RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minimum velocity using a 255 grain WFN boolit out of my vaquero for whitetail

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    So a 44 mag and 45 colt are both straight walled pistol rounds with similar lengths. My question is why can't I find any lil gun or h110 loads receipies for the 45 colt? If I have to buy powder so be it but one or both of these powders I would think would work in the 45 colt?
    Check John Linebaugh's website he has plenty of 110 recipes
    however you won't find any weak loads
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It says 5.8/5.9 grains of trail boss has a Muzzel velocity around 855 fps. I loaded mine longer and with 6 grains. I'll have to chrony them to see where I'm at. I would assume 850 fps would work OK out to 75 yards if it patterns? I've seen people deer hunt with air rifles with the same or less velocities on YouTube so I'm sure it would work.

Vendor Sponsor

So a 44 mag and 45 colt are both straight walled pistol rounds with similar lengths. My question is why can't I find any lil gun or h110 loads receipies for the 45 colt? If I have to buy powder so be it but one or both of these powders I would think would work in the 45 colt?
    H110 works very well in 45 Colt, especially with heavy for caliber boolits. It likes a greater than 73% case density, and is for max loads in large frame Ruger revolvers and others of the same high strength. It is NOT recommended to download H110 below published starting weights.

LilGun and 2400 are excellent powders to get into the 75% ~ 90% power band with performance just below those 30kpsi loads listed in the (large framed) Ruger Only loads. I think AA#9 will also work for this purpose.

There IS however, a workaround of sorts for using less H110, and this involves using the 45 Schofield case, and a lighter boolit, case density is very high, and pressures remain within the 23kpsi rating of the medium framed Ruger revolver. You can throttle down H110, but you have to bring everything else in the load down as well, case capacity, boolit weight, to have a safe load.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-04-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    can also use cowboy special cases
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

A lot of good info being hashed out in here. How about we reverse think this for a bit. Since we're working with fixed sights, how about developing a load that hits to point of aim at, say, 50-75 yds. and let the rest fall into place and be as it may. Would that work?

And a quick comment on a side tangent in this thread.....I swear a caggy, neverous old doe who had made me on stand, ducked a shot from my muzzle loader at about 50 yards. It was a good resting shot. When the smoke cleared, she was gone. No blood, no hair. Just a hole in the ground where she was standing. Go figure.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    And a quick comment on a side tangent in this thread.....I swear a caggy, neverous old doe who had made me on stand, ducked a shot from my muzzle loader at about 50 yards. It was a good resting shot. When the smoke cleared, she was gone. No blood, no hair. Just a hole in the ground where she was standing. Go figure.
    When I was younger I hunted a lot of coyotes. I can't remember how many times they bolted just as I was applying pressure to the trigger. That happened from very close to over 400 yards. Had the same happen a couple of times with deer. Unless it was a flintlock with a improper flash hole I have a very hard time accepting that a deer jumped the shot at 50 yards from a muzzle loader.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Unless it was a flintlock with a improper flash hole I have a very hard time accepting that a deer jumped the shot at 50 yards from a muzzle loader.
    Yup, I agree. I had a good steady rest. No 'buck fever' syndrome. I even took the rifle to the range after and checked it out. Spot on at 100 yds. after multiple shots. She was a smart ole gal. Had me locked in, huffin and stompin, and she wasn't letting go. I never moved a muscle. I tried to wait her out hoping she'd get bored or lose interest in me, but nope. The only explanation is that she decided to bolt at the exact time I let it fly.

Boolit Master
    Yep,where I live almost every hunter has a suppressed 22 LR rifle. They have been common for many decades.

It's well known that many birds turn/move/escape the slow subsonic bullet @ 50 yards or longer. Very easy to see with a scope.

Kinda makes us humans feel slow.

Boolit Bub
    Just saw ur thread, so I may be a little late... I carry a Blackhawk, 4 5/8" brl with target/pest loads with me in antlerless season and have popped a doe with it the last 3 years. I use 6.5gr of promo(red dot) and cast a Keith 250gr SWC. I'll only take the shot up to 75 yds, cause the red dot(sight) is pretty big out that far, but they only ever go about 50 yards, or up to 15 seconds - whichever occurs first. 2 where lower lung shots and ran leaving a big blood trail, 1 was in the brachial plexus and DRT. Load the same boolit for a friends daughter in early season ML, in a sabot and push it with 60gr of BP and she has the same results - 50yds and blow throughs. You'll get good results with good shot placement from 900 - 1000fps if you do your part. It's a confidence inspiring combination! Good luck.

It says 5.8/5.9 grains of trail boss has a Muzzel velocity around 855 fps. I loaded mine longer and with 6 grains. I'll have to chrony them to see where I'm at. I would assume 850 fps would work OK out to 75 yards if it patterns? I've seen people deer hunt with air rifles with the same or less velocities on YouTube so I'm sure it would work.

I ran 6 rounds of 45 colt 260gr cast bullet over 6gr. Trail Boss powder over my chrony a few years back. Avg was 766fps but I don't recall if that was a Vaquero 4 5/8inch barrel or my 4.2inch Redhawk. I figured 6.5gr would get me right at 800fps about the same as 8gr. Unique load. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer out to 50ys with either load. Soft shooting and pretty darn accurate.

Had a pig duck a 150 gr @ 1900, maybe a 50 yd shot.
    Whatever!

Trying to picture a pig duck ? Must be one of those animals that a tablet come up with. �� +��

Jedman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123