Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: please talk me out of this

Boolit Bub
    Win 92 converted to 357(doesn't count for this discussion), Win 94, older 94 Marlin both in 44 mag AND what looks like similar type barrels, a 336 and a 94 AE both 30-30 plus an original 336 444. All shoot just fine after you discover what they like. 311291 @ .311. 429244gc @ 430. 357 east everything.

There is more than one issue here. How old is Win 94, if it's not pre 64 the Marlin may worth more. The same with the Marlin JM. Is it pre safety & how old is it. The 336 action is stronger than a 94 Win, get real. The Marlin Micro groove will shoot cast when boolits are sized to its liking. I'm basically a Pre 64.Win guy but I have several
    Marlins. The only thing 94Win has on 336 is weight. The Marlins advantage is scope friendly. The rest is BS. If
    you are taking 30/30-32sp or 38/55 what difference does it make that Marlin 336 is stronger? None, that's what the Win 94 was built for.

Banned
    I have several Marlin microgroove rifles and I have never had to do anything odd to get them to shoot.

Anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time knows that .002" over bore size is the key.

It's not rocket surgery.

In my 30-30 Texan I load a 170 gr boolit gas checked and sized to .311" over 25 gr of 3031. Through Skinner peeps sights I hit a clay pigeon at 100 yards. What more do you want?

Now, even though I am a Marlin fan I will say this. If your 94 does all you want it to do then for me it would be hard to justify the purchase.

I used to shoot a Winchester 94 and sold it after I started shooting Marlins. It was a late model Ranger. If it had been a pre-64 model like my M70 Featherweight then I would never have parted with it.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

If you feel good about it, then buy it. It really is that simple. I have all kinds of rifles...some shoot good, some shoot terrible, some like jacketed, some like cast. Some are new, most are very, very old. It don't matter. If it makes your feel-good feel good, then just buy it and be happy.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Some of you Marlin fanboys sure are sensitive. Which gun failed first? I wasnt there at the testing but I just sorta figured it was the weaker one...

I wonder why people bring up that a marlin will shoot a 444 and powerful 45-70 when they argue it's strength. The lowly 30-30 and 32 special operate at the same chamber pressures as both of those big boys. Besides I thought the comparison was between the 94 and 336. No where should the 1895 be considered in an agument

Boolit Buddy
    Is there room in the gun safe/gun room, yes---buy it!
    Do you want it, yes--- buy it.
    It is a good buy/price, yes--- buy it
    Do you have a Marlin, no---buy it.

Ginseng, the 1895 IS a 336. Exact same receiver, with a bit larger ejection port cut, and a bit larger bolt face to accomodate the larger .45/70 rim.
    The 30/30 and .32 Special might operate and near the same pressures as the .444 and .45/70, but what about the .307, 308 MX, .356 Win. and .375 ?
    The Marlin has always been able to handle those with out modification or "being beefed up, like the Winchester Big Bore was.

Hawk Creek, yes, I am a Marlin fan boy, and also just as much of a Winchester fan boy.
    I dearly love the Winchester 1892 and 1886 actions, and the 1866 and 1873 are neat too.
    I have had them all, both original and modern ones. (And a Uberti Henry and a couple of 1895 Winchesters).
    I'm not so much of a Winchester 1894 fan though.

That test was interesting, for sure. But as I said above, Winchester engineers felt it was necessary to come up with a strengthened, thicker version of the 94 to handle the Big Bore calibers, whereas the Marlin 336 could handle them just fine as is. I wonder why that was ?

I 've used both the Marlin and the Winchester a lot and as stated the Win is lighter and the Marlin is easily scoped. But the fact that the Marlins always outshot the Winchesters is no bs in my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sandog
    It is already a proven fact that a 1920's winchester 94 can tolerate higher pressures than both a 336 and a 94 BB
    I'm not here to start an argument I just fail to see how people can argue that a 336 is stronger than a 94 when their is tests conducted to prove otherwise
    I'm an owner of of both rifles. Both are good and I'm sure the hell not a 94 fan boy. However I can not turn my back on evidence.

Just curious, why 1894's made in the 20's ?
    Wouldn't modern steel be better than nearly 100 year old steel ?

Found the link for the levergun tests. Basically some guys recollection from 20 years earlier of destroying leverguns with hot loads. No data provided means no defensible conclusion. He also stated that his fancy barrel survived without damage. How could he use the same barrel on a 336 he used on a 94 as the threaded shanks are completely different?

Winchester also increased the diameter of the threaded barrel shank for the BB series. A marlin 1895 barrel, post 1971 DOM, has the same shank as a 336 barrel.

