WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ever Have A Giant Splinter Through Your Hand?

And the list goes on! 1.Had a chicken stuck under the fence. As I was getting her loose she squawked and the big white rooster ran in and spurred me through the back of my hand. Could feel the nerves under the palm hurting. Major pain. Healed ok. 2. Dad slid along the top board of the chute trying to put a saddle on the horse, got a splinter in the belly. A year later he asked my uncle to look at it. There was a soft bump that he scraped with a sharp knife. Week later he looked again and put some pressure on it and a long splinter squirted out. 3.
    My oldest son was 3 to 4 years old and got in my lap and touched his leg mid quad and told me hoit (hurt) . Under pressure it would peak, scraped it as I had seen my uncle do and later a cactus thorn came out smashed on both ends looking like a wood stake beaten on.
    4. Had the boys at the Boys Ranch washing and polishing the J.D. haybailer. I looked back and saw the boy dancing on the top of it. Started over to get him down from it just as he slipped, one foot landed on the six inch x 5/16 hay pick up rod. Went through the heel and past the ankle bone and pushing the skin out. He tried to pull his foot off it. I got my hand between the steel and his foot and pulled it off. Then we dealt with shock and took him to the Dr. Some antibiotics and he was OK.
    5. Worked in Mobile on the F105. Had a substitute new nurse. We were all ragged out from working overtime. Lots of stress. Got my thumb caught behind a spot face where you place the cutter on the stem protruding from the hole with your fingers and your partner spins the cutter with the airdrill motor. Mixed signal thumb nail cut three time 1/16th apart. Go to infirmery. I am sitting on a chair. Guy # two passed out on the floor , nurse nervously reviving him when guy # three comes in that had drilled a 3/32 hole in his finger with blue looking twisted ligaments hanging out slowly unwinding and going back in the hole, the blue coming from the aluminum on the drill.. She got up quickly and pulled a drinking cup from the stack, filled it with Hydragen Peroxide , handed it to him, came to me with a small scissor and attempted to cut the flaps of nail off with shaking hands and after a few attempts shoved the scissor under the nail. I went limp and slid off the chair. The nurse looked at #3 in time to see him finish drinking the last of the HP and headed toward the poision chart then hurried out the door carrying her purse. Wasn't long and she was back with a pint of milk and told #3 to drink it. #1 was in a sitting position as well as I and the poor girl was about ready to cry.. ..Could go on through number 15 but I will sign off and give someone else a chance.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    you really don't want to see mine...besides....i'd get banned for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    ....what don't kill ya....makes for good scars & stories.
    Yes, mozeppa, you're excused from show & tell!....LOL
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    A neighbor of mine was a carpenter and slid off a roof, fell onto his scaffold and ran a 1/4 inch bolt through the center of his hand. He hung there till his helper could climb the scaffold and lift him off the bolt. He was an alcoholic and probably only weighed 110 pounds, so it didn't tear through between his fingers. No permanent damage and he healed up fast, tough SOB !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Just like in the movie "The Girl That Played With Fire"...
    gotta love a movie about a girl with spunk..

At least they solved the splinter problem in toilet paper. Read an article on when they finally got the splinters solved.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine was like bob208, but the splinter was in my foot. Had to get a local and cut open my foot to get the splinter out.

Boolit Master

I had been splitting 18" lengths of 20" logs to feed my woodburning stoves @ my Vermont home in Jeffersonville when I stopped the splitting to move some logs around. I used to cast iron hooks with sharp points and a D ring wooden handle with two pieces of sheet steel from the ends of the handle down about 4 inches and then folding into the shaft of the iron hook. I was using two of them when I apparently hit a frozen limb inside the log and the hook bounced wildly. Shure enuf one point from the left hand hook went through the open D handle on the right hook and then buried itself in the 3rd (biggest) bone of my right pinky finger. I let out a few howls and my wife trotted out to find me kneeling on the ground with the obscene hook stuck in my pinky. She gave me Lortab for the pain and she drove me 18 miles of iced and snowy Vermont back roads to Morrisville and it's hospital. After some effort the folks there removed the hook and sent me home with not even an Asprin for the pain. A few months later during the services at a local church an elderly lady shook my hand and broke a bone in my right hand. I knew it was broken because I heard it snap and now I had a new and large protruding lump in it. It is insane that all this was to my right side. I am a lefty so I was able to get by with a dinged up finger or hand.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Through and through damage really stinks. I have run a splinter thru a hand while cutting a tree down, have run a large nail thru my boots and foot and a decapping pin thru my thumb. The worst was having to pull my foot and boot off the nail while dad held the board down. The nail was sticking out of the top of my boot a good 2 inches. That got me a trip to the hospital, the nail was somewhere near 75 years old and very rusty.

Boolit Grand Master

In high school, while hurrying across wet wooden bleachers, I lost my footing. The results was a long fir splinter went through jean pocket, cheek, and cntr seam of jeans. Had to find a sharp knife to get loose from the seat for the Hospital trip on my stomach. Talk about a PIA!!!!!!
    Information not shared. is wasted.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Had a drunk guy come in the ER about a decade ago that had a 3-4” wide stick (log) pop up while he was riding his 4 wheeler and go between his calf and shin bone through and through. How it missed every major nerve and vessel I have no idea. Lots of reconstructive surgery to the skin and muscle.

2 years ago had a guy nail gun his junk to his leg with a framing nail gun. Urology handled that. Lots of nails through feet hands andnothwr parts of the limbs over the years.
    YIKES... I can’t help but let out a giggle about that one... It turned my stomach and made me lag at the same time.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Youza!!

I was roofing a shed... I was on top and man below was sliding sheets up to me. I grabbed a sheet but didn't get a good grip... As it slid out of my hand, a BIG 3" sliver, went in the glove, near my palm, entered above the knuckle on the side of my pinki... slid all the way down the inside of the pinki and out the tip where it broke off.

The leather glove was stuck on my hand, wood exited the tip of my finger but not the glove and the strangest sensation of hot cold while not being able to bend that finger. (Hot and cold was glove filling with blood)

I was pulling pieces of wood out of that finger for over two years. NO I was not "smart enough" to go to the doctor. We where hours away from any hospitals or cavitation. Besides we THOUGHT we got it all out and pretty easily stopped bleeding.

Hope it doesn't pain ya much, speed healing! Like my dad always said, its a good thing your tough,(me) cause when you do stupid things, its best your at least tough. I think it was a John Wayne quote as well...

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-28-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Working at the mill or lathe, filing or drilling, you get those small two ended sharp slivers in your hand. Just lightly rub a fingertip over it to feel which way it went in, then rub it the smooth way with 320 grit sandpaper and it will grab the sliver sliding it out. An old machinist told me. Worked in aircraft and would get aluminum chips in the eye, get them out with a smooth end lead pencil. The pencil will not cause the eye to blink and the chip is easy to get out before it has time to imbed while you are waiting in the infirmary.

Moderator Emeritus

I repaired electronics for a living and was always cutting off wire. I started having this sharp pain in my foot but couldn't find a sliver or entrance hole... after 4 days it festered a bit and I could find the entry by squeezing... I saw a tiny end of wire stick out so I grabbed it with a needle nose and pulled. 3 inch long piece of wire must have got into my shoe and embedded in my foot. It was in the heel so every step hurt like heck!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Stepdad from hell was using table saw, ripping boards carelessly. Told him in high school we used a push board. “I don’t need no stinking push board. I’ve been doing this for 30 years …” at which point he sawed off 1/2” of thumb. “Nope! You don’t need no stinking push board!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Never had one through anything, but about 2 weeks ago, slid my foot along the grain of the wood flooring in the living room. Got about a 1/2"-3/4" splinter embedded into my heel.

That was fun having the wife pull out.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Working at the mill or lathe, filing or drilling, you get those small two ended sharp slivers in your hand. Just lightly rub a fingertip over it to feel which way it went in, then rub it the smooth way with 320 grit sandpaper and it will grab the sliver sliding it out. An old machinist told me. Worked in aircraft and would get aluminum chips in the eye, get them out with a smooth end lead pencil. The pencil will not cause the eye to blink and the chip is easy to get out before it has time to imbed while you are waiting in the infirmary.

In a biography of the actor David Niven, there's a story about him, and his buddy Erol Flynn.

One of them had one of those big wooden motor yachts, and would go to Catalina Island on occasion.
    Those old boats had a real ice box. You'd get a block of ice, put it in one compartment, and it would cool the other.
    If you wanted ice for a drink, you'd take the block out, and chip some off with a old fashioned ice pick.

David Niven was doing that in the cabin, when the boat heaved or rolled, and he stabbed it through his hand.
    Before he could pull it out, Erol Flynn told him, "Don't pull it out yet, let's go show the girls".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123