RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grill mat non stick

Boolit Buddy

Grill mat non stick

Picked up a grill mat to use for powder coating, just the thin black ones. Boolits come right off. works great any excess on mat after curing comes off. Best of all they are cheap and no sign of wearing out. Tin foil, even non stick gave hassles. Was going to get a silicone one from dollar store, but they had none.

Boolit Master
    Adam20, Sounds like an option. Where and how much ? Inquiring minds need to know !! haha
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    Most grocery stores, amazon has 15x18 inch 5 pack for $9
    Found mine at dollar general

Boolit Buddy

Been using the same silicone mats since starting to powder coat, they are like the Everyready rabbit they just keep on going and going.

Boolit Master
    The heavy silicon baking mats work the best and last for years. My mats purchased from Costco are now 6 years old and have cooked tens of thousands of bullets since I made my original post here on using silicon mats. If you haven't tried silicon mats you are missing out.

Boolit Buddy

Would like to find silicone mats with small grid marked on them to help in standing boolits up. Hard to get a straight line when standing them up.

Banned
    Just curious why you need a straight line.

Boolit Buddy

More boolits on the pad, nice even rows equally spaced boolits.

Boolit Buddy

You cut the mat and line a tray with it? Like a rubber sheet?
    Thanks, Dan

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by oconeedan View Post
    You cut the mat and line a tray with it? Like a rubber sheet?
    Thanks, Dan
    Yes that is right

Boolit Master
    You might want too tray a baker's cooling rack with a grid just slightly larger than the bullet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	233_1_1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	234982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	232_1_1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	234983

Boolit Buddy

Thank you, I will give it a try!

Boolit Mold
    That just gives my CDO and analism just one big warm fuzzy feeling.
    Muddy Waters61

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters61 View Post
    That just gives my CDO and analism just one big warm fuzzy feeling.
    Muddy Waters61
    Those boolits standing at attention in formation just look right to my old eyes, like they have a purpose in life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Those boolits standing at attention in formation just look right to my old eyes, like they have a purpose in life.
    Actually, they and I do have a purpose. I got to looking at several buckets of stored ingots and blocks of alloy and got to thinking, what I really need to do is just turn these hundreds of pounds of alloy into bullets. I have a lot of molds, but really when it gets down to it, those of us that have been casting for a while, (I cast my first bullet at age 16 and I am now 70) have our pet molds and the rest of the molds get seldom use, if any. So my plan is to make a lot of what I use while I still can. Once PC the bullets may not keep forever, but I guarantee they will last a lot longer than me if any are still in storage. Playing games like seeing how fast I can cast, coat and size; how many I can get on a rack and into the oven gives me an additional amusement. Once I have a lifetime supply, molds that I no longer use would be better sold to the younger generation now than having relatives dumping them in a garage sale saying, "I think this is some kind of guns stuff".

Banned
    Dragonheart got a point about not using most of your molds. I don't shoot BP and have 60 black powder molds.

Boolit Master

I tried the silicone 1mm thick sheet last weekend and really liked it. No sticking at all and no residue left after a quick shake! My daughter loves to do the shake and bake for me, when she has no school work and she thought it was an improvement.

Dragonheart is right, I just turned 71 and I have been casting and shooting for decades. The son that used to shoot a lot lives in Australia and the other is a detective with no interest. I will spend the spring, summer and fall turning my stash of bullet metal into bullets, coat the ones that work best and store the lot ready to lube and load. Sell the molds, lube sizers, gas check makers and casting equipment to new casters. As he said much would go in the trash as just old shooting stuff. Good advise.

Boolit Master
    JMax, it sounds like right or wrong we have a plan, as it would appear we are in the same boat. I too have no one to leave my "treasures" to and the ones that would receive them wouldn't have a clue what it was for, how to use it and certainly no inclination to learn, so just "trash" to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    JMax, it sounds like right or wrong we have a plan, as it would appear we are in the same boat. I too have no one to leave my "treasures" to and the ones that would receive them wouldn't have a clue what it was for, how to use it and certainly no inclination to learn, so just "trash" to them.
    I have the same problem... what happened to all the kids that wanted to be Mountain Men when they go up ? lol. Not many care to learn how to do things except play on the I-phone.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast