Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum velocity using a 255 grain WFN boolit out of my vaquero for whitetail

Boolit Master
    GOOGLE OR Bing +P loads for the COWBOY.. the Vaquero

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I would assume that's for the OLD vaquero

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The fastest recorded reaction time by a human is 0.101 seconds, and they didn't even start moving until that point. Look at bow hunters. With a measly 250 fps arrow, the best a deer can do is duck a few inches.
    Deer have a much faster reaction time than humans. If you have ever deer hunt with a bow, then you know at 30 yards, the deer can drop completely and jump up, causing the arrow to completely miss the them. They react that fast to just the sound of the string. They duck way more than a few inches. Watch some of the videos of deer "jumping the string" and you will see what I am talking about.

Boolit Grand Master

The time between the sound getting there and the bullet .05 seconds. That deer isn't ducking a bullet, end of story.

Boolit Master

45 Colt, 8.5-9 gr of Unique under a 250-270 gr SWC from a New Model Vaquero will shoot through a deer's shoulder as far away as you can hit them. I have done it with my NM Vaquero.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Here's the Brian Pearce article that has the various levels of 45 Colt, using the RCBS 270...should be a good start.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...246partial.pdf
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Not sure about you old timers but I can cut the front porch light and be in bed before it gets dark. I have also ran to the target to see where the bullet hit and have to wait on it to get there.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

I have shot end to end on two 120-130# deer with a 300G Speer FPJ bullet. This bullet is soft with a plated "jacket" Both times the bullet entered chest facing and exited hind quarters. Impact velocity was 1000-1100fps.

I don't remember shooting any with a 255G, but I have shot probably 4-5 with a 310 WFN cast at 1100-1150 Muzzle vel in a 7.5" Bisley and not one of them complained. At least a dozen more from my Marlin 20" with same load. That load was almost 1300 from a 10" Contender. That's only one I remember for sure chrono testing and don't remember shooting any deer with the 45C Contender.

IMHO, shoot for 1200< you do NOT need big velocity, the 45cal bullet esp a WFN is a very efficient killer. Interesting theology with deer dodging the bullet... I hadn't given it much thought. I tend not to shoot many nervous deer... Generally they are dead (if I'm gonna shoot them) seconds after I see them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

13gr HS-6 is an excellent load if you have it. It'll run about 1050fps in a 5 1/2" barrel at about 18,000 pressure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    You will be better off with the 255WFN.
    This is the best advice you can get. Meplat as wide as you can get. A cast them #2 Lyman alloy and you will have great pass through and very good disruption of the soft tissue.

LBT WFN

So a 44 mag and 45 colt are both straight walled pistol rounds with similar lengths. My question is why can't I find any lil gun or h110 loads receipies for the 45 colt? If I have to buy powder so be it but one or both of these powders I would think would work in the 45 colt?

Boolit Master

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

The only powder I have that I can find loads for,which is trail boss, loaded to the max recommendation of 6 grains loaded long obviously won't give me enough velocity to get the job done.

Boolit Master
    The elk must have been an accomplished high jumper as the bullet could not have lifted it off the ground.

Boolit Master

Check the first two posts of this thread from my .45 ACP adventures from four years back, specifically the second post where it gets into penetration testing: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ed-The-LBT-LFN

Deer aren't Tiger tanks, and your bullet mass at about 1000 fps was considered sufficient to chill out a horse back in the day. Since you've got a fixed sight gun, how fast do you need to push it to hit to the sights and about 50 yards?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Only shot two deer with that type of load. Both were medium size whitetail bucks. Load was 8 grains of Unique with a 250 grain Lyman 454190 soft cast out of Cattleman 1873 Colt copy. Both broadside shoulder shots. They got the job done. Range was about 30 yards and 50 yards. Had some issues with the Cattleman and it was traded for a Ruger Blackhawk. After that I used top end Ruger only loads. Only shot a little 3 x 3 buck and a full size doe with them but I could not tell the difference.

With archery I haven't had any deer jump the string since I got above 240 FPS. My current bow is about 340 and I have shot a couple of bucks at around 35 yards that were looking directly at me. No string jump.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-03-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    So a 44 mag and 45 colt are both straight walled pistol rounds with similar lengths. My question is why can't I find any lil gun or h110 loads receipies for the 45 colt? If I have to buy powder so be it but one or both of these powders I would think would work in the 45 colt?
    They are only used for high pressure recipes.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    The elk must have been an accomplished high jumper as the bullet could not have lifted it off the ground.
    Very true. Disruption to the nervous system is what most people are seeing. Energy is energy. Recoil is generated by the bullet and mass for the powder accelerating. The reverse is also. If a bullet enters the barrel from the muzzle and it decelerates at the same rate it accelerated you would be unable to tell the recoil from the impact. Small targets like prairie dogs do get "thrown" but that is from hydrostatic expansion.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    These are above the new model Vaquero pressure limits. The original Vaquero are Blackhawk frames. The new Vaquero's are smaller frames and cylinders.

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

Hodgdon list both powder but they are above new model Vaquero pressure limits.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-03-2019 at 02:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    IMR has data on their site for H110 in 45lc but it's high pressure/strong action loads
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast