WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman spartan

Boolit Buddy

Lyman spartan

Have a question, green body red turret what she'll holder do I use for this press. Are extra turrets available for it?

I believe you have the Spar-T as the spartan is a c frame single stage. They take regular shell holders held in by a set screw on the ram. Check eBay for extra turrets. They are good solid presses.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master
    The Lyman Spartan and Spar-T rams do take standard shell holders.

Those six hole turret heads were available from Lyman at one time but they have been out of production so long the only strays I've seen in the last thirty years has been on ebay.

I have a Spar-T. I bought new in '65 but quickly found the effort to unscrew the turrets made it just as fast [if not more so] to exchange the dies as needed. There is NO reason to wrench dies into a press, hand tight is plenty tight, so, done right, normal die swapping can be quite fast - I find it takes maybe 45 seconds each.

Hope you also got the original autofeed priming system, for all these years it remains the BEST such device I've ever seen.

Boolit Buddy
    Never got the priming system.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have been real lucking with these press some how I have worked my way up to having 3 of them. I have one set up with nothing my sizing dies and I try to use sets that require few shell holder swaps. Since I deprime and size before I tumble clean that is how I keep it set up. I made a spent primer catchers that deflects the primers over to a chute that they fall in a tin can I have screwed to the side of the bench.
    As far as swapping out the heads I have to agree with 1 hole with the ball spring getting it all back in place with the right spacing would be a pain. I have had to take them apart since one or two of them were frozen or really hard to turn and needed cleaning up which is something I would not want to do for a die swap.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I made a spent primer catchers that deflects the primers over to a chute that they fall in a tin can I have screwed to the side of the bench.
    I'd love to see a picture of that! I have a spartan and I'm looking for ideas on a primer catcher or deflector.

Hey Spartan users
    My Spartan was a birthday present I received at fourteen years old. It has seen continuous duty since 1965. About thirty years ago I was forced to come up with a solution to a broken primer catcher. This is almost too easy!

Attachment 234970 Attachment 234971 Attachment 234972

A Dremel tool makes this an easy job. Screwing it up has very small consequences. Although it is not 100% on catching spent primers, it does a better job than the original designed part. The little piece of shop rag cuts down on bounce and ricochet. The rigid electrical box also holds a weight that peeled the original off from the press. Down side is, no priming on the decapping cycle.

Attachment 234973 Attachment 234974

You still get an occasional rouge primer so a waste can is positioned strategically. Notice also a handle holder for a resting Spartan. Not so impressive is the replacement set screw for shellholder. The bolt at the top of the press holds dies at correct depth for neck size operation. Let me correct an earlier statement, this press has seen continuous "DOOTY" for fifty plus years. I hope this helps some Spartan user.

Roy
    Last edited by gunarea; 01-31-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: correction
    Shoot often, Shoot well.