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 01-27-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    The modern one was an AE bersion with the top right side of the reciever weaker due to that design change. Empirical test showed original design 94 to be stronger than the BB94 AE, I suspect the top eject BB94 would have changed that result. But that was not tested. Makes no difference, none held up to the 454 pressures, any difference in "strength" is negiliable. If anything they proved that the 94 did not neex the cosmetic "beafing up" to handle the 375/356/307 rounds. Original 94 lasted longer than the AE version that was chambered for them and held up fine.
    Link can be found from post 9 abovd.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    Ginseng, the 1895 IS a 336. Exact same receiver, with a bit larger ejection port cut, and a bit larger bolt face to accomodate the larger .45/70 rim.
    The 30/30 and .32 Special might operate and near the same pressures as the .444 and .45/70, but what about the .307, 308 MX, .356 Win. and .375 ?
    The Marlin has always been able to handle those with out modification or "being beefed up, like the Winchester Big Bore was.

Hawk Creek, yes, I am a Marlin fan boy, and also just as much of a Winchester fan boy.
    I dearly love the Winchester 1892 and 1886 actions, and the 1866 and 1873 are neat too.
    I have had them all, both original and modern ones. (And a Uberti Henry and a couple of 1895 Winchesters).
    I'm not so much of a Winchester 1894 fan though.

That test was interesting, for sure. But as I said above, Winchester engineers felt it was necessary to come up with a strengthened, thicker version of the 94 to handle the Big Bore calibers, whereas the Marlin 336 could handle them just fine as is. I wonder why that was ?
    Sandog.
    It was a marketing ploy !!! The engineering part of this "beef up" never made sense - how would the action be strengthened when the side walls are left the same dimension as the original 94? and only some extra metal left around the locking bolt area ? ----some evidence for this ?? the more rapid failure of the angle eject model as compared to a top eject.

The Marlin vs winchester part of this argument is personal preference stuff - doesnt mean zip - want to use a scope? - get a marlin ................want the better handling and lighter weight of a true saddle gun ? - get the winchester.
    I dont like marlins - thats a personal choice - my choice - got nothing to do with anything except I dont like marlins and I do like winchesters ------ I also dont particluarly care who or where the "winchester" is made since the tru blue winchester ceased to be, half a lifetime ago.
    First they ran the gun quality down, then they ran the company bankrupt, and from the mid 1980's (a WAG stab in the dark date!) somebody else, someplace else has been making winchesters. I dont care - the rossis are good guns, the mirokus are good guns, the ubertis are good guns, chiappas are good guns .....ya gota wonder though -- who was the fool running winchester that gave all that market away to a bunch of foreigners? and apart from the rossi these are not cheap guns.

Boolit Master
    Back on topic, do you really expect a bunch of enablers to dissuade you from another rifle
    Go for it, just dont over pay. If it turns out it's not down your alley, well sell it and you will have another experience in the books! Never know, might be a treasure, don't wanna miss out...
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    not scientific testing at all. no idea what was used in the rifles as far as ammunition went.

its not hard to assume people would assume receiver strength based on chamber pressure. In a lever action you have to consider the toggle mechanism, and the reduction of strength to something called "bolt thrust".

And what was the ammo loaded to pressure wise? no transducer hooked up, no validity to it.
    Sort of like saying a 200 grain charge of black powder under 3 squares of toilet paper is more powerful then a 60 grain charge of black powder with a .45 caliber round ball because the BOOM is louder..

Boolit Master
    I had a gunsmith friend happily show me a 1894 winchester he had reworked to the 458x2". Cut down just about any magnum case neck up to 45 caliber and off he went.Someone broke into his apartment and stole it. Then he went to work for the famingdale company on long island NY where they made the first sharps rifles. I was in a machine shop supply house on Long Island and brought a 1898 krag so they could tell me what the threads were on the trigger guard screws. The boss was a nice guy and asked me to come see his office. on a gun rack were 5 of the finest sharps rifles anyone would drool over. Wolfgang Droge was running the farmingdale plant and when he needed tools or supplies would take one of his fancy sharps and used them as money. Then he ended up in montana setting up the assembly line. Eventually he came back to long island and was the gunsmith for Leslie Edelman who had two stores in his name. Fred had a massive heart attack and was gone before EMS could get to him. Frank

Boolit Master
    You should buy the Marlin and have it immediately sent off for a rebarrel in something .338 or. .35 caliber.

.35-30 sounds cool...until you go to buy dies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

No point in having it rebarreled. JES can rebore it to 356 Winchester. Mine feeds converted 308, or 358 Win, cases w/ no issues. Nothing wrong w/ a 30-30 but a 35 caliber Marlin is more better.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I don't know why people keep saying you can't shoot cast bullets in a mico grove barrels. My 444 marlin shoots them just as good as jacketed. If you mean by a lot of silliness you mean hard cast and sizeing slightly larger than for 44 mag well i guess so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast