Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Stevens side plate Favorite

Boolit Buddy

Stevens side plate Favorite

i'm in need of a barrel. Unlikely I'll find an original, so are there any 22lr Stevens barrels, round, at least 22 inches long, and have a one line address on top? I think the 94 Favorite could be ordered with a round barrel, but they must be uncommon as well. Best, DAN

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You haven’t looked on eBay have you? There are several
    Regards
    John

Do have the lathe and mill necessary to fit a new barrel? The shank length is not the same as a '94 Favorite, and the dimple for the retaining screw is very different. The one-line rollstamp is scarcer than frog fur. AFAIK found only on the two-diameter-shank they used in 1894, and not all of those.

After about 1899 the position of the extractor in the '94 Favorite changed.

If what you have is a rusted-out original, a liner will restore it as good or better than new. If you have a lathe, Brownells will sell you the liner and the necessary tooling. It's not all that hard.

If you can bring yourself to abandon originality, there are lots of sources for barrels. Gunbroker has supplied me with half a dozen or so Marlin Model 60 barrels to use as blanks for boys' rifles. Of those, only one had a bore that wasn't like new. Ream a nice tight competition chamber and they shoot very well.
    Last edited by uscra112; 08-16-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    yes, I have the necessary equipment and tooling to do the job. I have no barrel. I am hoping to find a barrel with the right roll stamp. If that doesn't happen, I'll have to fit a replacement. Anyone have the dimensions of the original barrel?

All I can add is that Grant mentions in passing that the small sideplates had all-round barrels. And I'm 99% sure that the one-line rollstamp wasn't used after 1894, and pretty early in 1894 at that. All 1894 pattern .22s had the half-octagon barrel in one form or another, right up to WW1.

deHaas' book gives shank dimensions. For the small sideplate, shank is .625 diam. x 2.000 inches long, major diam of barrel .740. For 1894 Favorites with side extractor, .665 shank diam. x 1.536 long, barrel O.D. also .740 (across the flats). Nearest all-round barrel that will have any Stevens markings at all is the Model 12 Marksman, which is .750 diameter with a .685 shank. The Marksman debuted in 1912, and in consequence suffered through the corrosive primer period. I've never found one that didn't need a liner.

For an adjunct to a database I'm keeping of Model 44s, it would be interesting to know the s/n of your frame. P/M me if you don't want to publish it in open forum.

Phil
    Last edited by uscra112; 08-16-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident