WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: scope issues

Boolit Man

scope issues

I have a 1 year old Mueller 4x16x50. im having a couple issues with. The first is blurry targets im shooting at 1 inch orange dots and they blur so much it looks like theres 2. Ive read and tried all the things with parrallax and eye relief nothing seems to help. also ive noticed the longer i look through the scope will get dark. it starts at the top and goes dark im not moving my head.

Use the focus adjustment on the ocular end. Loosen the lock ring if present and turn the eyepiece until your crosshairs are clear and sharp at the distance you set the parallax for.

Boolit Master
    You didn't say anything about your eyes. Mueller isn't the best scope out there, but it's not the worst either. If it were me, I'd get my eyes checked. It sounds like you might be getting a cataract in your eye. I went through something like that a few years ago and I know quite a few others who have also. It's not a big deal if it is, but find out with an eye exam. If your eyes are OK, then you've got a bad scope. Here's a thought....does this happen on other scopes looking at the same targets?

Boolit Master
    I have a Mueller on a very nice CZ rimfire. Its also served valiantly on my M70. It does have a short range of eye relief. It has been nothing but reliable and serviceable. This is, however, based on one scope. If it has been awhile since your last eye exam, it wouldn't hurt to have that done as well as having your scope looked through by a couple other trusted individuals. This covers both and benefits you more. Optometrists can identify a lot of issues before they manifest themselves in more obvious ways and you can get a second/third opinion on your scope.

Boolit Man
    well I never thought of my eyes being the problem. if i close left eye things are blurry out of my right eye and im right eye dominate. I guess i need an eye exam.

Yep,me too.All my scopes were very clear until I developed a cataract which is in it's beginning stages but even my corrective lens in my eye glass don't even work anymore,things are blurry.I have had several Mueller scopes and they served quite well.Cheap? My wallet sure didn't reflect that.

Banned

lens probably came loose inside. I think there still in business. id box it up and send it in. Had a new bushnel 1.5x4.5 that acted just like that. Took it off to send it in and when I went to box it up the objective lens fell right out in my hand.

I suspect it is the scope but probably need to get the eyes checked too. Cataracts will just be dim and slightly blurry. Eyeball pressure is another possible problem. I was having problems with a scope (I thought) target would be fine, then get dimmer. Then I was watching TV and saw a shade effect, like the blinds were pulled down from the top. That is precursor to a stroke. I got my carotid artery cleaned and now everything is good.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Again, look through another scope and see if you're having the problem. Second, have someone else look through your scope. If as you say your right eye is blurry, you need an eye exam. Don't do anything until you see if it's you or the scope. Getting your eyes checked is always a good idea though. FWIW, there are different types of catracts. Some are an overall yellowing of the lens and sometimes you get "spider web" cataracts. When I got mine I thought I had macular degeneration. On a five spot target I couldn't see the middle spot. I only saw four dots. An eye exam discovered I had a cataract and a simple fifteen minute surgery corrected the problem. Back to having 20/15 vision in my right eye.