RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms 44 special Bulldog a waste of money?

Boolit Master
    Mt. Gianni,

Your pressure experience, with the Charter Arms Bulldog, coincides with mine. My Charter Arms Bulldog is kind of like the Energizer Bunney. It just keeps going on & on. Occasionally, I'll shoot my 2.5" Bulldog at 100 yds just to see how my handloads are performing. With a Lyman 429421 Keith 250 gr. CB with 7.5 gr Unique (Skeeter Skeleton load) and the proper front sight elevation it hits where it's supposed to hit on a man-sized target. Life is good? The 44 Special is a superb accurate cartridge that gets the job done.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Was his a .38 or .44? My 1970's Undercover is deadly accurate with 3.1 grains Bullseye and a Lyman or Lee wadcutter. Short barrels tend to be picky about ammo, but when you find something that works they can shoot very well indeed!
    It was a 44 and only shooting factory ammo.

Boolit Master
    One of the problems with making any sort of informed decision is that nobody has any of the three guns I’m thinking about (Charter Bulldog, Ruger GP-100 or S&W 69) in stock. I know what a Ruger GP and a Smith L-frame feel like in 357, but I’ve never actually seen a Bulldog IRL. I would have to order it.

CDNN has the 3” stainless Ruger on sale for $579, so adding $30 for shipping and transfer fee probably gets me the Ruger for $100 less than the Smith once taxes are factored in. But subtract a few dollars because I would have to buy Special brass because all I have now is magnum. The Charter would be just short of $400 out the door if I bought it from Buds.

Decisions, decisions...
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    One of the problems with making any sort of informed decision is that nobody has any of the three guns I’m thinking about (Charter Bulldog, Ruger GP-100 or S&W 69) in stock. I know what a Ruger GP and a Smith L-frame feel like in 357, but I’ve never actually seen a Bulldog IRL. I would have to order it.

CDNN has the 3” stainless Ruger on sale for $579, so adding $30 for shipping and transfer fee probably gets me the Ruger for $100 less than the Smith once taxes are factored in. But subtract a few dollars because I would have to buy Special brass because all I have now is magnum. The Charter would be just short of $400 out the door if I bought it from Buds.

Decisions, decisions...
    You could always buy one of each, then make a decision on which to keep and which to send down the road, but that would be the most expensive way. We would be interested in how it turns out. I am sure some would like to purchase those you let go....at a steep discount.

Vendor Sponsor

One of the problems with making any sort of informed decision is that nobody has any of the three guns I’m thinking about (Charter Bulldog, Ruger GP-100 or S&W 69) in stock.
    Decisions, decisions...
    Sounds like somebody needs to go to a gun show and check out all the various offerings before plunking down several hundred bucks on a guess..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    You should definitely try to at least put hands on the bulldog. They are a totally different animal to the other 2 you are considering! I have a 696 and the 5 inch gp100 in 44special. I have shot the bulldog and almost bought one several times, but the 696 kinda scratches that itch. The weight difference between the GP and Charter will be noticeable, as well as the fit to your hand. As stated above, order a bulldog and see how you like it, suspect I'm not the only one willing to take it off your hands if you 2 don't get along
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Sounds like somebody needs to go to a gun show and check out all the various offerings before plunking down several hundred bucks on a guess..
    I’ve not seen a great variety of revolvers at gun shows in the last few years except for collectors who bring Colts or pre-lock Smiths. Even the big National Gun Day show has shifted over to tons of polymer guns and AR build vendors. I will definitely be on the lookout at the February show, but I would almost be willing to wager there won’t be a single Bulldog in the entire arena.
    NRA Endowment Member

Banned
    Im just curious here everyone. The gun in question is a .44 special built from a 6 shot snub nose 38 special that the maker doesn't recommend to be used with 38 special +p ammunition.
    Thus how does it manage to survive tossing 30-50% larger bullets at the same velocity at 38+p chamber pressure so well?

Boolit Master
    I still have the Charter Arms Bulldog the SWMBO bought me as a Christmas surprise back in 1973. Over the years I have found it groups tighter with the lighter boolits than heavier. My aged hands also appreciate the reduced recoil. I tried and tried to find decent group sizes with lighter boolits at reduced speeds. Didn't happen. Then I read the load range charges for light boolits with Unique powder in the Lyman #45 manual. Loaded a few test samples with the maximum allowed charge over my lighter boolits and WOW - hit exactly at the point of aim and grouped the tightest of any load tested so far. I reserve these loads for carry and very occasional testing. Both SWMBO and the Bulldog are keepers.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Decisions, decisions...
    Don't assume that Bud's always has the lowest price. My local guy's sticker prices are usually lower, heck for that matter everything he sells is cheaper than Cabela's! He is in Frankfort, I can PM you his info if you like.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I purchased my Bulldog "Fit for Duty" off GB. None of the dealers in my area stock CA. The LGS, I deal with, couldn't order one from his suppliers. I bought it sight unseen. I was set on a light weight, pocketable (non exposed hammer), 44 Special. The Bulldog is the only option out there. Works for me............

Winelover

Groo here
    Depends what you want to do with it.
    The CA 44's problem is what many want it for,,, It's Light and Compact !!!.
    Not many will shoot heaver loads [though it will take them] , many like WC reloads.
    I am getting to the point where kick gets to me.[like 240gr 44 mag factory from a 2 3/4 m-69 smith]
    But want more than a 38 spec and a bigger bullet.
    A 45 colt or 45acp in a charter arms might be a better choice as the factory level loads are what many load the 44 spec to.[more than spec but less than the "Skeeter load"]
    I have selected the GP100 10mm for my new ".40+" bore gun,but, for a big bore -a 45acp compact auto[like a shield ] looks like a winner.
    Just depends..........

Banned

I've had an early Bulldog, probably '70s or '80s, I've had almost 30 years. I shoot 50 rounds through it a few times a year, it stays loaded close by in the house. I like it and it isn't going anywhere soon. Nice little guns, though I have heard that iterations of company management since this one was made have had quality control problems.

Boolit Master
    I ended up winning a 4” Smith Model 69 on GunBroker, so the Charter is on the back burner for now. Got it for $630 which is $100 less than I’ve seen it anywhere in person. That was hard to pass up.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Hickock45 has an about 20 min session with the Charter .44 on youtube and he does some pretty amazing shooting with it. GF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I owned a 3" and liked it. I would pass if you are looking for target accuracy @ 25 yards. Mine might have been over torqued and put everything 2" left. It shot Skeeters load very well but your palms paid the price.
    If you are looking for a close encounters gun for a carry often, plink occasionally and have it with you when you need it gun it fills the bill.

If it puts everything 2 inches left you need to adjust the sights to point 2 inches right or change your gripping technique.
    [/B]

Boolit Buddy

I saved for a Model 21 and Model 24 Smith & Wesson’s. No regrets.

I ended up winning a 4” Smith Model 69 on GunBroker, so the Charter is on the back burner for now. Got it for $630 which is $100 less than I’ve seen it anywhere in person. That was hard to pass up.
    Glad you got the m69, excellent revolvers that will give you years of quality service. Already having 44mag brass made your choice a lot easier along with a super price. Looking forward to some range reports/test results from your new m69.

The ca bulldogs along with the 44spl are not for everyone. As you found out you just don't see a lot of them at gunshows new or used. I've never been a fan of the snubnosed 38spl's, owned bulldogs since the 80's. The bulldogs are not designed to see tons of range use, the fit & finish is rather poor. The word rural has been used to describe a lot of Russian made firearms, the same could easily be said for the bulldogs. Never felt outgunned with the snubnosed 44spl but I did find that the bulldogs shot more to the poa with the lighter/faster bullets.

Glad to see you still have a bulldog on "the back burner". I still carry a bulldog after 30+ years. Hard to beat the lite weight compact size along with the bite. Every couple of years I do testing with new/different bullets and actually have a new bullet cast up and waiting to try. I've showed this picture before, it's from my last testing with a ca bulldog. The loads are hot but no were near max level 2 loads. They are also lite 44cal bullets & I always like to use the h&g 142 (lyman 429215 clone/358156's big brother) as a control. Been carry/using that combo a long time in the bulldogs (bottom left).
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've been looking at the m69's for awhile now, just haven't bought 1 simply because I have a 4" bbl.'s m29. It will be interesting to see what you come up with for loads. Anymore I'm in the +/- 1000fps range in the 2 1/2" bbl'd bulldog with 200gr/220gr bullets, +/-1200fps in the 4" bbl'd m29 with 240gr/250gr bullets & +/-1300fps in the 6 1/2" bbl'd 629 with +/- 260gr bullets.

Boolit Master

Congrats on the 69. I paid a little more for mine! The Lee 200 RNFP powder coated is shooting well for me. I'm loading it over Promo in a 44 Russian case. Offhand, 3 inch groups at 25 are repeatable. I haven't benched it yet. I was also shooting this load one handed and getting 2-3 hits per cylinder on an 8 inch plate at 50 yards. Surprisingly, I did better with one hand at that range than two, because I can see the sights better with the revolver a little further from my eye.

Banned
    Congrats on the S&W model 69. I think you ended up in a better place.

That gun can easily take a 44 Special "Skeeter Load" and still have a huge margin of strength in reserve.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast