RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever Have A Giant Splinter Through Your Hand?

Banned
    My dad told me the story of when as a kid he jumped off the back porch. There was a chicken foot with the leg bone pointing straight up. Went right through his foot. Ugh. Dam chickens.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Had a drunk guy come in the ER about a decade ago that had a 3-4” wide stick (log) pop up while he was riding his 4 wheeler and go between his calf and shin bone through and through. How it missed every major nerve and vessel I have no idea. Lots of reconstructive surgery to the skin and muscle.

2 years ago had a guy nail gun his junk to his leg with a framing nail gun. Urology handled that. Lots of nails through feet hands andnothwr parts of the limbs over the years.
    ill bet you 50 to 1 that the guys brand new EX gal pal did that for him.

Boolit Master

"Knock on wood" never had anything too serious happen in 34 years of construction besides an occasional nail in foot, gun nail through a finger, splinters and missing the nail with a 22 oz. Estwing. BUT, I went to visit my brother one day, no one home but it appeared he'd been working on something on front porch as his chop saw was set up and a few other tools. I noticed some blood sprayed on porch and front wall and a trail of ants. I followed the trail and several ants was carrying what looked part of a finger! Got in touch with him later at hospital and learned he had to have a skin graph to replace that part. He kept wanting to know why I didn't recover what the ants took and I replied that I didn't think it would have done any good considering the amount of time that went by! He recovered ok.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    22 yr in a wood shop . I never had a through and through sliver , I did have a couple that were very nearly full finger pads . Several that went quite deep under a finger nail , mostly from truck decks .
    I've had 2 stuck nails both from board chips a 3rd could have been had it not just peeled most of my thumb nail off .
    Bleed them a little , wash it off , band aid , move along .

I was out the day the guy stuck his arm in the 16" radial arm saw , just a nick only 300 stitches or so , no bone damage .

I was also out all 3 times guys got a gloved hand sucked up in a drill press . Not real pretty with a 2" cutter . Who the hell wears gloves anywhere near a drill press ?

Several occasions of nailed boots and feet to truck decks and at least 2 fingers to pallets .

My number one was getting my foot under a steer wheel of a 4000# electric fork lift . Did you know that will crush the oil out of a leather boot if it creases ? The toe cap didn't collapse and outside of a mild sprain and needing a new pair of boots (and shorts) no harm done . So forgive me if I push Red Wings . The second time it happened it was a drive wheel on a 4000# fork . No damage to me just needed new boots . Best math puts the load at 3400# . ANSI required 1100# crush . The Red Wing guy told me they pulled random boots off the line and out of stock and tested to 1700# chrush . If they failed they would pull the whole run . So twice I spot tested a safety shoe to twice it's tested rating and 3x it's Gov mandate . Thanks that it worked .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I knew at an early age that I like to work with my hands. So, drill bits, screw drivers, hammers and nails (guns), boards - beat up and new, and probably many other things I'n not thinking of rite now have all contributed to "leaks" along the way. My #2 son told his friend once that I had a "Highly Contagious, Incurable African Skin Disease" cause my hands always sported scabs and abrasions all over. Sadly, I miss those days cause they won't to anything near what they used to.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Grand Master

As a retired Lineman I'm familiar with splinters. I've had them in my forehead, chin, chest and arms. Poles in older neighborhoods are often badly chewed up from the telephone and cable guys going up and down them constantly. I always felt more comfortable once I got above the phone line.

Jon, watch carefully for infection.

Boolit Master
    when I was in the third grade I had to have a 1 inch long pice of wood floor cut out of my arm.

Moderator Emeritus

Plenty of them just never a through and through one. Did see my Father cut my brother's arm with a power saw. He kept the safety slide up with a wedge of wood. Almost cut the entire way around. Over 500 stitches. Good thing he was on the rescue squad. My brother was able to keep the arm and use it. Told folks he was bitten by a shark.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Over the years, I have seen two ramrods broke and ran through the hand in speed events. That is why we don't generally have speed events at our shoots.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    In stocking feet shuffling across a white oak floor I had a sliver enter between my big toe and the one next to it and exit behind the ball of my foot. the only time my wife has seen me cry!

Banned

A neighbor friend of mine, who was a roofer, and I re-roofed my house a few years ago and he had a lot of stories. He related to me how many years ago while doing some repairing to a roof, so was using a big nail gun not one for nailing roofing nails for shingles, he got in a hurry and nailed a foot to the roof. I told him I bet that hurt and he said it did, but not near as bad as when he stopped cussing, assessed the situation to find no one was around within ear shot, and then had to take the claw hammer off his belt to free himself.

I've never had a day quite that bad. Glad I don't do roofing or construction for a living, seems if you do it long enough, you have a few stories like that.

Boolit Master
    That's why I carried the dykes!

I'll take a pine splinter of any size any day over one of these. Black Locust thorns. 6" ruler at the bottom for scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c98.jpg  

Banned
    OK, my worst, not the biggest or longest, sliver.
    I was helping a friend re-stain an old cedar fence, we were in a hurry -- crummy job, I had a piece of stain soaked cedar jamb into my thumb hitting the bone hard enough for part of it to break off. It took months to heal, it would fester up, I'd get drunk and try to carve it out. This went on for some time untill I got it all out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    Today, people do something like that intentionally and pay money for it.

yeah... that costs extra in the florida keys.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I'll take a pine splinter of any size any day over one of these. Black Locust thorns. 6" ruler at the bottom for scale.
    These thorns from the locust trees cause the wound to be infected, had one to go through the top of a leather boot when a limb fell on it like to have never healed. Hard on tractor tires also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Years ago when my Dad worked at Western Printing & Publishing Co. in Poughkeepsie the guy that was working next to him was goofing around with an air hammer. He ended up nailing his foot to the floor.....
    Not Dad, the other guy...
    Just like in the movie "The Girl That Played With Fire"...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

I worked at a service station in high school. The local soil conservation office traded with us. They would come in with thorns in their tires occasionally. I hated working on them. 16 inch 8 ply tube type tires on split rims. Usually really muddy! Its about impossible to get the thorn out without leaving a sliver.

Boolit Buddy
    Funny this topic came up my wife just pulled a toothpick size splinter out of the web of my left hand.

And the list goes on! 1.Had a chicken stuck under the fence. As I was getting her loose she squawked and the big white rooster ran in and spurred me through the back of my hand. Could feel the nerves under the palm hurting. Major pain. Healed ok. 2. Dad slid along the top board of the chute trying to put a saddle on the horse, got a splinter in the belly. A year later he asked my uncle to look at it. There was a soft bump that he scraped with a sharp knife. Week later he looked again and put some pressure on it and a long splinter squirted out. 3.
    My oldest son was 3 to 4 years old and got in my lap and touched his leg mid quad and told me hoit (hurt) . Under pressure it would peak, scraped it as I had seen my uncle do and later a cactus thorn came out smashed on both ends looking like a wood stake beaten on.
    4. Had the boys at the Boys Ranch washing and polishing the J.D. haybailer. I looked back and saw the boy dancing on the top of it. Started over to get him down from it just as he slipped, one foot landed on the six inch x 5/16 hay pick up rod. Went through the heel and past the ankle bone and pushing the skin out. He tried to pull his foot off it. I got my hand between the steel and his foot and pulled it off. Then we dealt with shock and took him to the Dr. Some antibiotics and he was OK.
    5. Worked in Mobile on the F105. Had a substitute new nurse. We were all ragged out from working overtime. Lots of stress. Got my thumb caught behind a spot face where you place the cutter on the stem protruding from the hole with your fingers and your partner spins the cutter with the airdrill motor. Mixed signal thumb nail cut three time 1/16th apart. Go to infirmery. I am sitting on a chair. Guy # two passed out on the floor , nurse nervously reviving him when guy # three comes in that had drilled a 3/32 hole in his finger with blue looking twisted ligaments hanging out slowly unwinding and going back in the hole, the blue coming from the aluminum on the drill.. She got up quickly and pulled a drinking cup from the stack, filled it with Hydragen Peroxide , handed it to him, came to me with a small scissor and attempted to cut the flaps of nail off, I went limp and slid off the chair. The nurse looked at #3 in time to see him finish drinking the last of the HP and headed toward the poision chart then hurried out the door carrying her purse. Wasn't long and she was back with a pint of milk and told #3 to drink it. #1 was in a sitting position as well as I and the poor girl was about ready to cry.. ..Could go on through number 15 but I will sign off and give someone else a chance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast