WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a .22 double action revolver...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Thinking about a .22 double action revolver...

This spring I am planning to get a new .22 LR revolver. My specs are adjustable sights, single/double action with swing out cylinder, and 3-5" barrel. So far, the Ruger LCRX and SP-101, Charter Arms Pathfinder, and S&W 63 are what I'm looking at. I'm leaning towards the LCRX as it seems to have the best combination of reasonable price, good reputation, and size to weight ratio. The Charter is the least expensive, about half of what the S&W costs, and I have had good luck with Charter Arms revolvers. The SP-101 is very nice but heavier than I prefer and about $200.00 more than the LCRX. The 63 is about as close to ideal as I can think of, but darn it costs alot. I've examined the 317 and find it is too light for my taste.

So, any opinions or experiences here?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I like the S&Ws. The short barreled 63’s are pricy, but you can find a 4” more reasonably. They are great carry/pocket guns. For serious target or small game shooting, look at the larger K frames. So many nice 22’s out there. The Colt Woodsman is another favorite of mine. Ruger makes nice revolvers and semis as well.

Banned
    My experience with revolvers chambered for 22 rimfire is that you occasionally find one that's just right and is very accurate. However, it seems that's .22 rimfire revolvers have to be almost perfect for that to happen. Each and every chamber must be perfectly cut, the forcing cone needs to be tight and perfect, the timing must be spot on, etc. For some reason, and maybe someone can chime in here, rimfire revolvers seem to be a bit more sensitive to these issues.

I've always found it easier to get a .22 pistol to shoot better than a .22 revolver. I'm not saying that .22 revolvers are always inaccurate - I've seen some fantastic .22 revolvers. I'm just saying that finding a .22 revolver that shoots great is more difficult than finding a .22 pistol that shoots great.

That being said, I've seen some great old K-frame S&W .22's that were works of art in terms of accuracy.

I had a Single Six for years and it was really accurate, at least better than I could produce. The only real drawbacks to it were super slow to unload and the grip shape and lack of double action meant that it couldn't be an,understudy for my centerfire revolvers.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    I have a single six that is also very accurate.
    .22 revolvers can be awesome guns but they can also be a bit hard to find.
    I had a SP101 in .22 that wasn't very accurate and I've seen a few S&W J-frames that we not great. However, I've also seen great examples.

I don't want my comments to be misconstrued, I'm not saying .22 revolvers are inherently inaccurate. I'm just saying that it seems to be harder to find a good .22 revolver than to find a good .22 semi-auto pistol.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 01-25-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Just throwing my 2 cents into the ring. I fell in love with the S&W 617. K frame with 10 rounds. Yes it is pricey, but in my opinion it's worth it. The balance really seems to be there in the 4" model. Worth looking into. I shot a buddy of mines first and then had to go find one.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks, I will look into it. Still gotta pay off Christmas so I have awhile to think about it!

Boolit Master

try to find a K22...S&W...they are superb revolvers
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I'm also a big fan of the S&W 617 10 shot revolver.
    There's special speed loaders and loading blocks for it along with an array of after market grips and sights.

A majority of the revolver plate shooters that I know shoot with this model with about 60% favoring the 4 inch barrel, while I have the 6".
    They point very naturally for combat style shooting.
    Most have bought them used, just like I acquired mine used through a private trade.

Another .22 revolver that I have is a SS Taurus Tracker 9 shot with 6.5" heavy contour barrel.
    The trigger is not nearly as nice as the S&W 617, but I have no complaints about it for the price that I paid.
    It was like new and because it only cost $300 at the time, it was hard to pass up.
    Overall it's a very good value and fun to shoot.
    It has nice sights and functions smoothly.
    There's also H&S speed loaders for it.
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-25-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks. The 617 is very nice, however too big and heavy for my purposes.

Boolit Master

You might be able to find a Model 18 Smith around. It will be pricey but the 4" barrel and accuracy makes it handy for a woods gun. I have two and they spend a lot of time in my levi hip pocket here on the place. My favorites. The K-22 is too long and bulky for my uses but are good shooters./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

This video is from one of our revolver plate shoots where quick & accurate double action shooting is the priority.
    And it doesn't hurt to have some extra capacity either.

Shooting Steel Plates With .22 Revolvers--->>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNAfhbcBJL4&t=3s

At one time I had a brand new 6 shot Ruger SP101.
    It's fit & finish along with its function was a big disappointment.
    It had cylinder rubbing & binding due to bad tolerances.
    Sent it to Ruger and the service tech. probably replaced more parts than necessary which led me to sell it.
    Most people would have considered it to be a lemon, but I realize that can happen with any brand.

However one of my sons has an old Rossi stainless 6 shot with a 4 inch barrel and the action is as slick as greased lightning and it's accurate too.
    It's hard to believe that the workmanship of a cheap Rossi could out class a Ruger SP101 but it happens.
    Some of those Rossi's will spit lead while others can be built spot on.
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-26-2019 at 04:54 AM.

The 18 is quite nice, although I don't think I am going to find one for less than a new 63 costs. I have read that the original 6 shot SP-101 .22's had problems which were rectified in the current model. Rossi has turned out some really nice wheelguns over the years. I have a 461 with 3" tube and it is a great shooter for less than half the cost of an S&W or Ruger equivalent.

I bought my wife an 8 shot sp101 a couple of years ago. The hammer and trigger were real stiff when new. I put a wolf spring kit in it, and after a while it smoothed out. It is a pretty accurate gun, but was pricey when new.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I've had a S&W Model 63 4" for 30-40 years. Extremely accurate, and like most good Smiths over the years the trigger pull has honed down to 2.5 pounds. About 25 years ago a buddy was torn between a 63 and a Ruger Mark I. I had both; so we tested then against each other. The S&W 63 was the most accurate.

Boolit Master
    Not sure weather you mean New in the box, or "new to me". I found a SW M18-1 in very tight condition with some holster wear for 450$, head and shoulders above anything New production. Also picked up a Rossi version of the 63, it is smooth and as accurate as the M63 I had years ago. Traded it for a Browning Challenger, should have kept it, and just paid for the Challenger!
    Don't rule out quality used revolvers, they are generally better than current production and half the price. There is a thread here about how to check out a used revolver.
    My vote is a M18, earlier the better!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have a bucket of 22 revolvers and auto loaders. I can't say It's hard to find a accurate 22 Revolver, you just need to know what to look for. If you are looking at low end stuff you ain't going to find one. I have 9 S&W 22
    revolvers and one auto loader. The 17s, 18s and 34s are all more accurate than the average guy can shoot them the 617 series shoots as well. The auto is a m41 and a real tack driver. I have a couple Ruger Single-6s which are accurate but not close to the S&Ws. I've got Hi Standard autos that aren't shabby either. I've had Ruger
    SP 101, Charter Arms, Hi Standard revolvers and none would outshoot a Ruger Single six. Colt Diamondback is
    up there with the S&Ws. Bottom line if you want more than a plinker you are better off looking for a used M18.
    Probably best for all worlds if you only have one. It's a 4" K22, easier to shoot than M34. Should be able to find a good serviceable 18 for $400-&500. Another upside, well maintained you will never loose a dime if you decide to sell. You get what you pay for.

Boolit Master
    Have a 6" M17 and had a had a 4" M18. Both are fine revolvers and more accurate than most shooters. The M18 is easier to carry due to its smaller size and weight. The M17 is bigger and heavier and works best with a good holster and pistol belt, which is how I carry mine. The M17 has accounted for a larger number of woodchucks, rabbits, raccoons, the occasional squirrel and more dump rats than I can count (showing my age here). It is special to me as it was an engagement gift from my late wife and will go to one of my heirs when I go to join her.

Thanks. I suppose I mean new to me as far as the S&W 17 and 18 goes. I would guess that all the revolvers I have talked about here are more accurate than my shaky hands can take advantage of. When I go to the fun store this week I'll price some new ones.

Boolit Master
    K22 smith and Wesson was the first revolver I shot ,great gun, ruger single six was nice too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast