONG time. I was very impressed with the fine workmanship built into these THREE DIGIT PREFIX revolvers.

So.. How about a 44 Special in the medium framed Ruger that is safe to handload to 25,000psi which is basically a 250gr boolit at 1200fps, this is stepping right inside the bottom two steps of 44 magnum performance. Lighter gun, smaller and quick handling, less recoil, less powder required, accurate, more fun to shoot than the full size models with a full snort of H110.

Just something to think about.
    Without a doubt.Plus#1

Banned

if I could have only one it would be my 4 5/8s Blackhawk but who could have just one 44 mag!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    That's just what I love about this forum, it is such a big room with so many knowledgeable folks with a total experience unmatched by any small group of friends one might have at a local level. If one is wanting to think outside the box on anything doing with casting, shooting, or loading, this is the place to be.

Boolit Master

Not to take anything away from any other posts, as there are a lot of excellent ideas here, but this is just my opinion based on my experience.

Personally I’m a fan of S&W revolvers. I have mostly older guns, a couple 29s, a 629, a 66 and a 686. They’re what I’m comfortable with and used to. I like the balance, feel, and triggers. I’ve tried to like Ruger double action revolvers but they’re not my favorite. I’m sure I could learn to like them if I had to, but I’m good with my S&Ws.

I don’t hot-rod my loads. Factory ballistics are fine for me (or lighter sometimes). If I did push them hard I’d have to learn to love the Ruger. I’ve never worn a gun out, but don’t want to either. Too many people say a steady diet of heavy loads is bad for a model 29, I have to listen. I don’t baby my S&Ws but I don’t want to abuse them either.

All that said, if I had to choose one handgun I think it would be a good .357 mag or a 1911. One of my favorite guns is an old S&W model 66, 4” stainless police gun from 1972. I picked it up used a few years ago at a local shop for $350. Pretty hard to beat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast