Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Remington #6 Rolling block ?

Boolit Mold

Remington #6 Rolling block ?

I have a couple of Remington # 6 rolling blocks that I picked up at a good price. Both are in typical condition; not much original finish on them but in shooting condition. 1 has a broken buttstock wood is beat on them. I am going to restore them for the sake of a fun project.
    A friend and I have been having good success color case hardening the receivers and polishing out as many pits as possible and bluing the rest of these older rifles. Having done a few #4 rolling blocks and a couple Hopkins & Allen 922’s and a few Stevens Favorites. We are getting good results and thought these would be up next.
    How are these receivers put together? I know they are laminated together and held with cross pins / rivets. I am worried that they are silver brazed together and would come out of the crucible in pieces. I also know the original finish was color case, probably cyanide salt method.
    Does anyone know if they are only mechanically held together or brazed? I am not overly concerned warping as I will build a fixture to hold them straight as I have with all the other guns. I am mainly worried of melting out some sort of braze or solder that will not take the 1350 degree heat soak.
    If someone knew for certain they are brazed and pinned together I will not try it. If not I will give it a go anyway and maybe have to learn how to braze one back together if it does not go well.
    Thanks in advance,
    Lou

Even though Remington labelled them "rolling block", in truth there's no breechblock that rotates on an axle like true RB's.

It's properly a swinging or dropping block, with a pivot point ahead of the rear of the chamber (falling block breechblocks move nearly vertically, behind the rear of the barrel.

IDK if the receiver is a casting or a forging, but would point out that they were "economy" Boy's Rifles, made as cheaply as possible.

IIRC, the Improved Model 6 was very different from the Standard Model 6.

Last edited by pietro; 01-24-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Receivers on the #6 are held together with 8 rivets, no solder or brazing. They can be case hardened just fine. The #6 is technically a "pivoting block" action.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the help. I am moving forward with this color case project. I have found out they are only held together by rivits.

I understand how the different actions operate and the strengths/weekness of them. They are called #6 Rolling Blocks by Remington. I used that name in the title so everyone would know which firearm I was asking a question about. This action is strong enough for standard velocity .22 amunition. I am keeping it a .22 LR that it is chambered for, I am just making it look nicer. I am using these rifles to gain experience in firearms restoration. They were bought at a pricepoint where I can afford to learn on. If I make mistakes along the way I am not out a lot of money.
    The plan is to polish, color case, rust blue, refinish the wood.

You may want to test fire some 22 LR in it before you proceed. Many times shorts were fired with corrosive ammo and the chamber has a slight ring in it. When firing a long or LR, they swell and stick. Ask me how I know.

Boolit Mold
    Just wanted to post results because I requested help.
    If this worked correctly I have attached a picture of the first of the two #6 rolling blocks I was discussing. We have had better colors on some of the other projects we have done, but these are acceptable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rolling 6 color (2).jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	238261

Well done, Pilgrim.....

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Well done, that looks great.

Boolit Master
    A No.6 was brought to me with the grip end of the butt oil perished away. It had a much longer grip section than the rifle pictured. I trimmed the remaining wood back till I found solid wood and remounted the butt. Removed perhaps an inch of rotted wood. When finished it looked like the above picture.
    I suppose some butt stocks were longer than others when new, and probably many were shortened in the same manner for use by smaller boys.

The barrel steel was very soft and had been ringed badly in a dozen places, the owner said he had shot mud daubers nests out of the bore many times, but it still shot pretty well.