Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Gas trapping on modified mold?

Boolit Buddy

Gas trapping on modified mold?

So someone here started a great thread showing how they took a lee 32 mold and machined it down to make a cheap 32 acp mold. I follwed suit and had a friend whos and ok machinist knock a little off the top of my mold. When I got it back from him I noticed he didn’t scribe in cuts on top if the mold, inder the sprue plate grooves to let the gas escape, kinda figured he wouldn’t understand that part. So I ran it and it sure seems to be holding gases. Every 3rd or so bullet will have a big bubble in the side of it. Am I correct in assuming this is the gas not being able to escape? Any ideas on how I could cut in some gas lines? Im not gonna let him have another stab at it.

Btw, bullets drop at 77 grains.

Boolit Master

Could start with by cutting a little bevel in the corners of the mold blocks where they mate. Would give air a passage out from under the sprue plate.

Boolit Master

Molds didn't have vent lines that long ago. It will work, just a bit pickier about things like sprue plate tension and pour technique. I did just what taterhead described to my molds without top venting and it works. Just dont take too much or you get little fins on the bullet base.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Slow down the pour.

Boolit Grand Master

You can bevel the edges as described above. Use a fine hard stone or very fine jewelers file. A small combination square and scribe can also be used to vent the top. you need a just visible line (.002-.005 deep) A sharp fine pointed scribe with the squares straight edge will cut very nice clean lines rotate square to each side using the 45* side. and make 2-4 passes along it with the scribe. When done lightly stone with a fine stone to remove the light burrs raised.

I would also recommend checking the faces vent lines to make sure they are open and good. Depending on clamping pressures and material they may have been slightly distorted.

Boolit Master
    The above are some good suggestions. I would add maybe loosen the sprue plate slightly. Try going a little hotter on your alloy so it stays molten longer.

Banned
    More tin.

Boolit Master

I have one of these as well. I love it, but it has a quirk. The mould blocks are now so small that no heat is held. Cast fast and I run my alloy around 710 when using that mould.

Boolit Buddy
    Ill try some of these guys. Including slowing the flow. As far as tin, I always run lots of tin, thats not a problem.