Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.65×53mm Argentine Mauser

7.65×53mm Argentine Mauser

I have found a 1909 mauser in a local pawn shop it looks to have been sporterized it looks to be in good condition, but is very cheap for a reason , it has no bolt . I do know that changing the bolt the head space will have to be checked which is not an issue . Go and no go gauges can be found and getting a gun smith involved is also not an issue.

My Question is do I need to find a bolt from a 1909 Mauser or can I use a 98 Mauser bolt out of Sarco or the like??

I am wanting to know what I am in to before I buy this one

Boolit Master

any standard length 98 mauser bolt will fit. whether or not it will headspace is another question.

Boolit Buddy
    My German k98 bolt fits in my 7.65 argintine 1909 and dry fires. I have checked measurement between them I have found no difference.

Boolit Master

Great rifles!

Great base for customizations.

Good luck with it!

I just picked up a 1889 Mauser in 7.65x53. (Not nearly as strong as your (98 based action.) Its a early version of the more popular, 1891 Mauser.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Here's how I see it, based on my experience, but others with different experiences may see it differently:

First, Mauser bolts within a certain model have about an 85%-90% chance of head spacing with no issues. Not all, but the big majority. Probably a 1909 bolt will work for you with no problem. It might be more difficult to locate a bolt specifically for a 1909 than, say, a K98, but I'm sure you could turn one up as there are many sources for gun parts.

As for a bolt for a '98 Mauser manufactured in another country working in your rifle, I'd give it a maybe 45% chance. If it will fit properly and does head space, then you'll be o.k., and if it will fit but doesn't head space properly then it most likely can be made to work with some barrel work. But, of course, the overall project becomes more expensive if that is necessary.

I would seek a 1909 bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Great rifles!

Great base for customizations.

Good luck with it!

I just picked up a 1889 Mauser in 7.65x53. (Not nearly as strong as your (98 based action.) Its a early version of the more popular, 1891 Mauser.

CW
    Who manufactured your 1889? Hopkins and Allen made some of them in the United States.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Here's how I see it, based on my experience, but others with different experiences may see it differently:

First, Mauser bolts within a certain model have about an 85%-90% chance of head spacing with no issues. Not all, but the big majority. Probably a 1909 bolt will work for you with no problem. It might be more difficult to locate a bolt specifically for a 1909 than, say, a K98, but I'm sure you could turn one up as there are many sources for gun parts.

As for a bolt for a '98 Mauser manufactured in another country working in your rifle, I'd give it a maybe 45% chance. If it will fit properly and does head space, then you'll be o.k., and if it will fit but doesn't head space properly then it most likely can be made to work with some barrel work. But, of course, the overall project becomes more expensive if that is necessary.

I would seek a 1909 bolt.
    I agree (here comes the but) but if it will be the only 7.65x53mm he will have and the headspace is very close, he could fire form brass specifically for this rifle. I'd go with -06 GI brass cut and formed for it because of the heavier brass and, once converted, nobody would ever confuse it with real -06 cases (7.62x61mm). Start forming with a file and trim die and keep trying the fit until the bolt closes on the case. Don't forget to anneal. I'm not keen on this, but it can work. I have a Model 1910 RB in 7mm. Known for long headspace vs the 7mm Mauser bolt guns, I make the cases from .270 Win brass because I don't have a .270 and have no desire to own one at this late stage of my life.

YMMV.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Grand Master

FYI; The bolts from my M1909 DWM interchanges with the bolt from my F.M.A.P. M1909. The bolts from my VZ24 and Yugo VZ 24/47 also interchange in the M1909 DWM. The bolts from my two other standard length M98s also interchange in the DWM M1909.

As to headspace, it is not nearly as critical in a CRF action as in a push feed as the extractor holds the case back regardless of the actual headspace. Thus fired cases will only fire form. If forming cases from '06 type cases or from 8x57 cases then the cartridge headspace can be adjusted to the chambers headspace whether "in spec" or not. It's basically a non issue unless the headspace turns out too short not allowing milsurp or factory to chamber. If the OP uses neither and forms his own cases then that also is a non issue.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry you are dead on right. A claw extractor will hold the cartridge for the first firing of a case(fire forming it to chamber) and from then on, neck size and you are in business. If worried about that method, another one is to load a standard case with a lead bullet(preferable) and seat it to just kiss the rifling to make sure it is held in place and use a reduced load to fireform the case. Both work and the second one will work for push feed also. At least that is my experience.
    james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Who manufactured your 1889? Hopkins and Allen made some of them in the United States.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Hopkins and Allen right here in Connecticut!!

Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-24-2019 at 08:19 PM.

I am looking at ammo is made by PPU that would give me brass to start with, I am hopping the heads space is right with a new bolt, redoing the chamber would be a pain because it would up the price that would be invested.

Boolit Master
    I was given a sporterized 1909 with no bolt, it had been restocked and D&Ted. I replaced the bolt with a 98, it worked fine and fed properly. The headspace didn't matter at the barrel was a bad sewer pipe and it got rebarreled anyway. I used a Norwegian 98 target barrel in 7.62X51 and was surprised that it headspaced properly, just luck on that one.

Boolit Master
    If you are worried about confusing headstamps, you can also make 7.65 x 53 brass from 270 cases instead of 30-06-- I do this because I don't have anything in 270. The case length of a 7.65 x 53 case comes out in the shoulder of both 30-06 and 270 cases-- so either one works for 7.65 x 53.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Could 7.62X51 NATO cases be sized to work in a 7.65X53 Chamber? I know that the Kortnek 7mm being 4mm too short was a problem for the Boers due to not filling out the chamber neck but if cast Boolits and mild loads are used it shouldn't be a problem.

Boolit Master
    Used some late 50's Israeli 8mm brass to make 7.65x53 mm brass. Started out with a form and trim die not screwed down against the shell holder. So with one case would form it and trim with a hacksaw then lightly file till flush with the die. Chamfer the case mouth. Test fit to the chamber if too tight screwed down the form and trim die a little and try again. When I got to the point where the case would chamber with a little pressure called it good. Loaded up with about 10 grains unique and a 32-20 jacketed bullet to fire form the case. I once tried the same 32-20 bullet with a full powder charge at the range. Bullets were coming apart before they got to the target@100yds. I had explained to the RO what I was doing so got stuck way at the end of the firing line. Some hit the dirt as they came apart. Safe to say they are not designed for high velocities. That was back when Norma was the only game in town for factory brass expensive back then as well as now. Still have about 150 of the Israeli 8mm cases. Now that PPU makes good 8mm brass the brass and dies just gather dust. Frank

Boolit Master

I make my 7.65 brass from mil 30/06 or any non marked boxer 57mm case. The 30-06 is most plentiful.

I prefer no caliber designation as someone else could need to use and I don't want confusion of a wrongly marked caliber.

I anneal first, always. Lately I have been trimming (close) first. But I have made many with a 1" neck too to be trimmed later.

The ones I'll use in my 1889 will be only lead and only light for the respect this ol timer deserves. Your 1909 should handle any published load easily.

I have been lucky to have a few NON reloaders that shoot 7.65 near me as I find it in a few stores on the used rack.

CW

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Could 7.62X51 NATO cases be sized to work in a 7.65X53 Chamber? I know that the Kortnek 7mm being 4mm too short was a problem for the Boers due to not filling out the chamber neck but if cast Boolits and mild loads are used it shouldn't be a problem.
    Not really. When FL sized in a 7.65 die the 7.62x51 cases shoulder is about .150 back. Even if fire formed the neck would still be only about half the length of the already short 7.65 neck. If you don't want to form the cases from '06 length based cases then using commercial boxer primed 8x57 cases works quite well. they can simply be run into a 7.65 FL die and then minimally trimmed to length. No cutting off of excess brass, neck turn/reaming or annealing is necessary.

Commercial Norma brass is sometimes available but it is more expensive than Winchester or R-P brass. I've also converted some Argentine Berdan primed cases to take boxer SR primers. Those cases are holding up well.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

In Remembrance

Guess I was lucky by falling into a deal that had 5 factory loaded ammo boxes of 7.65 and a bag of 100 unfired norma brass. No problem with the headstamp being different.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, you were lucky.....
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    one other thing make shore it is 7.63. some were imported and sporterized and also reamed to .30-06. they will shoot hat size groups at best. my father had one if I reloaded with .311 bullets it was a real shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast