Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman T Mag - what's a good price?

Banned

Lyman T Mag - what's a good price?

I have an option to buy this "Lyman t mag turret press with an extra turret head"

Is it a good press? What's a good price for it and are parts still available

Thanx

Boolit Master

I don't know what the current price on them is, but I had three of them set up on my loading bench
    years ago when I was shooting handgun silhouette (one for each caliber) and they didn't work worth
    a ****. The turret heads always tilted when sizing brass. Tried to tighten the head and then it wouldn't
    turn. Used them for awhile, and then sold them (cheap) Used the money to buy a Forester Co Ax
    press and never looked back. Best investment I ever made. Hope this helps.
    Denny

Boolit Master
    Parts are probably the same as the T Mag II.I have a T Mag II.It has no tilt or flex in the turret.I also have a RCBS turret press.It has flex in the turret.RCBS customer service sent me a thicker washer to correct the problem.It helped but didn't cure the problem.I use both of the turret presses to load pistol ammo so they work OK.
    $100.00 to $120.00 should be an OK price on the press with the extra turret.

Boolit Master
    Have the T-Mag and there is a LOT of flex in the turret. I only load 45 ACP on it and it is not an issue, but would not want to load rifle with it. A trick I found was to use use a feeler gauge between the turret and the support arm to reduce/eliminate movement. Since the flex wasn't and issue with 45 I don't bother when loading pistol. The Mag II has a nut in the support which can be adjusted to do this. Rifle I load on a RCBS RC. I got the T-Mag cheap as it had a cracked frame where the support rods hit the press frame, actually a small chip caused by the arms not hitting the frame evenly. I screwed a piece of structural nylon to my bench front to stop the arms just before they bottomed out to stop the cracking and it has been in heavy use for over 5 years.

Think I paid $50 for mine, don't recall if that included shipping. Low price because of the crack.

Banned
    I already have a lyman ST I was given and the slop it terrible.

I really like the concept

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    What I did to get rid of the slop was turn the turret to the desired station, and tighten the nut, until it was rigid. I think some models come with an adjustment bolt in the back to minimize movement. I never looked, but there might be enough meat back there on an S-T and that one to drill and tap a hole, so you can add one yourself. If it's a small bolt I go with grade eight.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

I drilled and taped the back of mine for a small bolt to adjust the "slop" from
    the turret. It didn't work to well as the head of the bolt would catch on the
    turret and bind. You can tighten the center nut down but then you lose the
    reason the turret was put on to start with....
    Denny

Boolit Buddy

No idea of current value, but I have loaded rifle ammo on the T-Mag that shot 10 rounds groups in the 2’s at 100 yards. That’s 10 rounds in groups under .300 inches, in both .223 and .243. If there is any flex, it makes no difference in performance of ammo loaded on it.