RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware - more scams

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Beware - more scams

The last two weeks, I've had three scam calls here in southern AZ. All are very similar . . . pleading for a "cause" and if we send you an envelope, can we count on a cash donation?

The first was supposedly for providing funds for politicians who support law enforcement legislation. (I immediately came back and asked if they were an agency hired to raise funds . . . . ahhhhhhhh . . . . and what percentage of the funds raised do they actually get and what percentage does the agency get. CLICK! I was hung up on.

The second one was the same premise - only they were rating funds to help replace police dogs that were lost "in the line of duty" . . . . really? So tell me more . . . answer my questions . . . . CLICK! I got hung up on . . . amazing.

Both of the above were men callers - from the sounds of them . . .not real bright.

Yesterday . . . I got a call from a women . . . . raising funds for politicians who support breast cancer research. Ask the same questions . . . what percentage does the recipient actually get of every dollar donate? Relineded her that by law, she has to disclose that. Again . . . can we count on a "cash" donation if we send you and envelope to mail it back? I acted very pleasant on the phone and was polite in my request for the percentage the recipient actually gets. She hung p on me.

Legit? Maybe yes but probably not. Anyone can print up envelopes, letters, etc. and ask for a "cash" donation to be sent back . . . as far as I'm concerned . . . they were all scam calls but based on things that many people would want to maybe support. All I can imagine is them sending out envelopes for "cash donations" . . . laughing when some unsuspecting person mails them cash back and they opening the envelope and piling the "cash donation" up on their table . . . before they go make their next crack buy.

Boolit Master

I tell these crackpots, "I do not do money transactions over the phone unless I initiate it." then I hang up.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Once in a while I'll get a call that goes something like this:

"Hello?"

"Hello, is Megan there?"

"Nobody by that name here."

"Well, sir, maybe you can help me. I'm calling on behalf of the <insert organization name here> fund raising project...."

"Hold on a second. You were never calling for Megan, were you?"

<click>

It's usually a competition as to who hangs up first if they try to justify or explain away the original lie. Especially since I've had this number for about 12 years and even more especially since I get these exact same calls from the exact same "agency" all the time.

For all I know, it's a legit agency but to lie to gain access guarantees I won't be donating.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Go ahead and get the envelope. If it's post-paid, tape it to a brick and let them pay the postage on it.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Go ahead and get the envelope. If it's post-paid, tape it to a brick and let them pay the postage on it.
    Hahaha!

I used to stuff every AARP postage paid envelope with as much trash as possible and send back. I must not have been alone because about two years ago they switched to regular envelopes where I pay the postage.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    I'd bet it comes with a single stamp on it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    PETA once called for donations and before she could finish her speech, I interrupted her and asked if this solicitation was for another wild animal cookbook, that I had enough already and didn't need any more. --- Silence -- click.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    asked if this solicitation was for another wild animal cookbook,
    That's funny. I wish I'd thought of it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't agree to accept the return envelope. They also mine and sell your address for a sucker list.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I am on the federal "No call list". They has come into my house without an invitation so I curse at them and let them know that I am on the no call list. Most just hang up but some genius try to tell me that there is no such list or they are not subject to It . Then I get very nasty. These scum bags are invading my home with out my permission.

Boolit Buddy
    When ever I get prepaid envelopes for anything, I send them back empty.

Moderator Emeritus

The new scammers get their phone numbers from a list and could be from your local area. You can no longer trust that the number on caller ID is who they say they are. The ones that burn me up are the friends and family that refuse to leave messages thinking I will call them back at an unknown to me friends phone.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

The exceptions in the do not call list include for political activities. Note the original requests were for "politicians that support". In short an end run around the do not call list.

There is also an exception for companies or businesses you have done business with for a certain period. AND there affiliates. So your bank can have an affiliation with a credit card promotion (affiliate is French for cut of the action) and that also goes around the do not call list. As does dropping your name in the fish bowl for a prize from a vendor at the local fair or trade show.

The caller ID lookup pays the caller for using their service, tiny fraction of a cent but call 50,000 phones and scammers are starting to make a few bucks just from your phone displaying the faked local number.

I routinely get robo calls asking me if I want to refinance my student loans. Considering it has been decades since I was in school, paid cash at the time and by now have grandkid about to graduate college it is pretty clear this call is either fishing for stupid people that will refinance over the phone with an unknown party or just doing it for the caller id money. I also get identical robo calls to buy a warranty for my used car and same exact new credit card offer at least once a week if not more. Always with a different local number displaying.

For awhile the do not call list was working but eventually the robo call and boiler room operations figured out how to go around it.

There are in Michigan law three questions they have to answer or the statutory fines for not answering are a tidy sum.
    1. Does your organization sell a product or service? Lying here is a fine
    2. Does your organization have a do not call list? Darn well better!
    3. Will you put this number on it? Yes is the only acceptable answer.

Only downside is you have to waste the time to get through the robo portion of the call to speak to a person before you can use your script on them.

I can't think of a time the caller didn't answer yes they have a list and yes they would put this number on it. Not sure how effective it was at cutting down the calls. Haven't done it since I got rid of the land line.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

My cell phone gets at least half a dozen calls a day from unknown numbers and no voicemail left. My house phone I might get one a week. I just don't answer a number I don't recognize.

Boolit Master

Keep hanging up and get a call blocking app for your phone. I used to get 10-20 calls a day from the morons. I downloaded an app simply called "call blocker" and it weeded out ALL potential fraud/scam calls. Of course now I have a new number (after 15 years) so it's like real peaceful the time being.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I get these calls every single day. I have started telling them i am not the one they need to talk to but i will get them hold on. Then just set the phone down and waste there time for a change. Actually did have one call back and tell me he didn't appreciate that. My reply was i didn't appreciate it ether i had to go all the way to the back of property and he just hung up if he was really going to hold on i would get him again he stayed on line better part of 15 minutes.

I hate to answer some calls because I believe it just confirms an active line and results in even more calls. I figure if it's important they will leave a voicemail.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It would seem you guys in the USA get your share of vermin calls as well. It its a woman that calls I always ask how her mother feels about her being a prostitute, of cause they deny and ask why I would think that of them and I answer, well your trying to screw everyone you call. If male I just tell them they must be homosexual because they do nothing up front. I trust I don't offend any one here but these vermin are calling almost every day and I am ready to cancel my land line. Being on the do not call register does nothing to stop these parasites. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Sometimes I tell them to hold on a second and yell out “Honey, what do you mean you can find the lubricant, we decided to keep it in your nightstand!”.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

It's getting tricky to block numbers because so many that come up on your caller ID are spoofed. Especially when they have a variant of your own number starting with the same area code and same three digit prefix. Those are not the number that is actually calling, just a spoofed number. The bad thing is, you could eventually get a legit call from such a number without ever knowing it. So I don't block those.

The newer Android apps allow you to screen calls and that seems to help.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast