RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag suggestions

Boolit Master

44 mag suggestions

I've always wanted a .44 magnum handgun. Any suggestions - Ruger, S&W...
    It won't be a carry or hunting gun.

If you want to shoot hand loads buy Ruger. If shooting factory jacketed S&W is good. I like my hand loads a little warm and Ruger is much better for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    don't know how much you already know but rugers are good for pushing loads hot, but imo the mechanical feel isn't as nice as smith and wessons. then smiths are a bit the opposite. if you don't plan on heavy loads a lot id probably go smith for the feel of it, or ruger if you do, either super blackhawk or super redhawk. I like the 9.5" SRH cause I can get a lot of power with good accuracy and low recoil, the downside is its massive but if you don't carry it around much it don't matter. don't know much about other common store brands maybe Taurus but they never felt good from the bit ive seen them.

Boolit Grand Master

Get a 6.5” Smith 629 classic hunter model and don’t look back. They’re not as fragile as everyone makes them seem. This is coming from a Ruger lover. Second would be an older Redhawk Hunter so you can scope it if desired.

Boolit Master
    Ruger Super Redhawk. It comes with rings, too and shoots quite well.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I have S&W and Ruger .44 Mags. They both are solid shooters. I’d suggest that you shop around and find several of each to see if something “speaks” to you.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Don't think you could go wrong with either. Had a one of five thousand sw's that i ran a heck ofa lot of very hot loads through with out a hitch.unfortunately it was stolen and i have missed it ever since. My ruger super black hawk is built like a tank but just doesn't feel as nice as the smith. Both shoot great or at least the sw used to.

Boolit Master

my first question is, whats your budget?

Boolit Buddy
    I got a 629 Classic 5" that's loads of fun to shoot. But I prefer the 629-6 with 4" tube much better for reasons I cant explain. I prefer the Pachmayr finger grips over factory grips also.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    S&W has the trigger. I like the 6" half lug.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Super redhawks here. They take what you give them.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    As far as budget - I'll probably look for a used gun. I see them online in the $600 range. There's a few shops around that I'll check out. I'm pretty limited to guns that are already in MA, unless I find one that can be shipped that's MA compliant. Friggin' communists.
    I do have a Ruger Old Army that's a great gun, and I think it has a Blackhawk frame.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    This one's been working for me in all venues.

Boolit Master
    Is that the Dirty Harry gun? Nice.

The regular Blackhawk in 4-5/8". Not the Super B for me. A 5" S&W m29 would also serve very nicely. I would shoot .44 Special loads in them mostly.

Boolit Master
    I am pretty happy with my Taurus .44 M44 Mag revolver. it has a 8 and 3/8 inch barrel. it is also factory ported too. I mounted a scope on my example.

Boolit Buddy
    I own a shoot both Ruger and S&W 44 mags. My go to is the 4" 629. One really can't go wrong with either brand.

Boolit Master
    I've a Ruger Redhawk and after the first shooting session replaced the factory grips with Pachmayer De accelerators. The trigger guard would smack the living daylights out my finger. Rugers are heavy which goes a long way towards migitating some of the recoil. I as a rule don't go faster than factory ammo. The newer S&W's have the endurance package which means that they won't shake loose as fast as they used to. Used to watch the steel shooters smacking down the targets at 200 yds with both Rugers and S&W's. From what I remember they were about evenly split between the brands. Frank

Boolit Master
    My 629 handles hot loads just fine (just don't try to turn your 44 mag into a 444 Marlin), and has one of the best triggers of any gun I've ever fired. It's stupidly accurate and is an absolute joy to shoot.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Is that the Dirty Harry gun? Nice.

No, the dirty harry gun did not have the full length lug under barrel, and also came with wood grips. This baby is dead on at one hundred yards.

This model which is the "29 Classic" was I think only made and offered for a very short time back in the early 1990's. The rear sight is removable if a scope is wanted. It is tapped and drilled for a factory scope base.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast