MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a .22 double action revolver...

Boolit Master

Depends a bit on what you're trying to do with it.

My older 4" 63 is my "go to" for coaching people through various trigger control issues. Being a J-frame, it works for little handed folks that don't have the reach to the trigger or the strength to hold up the "big iron" guns like the 17 / 18 which were built on the K-frame, or the Ruger equivalent GP-100. If I had to replace the 63, I'd do the new SP-101.

The LCR probably makes one hell of a lightweight, walkin' around woods gun. Lighter than I like personally, but that'll depend a little on what you're trying to do.

Charter. . .mmmmmmmm. . .I can't speak to their .22's, but their centerfires have always reminded me of the Marlin Model 60's or entry level Mossberg/Maverick shotguns - the guns that end up in pawn shops by the truckload because the owners couldn't afford even those to begin with, and will probably replace with more of the same down the road. Servicable? Yes. Satisfying? Probably not. Buy once, cry once.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I suppose my use would be meaningful, low cost practice and an accurate side-iron for around the farm. I would say any of them could do that just fine. When I bail out my current layaway prisoner in a month I'll start shopping for real.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Colt Diamondback 4 inch 22

Banned
    Have a High Standard Mk I 9 shooter. Last gasp of HS, SP101 resembles it. Accurate and rugged. Keeping it for now until I can afford a S&W 22 Mag.

Boolit Master
    I did a clean-up and minor repair for a friend
    on his H&R Model 999 Sportsman. (left it in
    his truck in a wet holster for several days)

Heavy and ugly, but super accurate!!

Tried to buy it from him.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I suppose my use would be meaningful, low cost practice and an accurate side-iron for around the farm. I would say any of them could do that just fine. When I bail out my current layaway prisoner in a month I'll start shopping for real.
    I do like my Charter arms Pathfinder 4" it has adj rear sight, it is stainless and i put a dab of white appliance paint on the front sight and it is a nice size it is like a J frame S/W I think.

Boolit Bub
    Sad to say, but CA would not be the best choice. Their procurement dept. leaves something to be desired (springs, etc.) and their reliability is not for someone who wants to shoot more than 1000 rounds, lifetime. I have a Mag Pug, and it is non-serviceable, and CS is non-existent. Plus, all the screws back out after firing a few dozen rounds, no matter what. If one was to add Loctite to those same screws, repair issues would be compromised, because of the strange design.

Boolit Master

I like my S&W M18-2 pinned barrel 4".

Boolit Master
    I have a few S&W 22s, a few Outdoorsman, a few older K22s, few newer ones, old model combat masterpiece (pre model 18), 617 10 shot 4"... They all shoot good but the old Combat Masterpiece is my favorite of the bunch and the one I shoot the most. The 617 is my least favorite. I have a model 41 autoloader that's in another league as far as accuracy goes but just isn't as much "fun" as the Combat Masterpiece.

Boolit Master
    A .22 rf that is not accurate is almost worthless imho. That has made me leery of plunking down a chunk of change on a Smith. Just picked up a Ruger Charger synthetic T.D. and to my relief it is very accurate. Got a brace on it and a 4x Weaver in an Aero mount. Trigger is great too. Just dropped a Tandem Cross trigger in my SW Victory along with a Hive grip and it is finally hitting for me.

Saw a Ruger 4" SP101 the other day at a gunshow and was tempted but I had one in .357 recently that was a lemon and that scared me off. With .22 ammo all over the place again I may pick up a SW 10 shot soon. Or maybe a used SW like you fellows mentioned. I love revolvers.

Boolit Master

for me the 63 is to small for my hands even with Hogue grips (my wife likes it though)
    I have two 617s a older 6" 6 shot and a 4" 10 shot which I prefer the most! the 6" 617 is to front heavy but the old 17 /K22 with a slimmer barrel contour was about right

I have the 3 inch lcrx and love it. I didn’t want a heavy gun, as it seemed unnecessary for a 22. My only complaint is that brass can fall behind the star ejector if you are trying to unload in a hurry.

Not a huge issue to me as now that I am aware of it, I am more deliberate in ejection and the problem went away. No idea on accuracy potential but it will tear up a pop can which is what I use it for.

Colt did not make any crappy 22 LR double action revolvers at any time quite to the contrary.

While I'm into S&W revolvers I don't buy new ones. I only buy the older blue & pinned models. I have not got a bad one yet and I've bought many. I have gotten a few CF S&Ws that weren't that great. In DA 22s either S&W or Colt would be my only choice. Ruger makes a good DA but have never found one that compared to the older S&W or Colts. Buying new Ruger and S&W are probably oranges & oranges.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The K frame guns may be a bit heavy but I will agree with the fellas about the model eighteen . I used to carry one when I was fishing and it was just right . My little brother had a model seventeen with the eight inch barrel and it shot like a pocket rifle , not as handy to get around with though .

It's been a long time since I shot a "J" frame .22 but I think it would boil down to which fit your hand better . The only other maker I think I would trust would be the Colt .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    You know, with all the advances in machining and metallurgy, we really should not be having problems with new SW or Ruger revolvers. But there are more problems than ever. Poorly timed barrels being the most common problem along with rough forcing cones and other annoying flaws. Their quality assurance and control have gone way down hill.

Took my 617 6 inch to the range today and fired some bulk 22lr through it(M22 Winchester). I was getting 2.5 inch groups from a rest at 20 yards with iron sights.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    My experience with revolvers chambered for 22 rimfire is that you occasionally find one that's just right and is very accurate. However, it seems that's .22 rimfire revolvers have to be almost perfect for that to happen. Each and every chamber must be perfectly cut, the forcing cone needs to be tight and perfect, the timing must be spot on, etc. For some reason, and maybe someone can chime in here, rimfire revolvers seem to be a bit more sensitive to these issues.

I've always found it easier to get a .22 pistol to shoot better than a .22 revolver. I'm not saying that .22 revolvers are always inaccurate - I've seen some fantastic .22 revolvers. I'm just saying that finding a .22 revolver that shoots great is more difficult than finding a .22 pistol that shoots great.

That being said, I've seen some great old K-frame S&W .22's that were works of art in terms of accuracy.
    Same experience here. I've found that if you stick to the 6 shot models, you run a higher chance of finding a shooter. I had a smith 617 with the 10 shot cylinder. I had 2 chambers that for whatever reason spit lead. Got tired of it and down the road it went. For a Ruger Mark III Hunter with 5.5" barrel that I still own today. It is my favorite 22 and accompanies me every range trip. I replaced the silly LCI with a block off piece and it functions perfectly.

Banned

i wish i had a good .22 revolver but they're so much of a gamble to get one with all chambers good. this is where a decent pistol is the better buy - and dollar value. but i'm still hoping for a good .22 revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Same experience here. I've found that if you stick to the 6 shot models, you run a higher chance of finding a shooter. I had a smith 617 with the 10 shot cylinder. I had 2 chambers that for whatever reason spit lead. Got tired of it and down the road it went. For a Ruger Mark III Hunter with 5.5" barrel that I still own today. It is my favorite 22 and accompanies me every range trip. I replaced the silly LCI with a block off piece and it functions perfectly.
    Some years ago, S&W made the 10 shot 617 with an aluminum alloy cylinder which were reportedly discontinued due to poor sales and not due to any longevity problems.
    But if someone were to have a problem with any 617 spitting lead for whatever reason, it could have been sent to S&W to be fixed.

To me, it sounds unusual enough for a 10 shot S&W 617 to spit lead that it would seem to indicate that it had a defect that required attention.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast