Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonna turkey hunt with a 410

Boolit Master
    Just watched a video on YouTube of 22plinkster killing a Tom with a Henry single shot 410. I'd be tempted to try it if I had plenty of opportunities at getting a shot. I live in the desert now and a turkey hunt means I'm traveling so that means I'm taking a cannon. If they were in my backyard on the bird feeder I'd me more inclined to make it interesting.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    Just one old fart's opinion but:

A 20 gauge with 3/4 ounce loads would pattern far better as would a 12 bore with 7/8 ounce. Either can be loaded to recoil no bore than a .410 which has a long shot string and is much harder to shoot well and load for.

My Ithaca trap gun is much nicer to shoot with 7/8 oz loads than some 6 pound .410 with any load. It also shoots patterns with nickel plated 6s that would remove a turkeys head at 35 yards.
    I’d like to see that. I shot one last year at less than 10 yards with a light trap load of 7 1/2. It blew the side of its neck off and the wad made a fist size hole in its chest. It acted like a cut shell. The shot never had a chance to start spreading. I’ve also shot several turkeys using my 10 gauge with 2oz of number 5’s and 2 7/8oz of number 6’s with MAX dram at 15 yards that holds 99% of the pattern in a 6” circle at that distance and the head still stays in tact, ripped skin with several BB holes that makes it look like Swiss cheese. I hate to brake the news to you only way your taking a turkeys head off at 35 yards is with a slug or a rifle.

10 yards with 7/8 oz. , 7 1/2 cheap Wally world Winchester 12 gauge ammo that runs $25 for a 100 rounds....

I shot one out of the air a few seconds prior from the same group at about 20 yards that folded it deader than a door nail as well. It all started when I shot a rabbit on the edge of my ridge line. At the shot two turkeys flew up, I shot one, and then two squirrels ran up a dead tree 10 yards in front of me all the while more turkeys were clucking and squawking at the shot below my eyeline trying to figure out what just happened. I kneeled down and a few seconds later another turkey walked within 10 yards of me(the one above) and I nailed it, blowing the thing sideways at the shot. A few seconds later one of the squirrels showed its head out of the dead tree it ran onto. Four shots within about 30 seconds, gun emptied, and four animals down. I didnt expect this weak/cheap ammo to take down turkeys and was shocked it folded the one in the air like it did. Wasn’t expecting to see any and my hunter’s instinct took over and I pulled the trigger on that flier before I even realized what happened. Found that antler as well. Good day!

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.

MY M500 Tac Gun with the Vang Comped barrel patters #8's into 7" at 15 yards and about 15" at 25.

I haven't shot my Citori O/U that close but with full chokes it should be right there with the rest of you. My M6 Scout would probably be my preferred Turkey gun if you guys took me hunting back there, cuz its really light and easy to carry and shoots .410's as well as anything else..

We don't have that many turkeys around out here but there are a few here and there.

Here's one in my back yard. Could have made that 5 yard shot with my sling shot but my wife objected.

She got lost from her flock and hung around for a couple days and then moved on.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-01-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I went though a .410 phase a few years ago and feel like I learned a little that I'll try to contribute.

Ammunition-
    Since a .410 she'll has no cushion for its shot, in order to keep.shot deformation to a minimum, one must choose his loads carefully. I used a Lyman shotshell manual and chose a 3" load with the lowest possible chamber pressure, matching the components exactly. Use only hard (high antimony or plated) shot.

Shotgun-
    Send your barrel to Michael Orlean and have him lengthen the forcing cone. This will help the shot transition from the chamber to the bore with minimal damage. While he has it have him thread it for screw in chokes and buy MOD, IM and FULL chokes.
    Then pattern your loads and never assume a full choke will be best. In fact I'd bet your best results will be from a modified or improved modified.

I have a little Spanish SxS .410 and had tubes installed in it (it came with long forcing cones). It is death on quail and doves within 30 yds. and I do betterwith it on the skeet range than i.do with a 20 or 12.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1100370C-CE50-4A51-AD6A-EC6992E7C523.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	235067

This is my main hunting buddy with his first gobbler. 3” Remington shell, 7-1/2 shot. Distance was 45 steps. Way too far for this 410. Tom dropped at the shot but started to wake up after we got there. One pellet hit it on top of the head and knocked it cold. A stick across the neck settled it.
    I don’t know who was more surprised, him, me or his dad.
    Somethings are just meant to be.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

You are getting acceptable patterns with 11/16 oz of lead shot at 35 yards? I'll admit to being a .410 dummy, they are not legal to turkey hunt with here, but have done extensive testing with 12 gauge lead shot. I have now gone to using the blackpowder 12 gauge, although with an extra full choke. My best load, 1 3/4 oz #5 lead only gets 85 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards, which I consider to be my maximum. Many guys want 100 pellets inside a 10" circle. You have about 155 pellets total in your load. A .410 will work fine, I just think 20 yards is a more realistic maximum. I say this as someone who has seen more than one turkey killed with a "golden BB", usually needing a final choking out to finish.

Boolit Master
    With lead 20 to 25 is approiate. My full choke Flite King would do the job at 25 easily. Pattern is about 12 inches dia and hot in the center with #6 Rem 3 inch. That range limitation is why people are paying 50$ a lb for 18grcc TSS shot. It dosent deform in the barrel and is 1.6ish times heavier than lead. They are getting adequate penetration and pattern density at up to 60 yards with $9TSS. Too much $$$$ for my blood, and I would rather fish in tbe spring. My turkeys fall in the fall to an 870 12 gage with 1 1/4 of lead 4s. Prefer to take the hens that are generally legal in the fall. And sneeking up to flush them like giant quail is a major rush! Not trying that with a 410!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    I've not personally killed one with a .410, but I aided and abetted a young man in doing so once.
    Here's the link to the post from a couple of years back. It's a great story, if I do say so myself. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2126976

Even better find a nice sweet shooting 28 gauge. They have much better patterns.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post

This is my main hunting buddy with his first gobbler. 3” Remington shell, 7-1/2 shot. Distance was 45 steps. Way too far for this 410. Tom dropped at the shot but started to wake up after we got there. One pellet hit it on top of the head and knocked it cold. A stick across the neck settled it.
    Your hunting buddy is a better shot than me! The young man did a fine job.

BB

I know a number of folks who want a shotgun to kill a Tom at 50 plus yards. These same folks also have missed birds that are up close because there load has little spread up close. I plan to stay disciplined and only shoot a bird that is struttin' for my decoy.

BB

Boolit Master
    I actually bought some of the federal #9 tss loads to try in my mossberg 500E, I'm tired of getting beat up from the 12ga. I will still limit my shots at 40yds, I haven't started loading for the 410 yet, but the price of tss is kinda steep, but what isn't nowadays! Under 30yds lead loads will kill them all day, but sometimes the turkeys hang up!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Even better find a nice sweet shooting 28 gauge. They have much better patterns.
    Agree 100%. The 28 gauge performs very much like a 20 ga. The .410 doesn't come close to the 28 ga performance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post

That picture is pure gold, just look at the smile on that lads face. That bird is bigger than him, this is where the 410 really shines they are light enough and hit hard enough for young kids to use, well done. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

I am fortunate enough to have turkeys within a short walk back of the house. As such I am willing and able to try different guns/gauges/loads on them without too much difficulty. I agree with the above posts that are in the "you don't need a big magnum and lots of shot" to get the job done. I believe your in the right frame of mind BB when you state that you are after the close in birds that come to your decoys. Just know your shotguns patterns by shooting it at say 10 to 25 yards and stick with your plan. I have taken birds with small payloads of lead #5s in 20 gauge by waiting for the close in shot that I know to pattern well. Actually one pellet in the right place will do the job if you do your part too. You may have to run to get a good hold of the bird before he runs off to hide but I am sure you can get it done. We will want to see the pictures and hear the story.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I would use a .410 under the conditions you describe. It's as deadly as needed. Luckily for me where I live you can use handguns and rifles too. A .22LR rifle will take a Tom just fine. So will .54 RB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12