WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 1909 Bisley

Boolit Buddy

1909 Bisley

I picked this up and going to fix it up a little eventually. Guy who had it at some time did the same thing as the other one he had and sanded parts of it including the lettering of company and caliber off barrel. Plus on this one and extractor housing screw must have came loose so he brazed it in place. Not sure how good of a job he did but not to precise and got a little out of hand. At some point I'm going to remove the brazing overrun and maybe try to do a blue job in that area. Guess since he sanded it it wouldn't hurt to just do the whole barrel but I'll contemplate that at some point. I'll look for a differant right side grip panel or maybe try to fix this one. Watched a midway video on repairing a butt plate with colored epoxy but he's far out of my league in smithing abilities. It's in 32-20 and stuff to load for it and the 92 Winchester will be here Tuesday so next weekend watch out.

Attachment 234730Attachment 234731Attachment 234732Attachment 234733Attachment 234734Attachment 234735
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A good "project" for sure - I hope you took the guy's sandpaper away and superglued his fingers to his head.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shade-tree gunsmiths......it's too early in the day to get worked up over their atrocities. I inherited a 1906-made Colt Bisley x 4-3/4" in 32/20 WCF. I treasure it. I reserve my dwindling stocks of SR-4756 for this revolver, 5.5 grains of same under a 115 grain cast flatnose in 30/1 Pb/Sn shoots close to the sights. I may try 50 rounds of pure-lead castings just for grins later this year.

Starline brass in this caliber is a considerable upgrade from the usual W-W and R-P brass that was de rigeur for this number. I am finding that Alliant Herco is a decent replacement for SR-4756, but not quite grain-for-grain. If you have the late Ken Waters' Pet Loads article from Handloader on the 32/20 WCF for the revolver--or Mr. Waters' compendium volume entitled Pet Loads by Wolfe Publishing, you'll have the most complete recipe book for the 32/20 revolver I have found in 30-odd years of feeding these critters. The above-listed "5.5 grains of SR-4756" is a 10% reduction of Mr. Waters' pet Load for this application--6.0 grains of SR-4756. I use that reduced load in the Colt Police Positive Special and my 113-year-old Bisley; the 6.0 grain charge sees time in the S&W M&P and Colt Army Special.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 01-28-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Considering the age (you didn't mention the price) it appears in fairly good shape. Repairing the grip with black-stained epoxy isn't that difficult, and I'm sure you can do it. I've done several, but the truth is that replica grips are readily available, and some don't look that bad. I once owned a SAA of very early manufacture that had the black powder frame where a screw enters the frame from below the barrel to hold in the cylinder pin. Someone converted it to the newer type of retention system by brazing in the screw hole and drilling a hole for a cross pin. It was a pin, not the spring loaded type of screw later used by the factory. I was always amazed at how whomever did the job managed to get the hole for the cross pin in exactly the right spot, what with the curves and contours of the frame. One had to punch out the pin whenever they wished to remove the cylinder, which in my case wasn't too often! Yours must have quite a history, as it looks to have been reblued and then worked on some more. Nice find.

Virtually a twin to a Bisley in .32-20 that I have. A really pleasant and accurate cartridge to shoot in a SA revolver ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    I looked forever for a Bisley in 32/20 that was affordable and in good enough condition to be a shooter.

I looked at a few but they were pretty ragged out and their caretakers certainly got the good out of over their useful lifetime.

I came across this one a few years ago in 38/40 and although I think I might have paid too much it has scratched that Bisley itch and is a decent shooter with my handloads.

Bisley (circa 1905)chambered in 38 WCF.

I toyed with the idea of having Doug Turnbull “restore” mine till a co worker had them restore his.

They did a beautiful job on my friends Bisley but the near $5000.00 restoration cost (on top of the cost of the gun) put that nonsense right out of my head.

Boolit Master
    Believe it or not, when I was a young man it was difficult to give away a Bisley. I am glad I read this post. I have a Colt SA in 32-20 which I was considering sending to Mr Turnbull. I paid $180 for it and another Colt SA in 45 Colt. That gun was in excellent condition. Forget any talk of restoring anything. Geeez!
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    I seem to recall reading an article in which the late great Skeeter Skelton told of getting a 32-20 when he got home from the military. He was far from home and had a pocket full of mustering out pay, so he went into the nearest pawn shop and bought the only Colt SA they had available. This was long enough ago that when he got off the bus in NM, he quickly got the original parts to convert it to 45 Colt so he'd have an appropriate carrying gun for the day and never looked back! I was surprised when I first read this though, thinking of how much he came to love the old 32-20. I'll have one of each, please!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I am amazed at how people just can't stand for other people to work on guns. I for one have stopped selling any guns purchase only. And i do with them as i please have a swedish mauser friends bout had a fit when i shortened the barrel and ground a taper on it and modified the stock. Until they saw it finished nd the offers started and have never stopped. I have several old 32 revolvers that i plan on stripping the nickel off of just because i prefer blued guns. I make my guns to suit me. By the way i really like the bisley i am a sucker for old guns they just don't make them the way they used to.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I seem to recall reading an article in which the late great Skeeter Skelton told of getting a 32-20 when he got home from the military. He was far from home and had a pocket full of mustering out pay, so he went into the nearest pawn shop and bought the only Colt SA they had available. This was long enough ago that when he got off the bus in NM, he quickly got the original parts to convert it to 45 Colt so he'd have an appropriate carrying gun for the day and never looked back! I was surprised when I first read this though, thinking of how much he came to love the old 32-20. I'll have one of each, please!

Froggie
    Frog, I too remember that article and I think Skeeter was carrying the gun in the open before he got on the bus when someone reported it to a cop. Skeeter hurriedly got on the bus and watched the cop looking for him. Fortunately the bus left before the cop thought of looking into it. The Colt SA that is my avator was the 32-20 and I disliked shooting it because of the vicious bark it made when fired. I converted it to 44 special, mainly because of the articles Skeeter wrote.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    I looked forever for a Bisley in 32/20 that was affordable and in good enough condition to be a shooter.

I looked at a few but they were pretty ragged out and their caretakers certainly got the good out of over their useful lifetime.

I came across this one a few years ago in 38/40 and although I think I might have paid too much it has scratched that Bisley itch and is a decent shooter with my handloads.

Bisley (circa 1905)chambered in 38 WCF.

I toyed with the idea of having Doug Turnbull “restore” mine till a co worker had them restore his.

They did a beautiful job on my friends Bisley but the near $5000.00 restoration cost (on top of the cost of the gun) put that nonsense right out of my head.
    Glad you came to your senses. I have a 38 WCF bisley like yours with little finish remaining but the lettering is pretty sharp and readable. I love it as is. That 5K spent on restoration will buy 3 finished challenged bisleys. Just tested some of my cast heeled bullets for my finished challenged 41 colt bisley and they are 100% consistent for cowboy action next month.