Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Lee REAL Performance

Boolit Master

Lee REAL Performance

For lead bullets, especially those traveling at a slower speed, I’ve always felt the wide meplat was far superior. Of course soft lead can readily expand, but with a wide meplat even if it doesn’t you’ll still create a nice large permanent wound channel.

The REAL has a small prominent meplat but has a wide tapering nose. I’ve typically read of people claiming excellent results on game, and quite frankly a nearly .52 cal bullet isn’t small, though initially I figured I’d use the 320 grn version if I were given a chance at something large such as elk, but quite frankly, with a .49 cal ball having such a poor BC, I’d likely use it or the 250 grn version I have (assuming I find accurate loads) on breezy days.

I’ve read of the great results numbers of people have had paper patching the Lee .500 pistol bullet and some who also like the various wide meplat conicals, and so I’ve been reconsidering what I’d really like to use, especially on something large like elk.

I’m curious what those who have used any of the REALs have personally seen as far as wound channel, deformation, performance on game, as well as accurate powder charges (granulation, brand, volume/weight) in either the lighter or heavier in a 1:48” twist.

Boolit Master
    Put this 250gr pure lead one into a doe, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20181101_101226.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	234605 it was straight at me i put it in the windpipe and it stopped under the skin right after breaking the rear most rib on its back. Not super into muzzloaders so i can just say it was an average cheap inline with 90gr of pyrodex. Im guessing maybe 1400fps, It dropped where it was. It damged the neck enough that we tossed it, after that the wounding was fine but not over the top from slowing a bit in the neck. Cant say much for accuracy cause i knew the gun was sighted in for similar weight so i just took it out as is but my grandfather shot a grup with them and said they were fine didnt see it though.

Banned
    250gr REAL at around 50 yards with 80gr 3fg ( I think! Its been a long year lol ) Dropped on the spot.

70gr 3fg .490 round ball. Both projectiles do an excellent job on elk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    250gr REAL at around 50 yards with 80gr 3fg ( I think! Its been a long year lol ) Dropped on the spot.

What was the distance on that bull?

What brand of powder were you using? Seems I often read of you using Pyrodex.

The picture of the vitals is of that bull, right? That hole looks huge!

Banned
    Goex on the bull, Pyrodex P ( I THINK ) on the cow with a real bullet and lubed felt wad. The bull was maybe 30 yards at most. Vital pictures are of the bull yes. The round ball I find leaves a huge entrance hole and the exit is normally the diameter the ball expands to by the time it hits the other side.

Entrance from that lil round ball,

exit,

Boolit Master
    Goex on the bull, Pyrodex P ( I THINK ) on the cow with a real bullet and lubed felt wad. The bull was maybe 30 yards at most. Vital pictures are of the bull yes. The round ball I find leaves a huge entrance hole and the exit is normally the diameter the ball expands to by the time it hits the other side.

Entrance from that lil round ball,

exit,
    That sure is a nasty entrance hole! Looks roughly twice the diameter. I must admit I’m a bit curious why the entrance is so much larger. Seems at such a short distance and with the ball no doubt clipping along at a nice pace that it would have expanded and the reverse would have been seen (caliber entry and larger exit).

Thanks for sharing!

Banned
    I first noticed it on a couple hogs i shot a couple years ago. huge entrance holes smaller exit. I can't explain it other than maybe because the ball has most of its energy when it strikes, then slows down enough to leave a smaller exit.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting. Can’t say I’ve heard of this by others, and I’ve yet to finish work on my own to see for myself.

Boolit Mold
    In regards to accuracy, here are some photos, they were shot out of a rossi matched pair 50 cal barrel, the twist rate is faster then the 1in 48 you mentioned. They are 250 grain lee real bullets, alloy was lyman number 2, they were unsized and no lubed, a felt lubricated wad was used on top of 100 grains of pyrodex pellets, the large group smaller diameter were 44 cast bullets in a sabot, the large holes all touching are the 250 grain real. Sabots were shot before hand, followed by 15 or so real bullets. That group is from the last shots fired. No signs of leading, clean up was nice quick and easy. I got powder on sale at walmart and was dying to use it. Shooting was done today, weather was bad, snow and cold. Barrel was not swabbed between shots. Loading was not at all easy, a little Crisco may help. Smaller hole next to the larger group is from a sabot round, as are the bottom holes.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190127_154451_resized.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	234778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190127_165356_resized.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	234779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190127_165537_resized.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	234780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190127_171152_resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	234781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190127_171554_resized.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	234782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190127_171537_resized.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	234783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190127_171105_resized.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	234784

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had great accuracy from REAL's. Everything I've shot dropped either DRT or within a few yards.

What is the twist rate of the rifle you used?

Banned
    Both are 1:48 twist.