Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favorite Walther PP/PPK clone

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I like my cz50 may not exactly be a pp clone but close. The ppk to be made in the us is a ppks not a ppk it has the long grip. I have wanted a ppk in 32 acp for a long time looking at current prices it will be a lot longer. But someday.

Banned
    The PPK/S was a way to get around the 1968 GCA point system that restricts imports of small pistols.
    The PPK/S was a PP frame with a PPK length slide/barrel.
    The Interarms marketed PPK was made in America so it was not subject to import restrictions. But the Walther made PPK was too small to make the "sporting" requirement of the GCA and could not be imported. So, Walther put the short slide/barrel of the PPK onto the longer PP frame and created the PPK/S which did meet the import requirements.

The three variations are the PP, PPK and PPK/S.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 01-27-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Anybody have experience with the current PPK/S .22 LR? They sure look neat.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    My current Walther PP x 32 ACP is one of the West German retired police sidearms. Utterly reliable, and small-game/varmint-capable. Ground squirrels and jackrabbits loathe that pistol with depth and vigor.

The SIG P-230 is a fine pistol. There were a number of those scattered among my old shop's personnel, they ran well and were popular among admin staff and as back-up arms. One range rat/former Marine I worked with used to crack jokes about the 380 pistols when people qualified with them--"Be careful with that thing--it can raise quite a welt!" Requiescat in Pacem, Sgt. Charlie Varga.

Bigslug is correct--lots of mastodons still hanging on like California condors in an era that is striker-fired and plastic-framed. Ruger Blackhawks and 1911A1-series clones still sell well. Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery have sold their share of Model 29 and PPK sideiron, for sure. The key is to make the product with some quality, and to finish building it before sending it out to customers. I didn't mind honing the throats of my Bisley Blackhawk x 45 Colt to get them correct, but price and sell the unit like the "revolver kit" that it is. Nicely enough, my newest fleet addition (Ruger Bisley Hunter in 44 Magnum) is VERY well-finished and its dimensions are well-nigh perfect.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought my ex a P230SL when we first started our family. It is probably my favorite clonish Pistol. Accurate, reliable and just plain fits well for a smaller handgun (at the time).

Boolit Master
    Are times I wish had not sold the old Walther PP I had. One day the safety broke and flew out of the slide, replaced it then sold the gun not long after.

Still wish I had the 1934, neat little gun. But a bit heavy compared to modern 380s.

Was a time the Walther pp/ppk was a really good design. But there are way smaller and lighter pocket guns to buy now.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Are times I wish had not sold the old Walther PP I had. One day the safety broke and flew out of the slide, replaced it then sold the gun not long after.

Still wish I had the 1934, neat little gun. But a bit heavy compared to modern 380s.

Was a time the Walther pp/ppk was a really good design. But there are way smaller and lighter pocket guns to buy now.
    Safety is weakest link because German police doctrine was to use the safety to drop the hammer on a loaded chamber and this got done several times daily, and over many years of service the part will embrittle and break off. In years of experience with these, this is the only part which breaks on them.

In the former German police guns if you intend to carry them for SD, if you don't have the ability to ultrasonic test, xray or Magnaflux the safety, replace it with a NEW one from Walther, NOT a used one you got from Numrich!

Attachment 234828
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    check out a Hungarian pa 63. I got one for the wife. it is 9x18 which has more punch then the .32. you can still get one for $250 or less.
    I'll second that . I've had a couple over the years . Never had a lick of trouble with them in the original 9 x18 makarov chambering and they were lighter and more accurate than my real Russian or EG maks
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Yea it was an old police gun, why I stopped using the drop safety on guns anymore. Bought a p1 recently, not going to drop the hammer with the safety ever if I can help it.

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't mind the weight CZ82's are still available. Very nice guns, and mine was unfired when I recieved it years ago.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

Another Fan of the PA-63. Preferably in 7.65mm.

Boolit Master
    Is the Walther safety like the P-64, ie, does the hammer follow the slide when safety is on?

I almost never drop the hammer with the safety. I put the safety on and then chamber a round. The hammer goes down as the slide goes forward. No impact on the safety and it does the job nicely. I have not seen a reason to drop the hammer. I guess if you have fired it and want to apply the safety? Have not done that either. If I am firing it I usually empty the magazine

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the Radom P64... changed out the springs and replaced grips and it is a great shooter. Solid and have not experienced any issues with cast or jacketed handloads... only issue I had was with factory ammo made by PPU it bulged, but fired ok... I now use 9mm american mfg brass and resize to 9x18 Makarov.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12