Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shooting .308 copper plated in my mosin.

Boolit Master

Shooting .308 copper plated in my mosin.

My bore slugs at .301-.311. Ok i tried .312 cast Hi-tek coated boolits all kinds of recipes. The gun just does not like cast. So i ordered some Berry's .311 123 grain spire tip. It does well with those. I also have Berry's .308 150 grain for my 30.06. I loaded 5 of those for the mosin. And hit my steel plate at 100 yards with those 3 out of 5 rounds open sights. My question is will the .308 harm the bore? I cleaned it after my outing no signs of copper fouling.

Boolit Master

Five rounds may not tell the story. I think you'll be much happier with a bullet that fits. Plated bullets need a little care in the fitment and speed dept.

Boolit Master

Yeah im keeping them under 1900 FPS. According to my data im at about 1600 FPS. Im getting a chrono soon. To see what im running at. Cleaned the gun. No signs of copper fouling. Im going to run some into cardboard and see if they keyhole or not. And shoot at a bullseye at 50 yards and see how they group.

Banned
    you wont hurt that rifle at all.

I believe every AMERICAN made round of ammunition marked uses a .308 diameter bullet. EUROPEAN uses a standard diameter bullet.

Ive seen old destruction tests from the 1990s where they fired milsurp ammo in a mosin that had two or even 3 .308 bullets jammed in the bore. barrel killed, receivers seemed to survive FINE.

Boolit Master
    You should check out some of the Finnish target rifles that have been built on mosin actions. One that I saw as an example in an article was chambered in 300 Winchester, if I recall correctly. Kind of opened my eyes to the strength off these actions!