Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever Have A Giant Splinter Through Your Hand?

Boolit Grand Master

Ever Have A Giant Splinter Through Your Hand?

We are putting up a new ceiling on the porch which is 1x6 pine and will be solid stained white or off white to go with the rest of the walls. While getting ready to lift up the 12ft pine board with my wife on the other end I managed to slide my hand along the edge and get a splinter. Ok, a big one that went entirely through my hand. That sucked

I went "owwwww" and dropped the board. My wife set her end down and looked at the 3 inch long splinter sticking out of both sides and said "that looks like it hurts". You Figure??

She grabbed a pair of lineman pliers and pulled it out. That hurt worse than it going in, dumped 91% Alcohol on it then I pressed paper towels on it until the bleeding stopped. Smeared it with Bag Balm, put the tools away and called it a day.

Still kinda pinches a little. Ugh....
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I can say that I had a 2x4 splinter through my "talking" finger once. That was very unpleasant, to say the least......

And believe it or not, the only splinters that I got from 22 years at a sawmill were metal splinters when I was a saw filer.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I have a friend that shot a nail thru the bone of a finger. He showed me one of the x-rays, that was freaky!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    About fifty some odd years ago I was shooting my long bow and using Port Orford cedar arrows. I guess one had a crack in it and I didn't notice. When I released the arrow, the back half of the arrow went into my hand between the thumb and index finger and was sticking out both sides. I had to pull the arrow out myself and there was a very large hole completely through my hand. That was one of those "what did you do" moments when I showed my mother (I got blamed for everything no matter the cause). She poured alcohol on it and wrapped it with a lot of gauze. No emergency room visits for me. It took about two months to heal. Having a hole in your hand in that spot's a real problem. Every time you use your hand you open the wound up. I think stitches would have allowed it to heal in a few weeks if it had been treated right. I never shot another arrow without checking it out first.

Boolit Master
    Not a splinter, but a 3/16 drill bit through my thumb. Does that count?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Years ago when my Dad worked at Western Printing & Publishing Co. in Poughkeepsie the guy that was working next to him was goofing around with an air hammer. He ended up nailing his foot to the floor.....
    Not Dad, the other guy...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I was tearing down a house. stepped on a board that had a 16 penny nail sticking up. looked down saw the nail sticking out of the top of my boot. cut the doard off and walked into the doctors office.

Nothing so drastic has happened to me, but as a kid, one of my buddies stepped on a board and a nail went in and came out the top of his foot.

He ran inside to his Mom, who had been a Army nurse working for Gen. Patton, chasing Rommel across N. Africa.
    She looked down, saw the problem, stepped down on the board and said, "Lift your foot up...… now go wash it".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Hope you have your shots up to date. Yea, walked home with piece of 2x4 on the bottom of tennis shoe, asked Mom to pull it off. That was before nail buns and it was just a bare nail, no glue on it. Had to take my kid to ER afte a part of a splinter moved and got infected. 106F temp and the doc had to cut it out of his leg.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    had a 9" one thru "MR. Happy" sideways....didn't want anyone to remove it but me.

when doing #1 i had to play it like a piccolo... then the infection ...then the healing ...dr. bills et al.

what don't kill ya....makes for good scars & stories.

Pine is really bad for that, specially dimensioned boards from big box stores. I haven't gotten skewered through with something that large, but I've done it enough where now I just break the edges on them preemptively to save me some hand ache.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Moderator Emeritus

When I worked at the cabinet plant I made a LOT of lazy Susan trays... the rim is a thin plywood and we got in a batch that was peeling apart and splintering. Ran a splinter completely thru my thumb, boss saw me stop and waked over just in time to see me yank it out and the blood spray. He fainted, I had to clean up the blood with bleach because he was squeamish and looking green LOL

Boolit Master
    No.1 rule when handling pine or cypress "DON'T SLIDE YOUR HAND ALONG THE WOOD". I went to grab a 2x12 to cut step stringers. Fella on the other end shoved just as I grabbed. Splinter went in on the palm side of my index finger knuckle and came out near the finger nail. Couldn't bend my finger. And it was treated. Put a fresh blade in the utility knife and got it out. Wrapped some napkins and duct tape around it and went back to work. Wearing gloves just gets more stuff stuck to your hands. Safety broke on a Bostich framing nailer and went auto while I was nailing floor joists above my head. Nail went through the meaty part of my hand between thumb and wrist. Pulled dykes out of my nail pouch, cut the head off the ring shank nail, and pulled my hand off the joist. Napkin and duct tape to the rescue and back to work.

I saw old Cuban ex-fisherman making lobster traps. They'd drink anejo and cut sticks with a radial arm saw. Sometimes there fingers were too close and they'd get parts of 1 or 2 cut off. They'd stick the finger in the bottle (didn't want to waste any), wrap it with their hankerchief and go back to work.

I once was using a phillips bit on my drill to drive screws when it slipped off the screw head and through my finger. That hurt a bit....took about 2 months to heal up.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Had a drunk guy come in the ER about a decade ago that had a 3-4” wide stick (log) pop up while he was riding his 4 wheeler and go between his calf and shin bone through and through. How it missed every major nerve and vessel I have no idea. Lots of reconstructive surgery to the skin and muscle.

2 years ago had a guy nail gun his junk to his leg with a framing nail gun. Urology handled that. Lots of nails through feet hands andnothwr parts of the limbs over the years.

Boolit Master
    as kids we often fooled around in our families salvage yard (9 blocks from the garage) one day while while mimicking some movie we had seen, I jumped from roof of 5 ton international truck to the ground (not noticeing a intake valve that was standing stem up on the ground) came right out the the top of my brand new goodyear high top running shoe, about halfway between toes and ankle mid point. That was the longest ride on my peddle bike I have ever taken to get home, it fit so tight I couldn't pull it back out, neither could mum, my uncle was at the shop so he yanked it out using a small cat bar and a pair of vise grips, still hurts when my foot gets cold.

Boolit Master
    I did it lengthwise down my arm about 3" stuck in side, sliding old pressure treated boards off the rack of my van. The guy with me almost passed out when I took a Sheetrock knife out, changed the blade and cut it out. Smaller pressure treated splinters you can't get out will fester and usually push out with some help in a couple of days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    had a 9" one thru "MR. Happy" sideways....didn't want anyone to remove it but me.

when doing #1 i had to play it like a piccolo... then the infection ...then the healing ...dr. bills et al.

what don't kill ya....makes for good scars & stories.
    Today, people do something like that intentionally and pay money for it.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Ever Have A Giant Splinter Through Your Hand?

Back in the 4th grade the school bully used to thwap me in my ear . Warned him to quit. He didn’t listen. The next thump somehow was intercepted with my very sharp pencil transgressing his palm. Looked really even on both sides of his hand. He chased me around the entire school 4 times before he got tired. For some unknown reason he didn’t thunk my ears any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    The n the Corps while going to comm school we had a guy fall on the telephone pole & bear hugged the whole way down. About a week later we were both taking a shower when he grabbed something from his chest and pull. Out came a foot long sliver the size of a pencil from under his sternum. Nasty !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast