Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms 44 special Bulldog a waste of money?

Boolit Master

Charter Arms 44 special Bulldog a waste of money?

My only experience with Charter was with a 38 snub in the early 90's and it was less than spectacular. Buds has the stainless Bulldog (5 shot 44 special) for under $400 and I'm considering buying one for a woods toy. I'm also considering a Ruger GP100 or a Smith 69, but those two are literally twice the price for what would be a gun that is carried and shot only occasionally.

Any experience with them?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    It depends on what your standards are. I had one (a 4" target Bulldog) a few years back and it was fine for general woods loafing snake shot, etc. Not super accurate, but adequate for most uses. Recoil is an issue, I used lighter bullets to help. A much better Gun is the Ruger sp101 357 IMHO. Handles any reasonable 38spl or 357 load accurately, and is light and small enough to be easy to carry.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have had a couple of late model CA revolvers and they were great. None were .44's however.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Vendor Sponsor

Couple of cylinders I have honed, they are relatively thin, not sure I would use any +P loads with them, they are also fairly egged in the throats. You gets what you pays for.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I bought a new on for my wife and am very satisfied with what I got for the money I spent.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    My only experience with Charter was with a 38 snub in the early 90's and it was less than spectacular. Buds has the stainless Bulldog (5 shot 44 special) for under $400 and I'm considering buying one for a woods toy. I'm also considering a Ruger GP100 or a Smith 69, but those two are literally twice the price for what would be a gun that is carried and shot only occasionally.

Any experience with them?
    I bought one 5 years ago and it has performed beautifully ever since. It has the smoothest D/A pull of any revolver that I own. It's very accurate with the Hornady 200 gn XTP as well as with Federal's 200 gn lead semiwadcutter hollow point.
    I carry mine everyday and a couple of things that you'll need to do:
    De-horn the cylinder release...it's sharp
    Dump the factory grips...install a set of these Pachmayrs:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...s-rubber-black

I'm currently carrying mine with the Charter Arms double action only hammer and it works great!

P.S. The felt recoil seems less than my Colt Combat Commander 45
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I like my Bulldog. Fit and function are better than OK. Accuracy is good for a 3" gun. Now I'll say if you want S&W quality buy an older Smith.

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the original 3" blue and a 2.5" stainless as well as a 3" S&W 696.
    Guess which is easier to tote all day, even with a very good PWL holster on latter? The accuracy is about the same. GF.

Once upon a time, I bought/shot a .44 BD, and quickly decided I didn't like it (I was YOUNG), and sold it.

Then, 20 years later (2001), I bought a stainless .44BD that was issued with rubber bumpers, and with a slightly heavier barrel (due to the addition of a shrouded EJ rod).

I shoot it bi-weekly for practice (it's my winter CCW, when heavier clothing is usually worn by potential targets), and can say that it's never given me any issues since I bought it - aka: well worth the money.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Got my Bulldog a few years ago. Put many rounds through it. Love it and carry it more than anything else. Not as refined as my S&W or Rugers, but just as reliable and it's as accurate as I am.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 44sp. Bulldog, and am carrying it, this winter. Fits ok, with an inside the belt holster. Last year i carried a Ruger LC9, but the crime rate around here, has gotten worse, so wanted alittle more with me. Had a Ruger SP101 357, but just didn't like the gun. Even put a night site on the front. Nothing wrong with my Bulldog.

Boolit Master
    I bought the blued Charter Arms .44 Bulldog and carried it as a back up weapon for years when I was a peace officer. Not a pleasant gun to shoot much, I’d get something stronger if you want a shooter. It’s called the Bulldog because it’s recoil has a bite to it but for an occasional 5 rounds it’s fine, and it’s very light to carry.

Boolit Master

Looked at one a few months back for the same purpose, I'll try to find the link. It was a sad piece of work, probably the worst looking new revolver I've ever seen. (The trigger felt fine, though!) I passed on the purchase and called Charter about it. Ended up talking with the owner and plant manager. They were concerned about the quality issue, but not interested in putting a good specimen in my hands. I think they would have done their best to fix anything sent back, but not sure how long the company can hold up putting out revolvers that look worse than Rossi/Taurus/EAA. I still love the concept but I wouldn't buy one without looking it over first. Ended up buying a Smith 69. Completely different revolver, though. Still a bit disappointed with the attempt at the Charter. I had already bought 44 Russian brass for plinking loads that would eject easily. Oh well, they are fun in the Smith.

Boolit Master

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a Charter Arms Bulldog a few years back. My impression is that it surely could have been finished more than a tad better -- e.g. polishing. Mine is the stainless steel version, and it surely is neither a Smith, nor, say, a Python in smoothness. However, I settled upon a loading -- 200 grain .44 SWC cast bullets sized to .430 in front of 4.8 grains of Bullseye ignited with CCI large pistol primers -- which is quite repeatably accurate; has recoil I can readily handle in the light, 5-shot revolver; and, has speed-loaders readily available to have an extra 5- or 10- (two loaders) shots on hand. NOT a target revolver, but readily an EDC firearm in the woods.
    I'd buy another.... Interestingly, "Hickcok45" has a pretty nice (imho) YouTube on a Bulldog, his being of the exact same vintage as mine. You may wish to view it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Liq00CYmw
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 01-27-2019 at 08:42 AM.

As long as the topic is Charter Bulldogs, here's one for you:

6" 44 Bulldog. I emailed the lady at customer service and she said " yes, it's a catalog item ".
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I have had one of the stainless 44 specials since they first came out with them and have never had an issue with it. Mine loves cast bullets.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have bought two charter arms pistols in past 6 months. Loved both at first but quickly lost there appeal. One in 32 hr mag i purchased for wife's carry gun had to send it back twice already for light primer strikes and bad barrel ( chatter in rifleing). Second time transfer bar broke in half. The other was a 41 mag pug light easy to carry and fairly accurate but had to send it back for wait for it light primer strikes. Wife will only carry a revolver because she wants to know it will work so it was more than a little upsetting when you pull the trigger and nothing happened. Just gave up on the 32 mag and bought her a sw 644 38 spec that workes every time. The kicker the sw was cheaper than the charter arms 32hr. Still waiting on the 41 mag to get back and i will give it another try but the first time it doesn't go off i will start carrying something else. I really liked the guns when they first got here but a couple trips to the range and the thrill was definitely gone.

Boolit Master
    Was a nice day,yesterday, so took my CA Bulldog, out to the backyard range. Cut the 2" bullseye out of the target with 50 rounds of 240 RNFP over 4.5 grains of Bullseye at 10 yards.

I have the shrouded hammer carry version.............so it was fired DAO. Very satisfied with the out of the box trigger. Much better than any of the three S&W J-frames, I own. The non adjustable rear sights are difficult to see, however, I use the shroud channel as the rear sight.

Exterior finish is not on par with S&W, nor is the price. Throats are uniform slip fit for my .432 diameter cast bullets.

I bought mine as a woods walking/bow hunting carry piece. I wasn't interested in a heavier or pricier one, made of Scandium/Titanium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060775.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	234727

Winelover

Boolit Master

My thought.

Charter Arms 44.
    Good knock about handgun suitable for car, truck camping, fishing, woods walking and nightstand.

Ruger GP100 44.
    All of the above. Very heavy-duty firearm will last almost forever with minimal care. Accurate & powerful enough for personal defence and survival situations.

S&W 69, 44
    A classical revolver that can be used in all situations as the above and will be treasured by your children and their children's children.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast