Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redding T7 vs Lyman All American turret press

Boolit Man

Redding T7 vs Lyman All American turret press

Hi guys,

Just wanted your opinion which is better among these two turret presses - Redding T7 or Lyman All American.

I plan to load pistol (40SW, 45 colt, 454 casull, 500 SW) and rifle (308 win, 300 win mag, 45-70, 44 marlin). Which has better leverage, ram support and priming system ? Which press produces more accurate 308 win?

Thank you for your invaluable answers !!

Boolit Master
    I can't answer the question as it's posed. I never owned the Lyman press. I do own the Redding T7 though, and I can tell you that after having it for around five years now I can't find a single thing about it I don't like. I ended up using it about 90% of the time after I quit shooting handgun competition and my Dillons just ended up taking up room on the bench. My RCBS Rockchucker didn't offer anything compared to the turret, so I gave it away. Now I just use the Redding and I can load as many cartridges as I want/need with relative ease. I like to spend a lot of time at the bench trying different loads and I've found that I can make up a lot of different combinations without a lot of fuss with the Redding. I'd give it two thumbs up, but I'm sure someone with the Lyman will do the same for theirs. One more thing: I just received a new turret head for the Redding this week and I now have five different calibers all set to go on two heads. It takes just seconds to change turret heads with the dies still on them.

Boolit Master
    While I don’t own a T-7, my late brother did, so I have some experience with it. I also own 2 All Americans.

The smaller aluminum AA press is built like a tank and will load all that you listed. However, the T-7 will do it easier, faster, and with less effort. Think of it as a straight 6 cylinder engine vs. a V-8. You will especially appreciate the T-7 when sizing those larger cases, and even more so if you full length size the 308.

For priming, the Redding is safer due to the blast shield tube. The AA only uses a brass primer tube, which is why I never used their primer system. Reloading can be like dealing with a wild animal, no problems at all until something unusual or freaky happens and you get bit, regardless of precautions.

The only advantages I see for the AA in your case would be if you are looking for smaller, lighter, table top press that is less cost as well.

The T-7 is a knee knocker like most presses, but that can be easily remedied by adding a riser.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve got an old All American for pistols, but if I’m going to do any FL sizing of rifle cases, etc, you’ll find me at a single stage like my RCBS or a recently acquired Herter’s Super U.

Froggie

PS. The only downside (other than size and strength as mentioned) I find with the AA is that it uses the long discontinued J-type shellholder or must have an adaptor.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Do you mean the newer Lyman All American 8?

I have had both side by side and made a video on YouTube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HyWtIKVJSE&t=84s.

If you want to prime on the press get the Redding.

If you prime off the press then the Lyman is a decent press and probably half the cost with discounting. The included priming system on the Lyman is junk.

The Redding is the better press with a proven track record. The Lyman has only been around a short time so no-one knows how long they will hold up.

Boolit Grand Master
    I didn’t realize Lyman had resurrected their old All American name for a new press. If that’s the one you’re asking about, ignore my answer. It applies to the original, 50+ year old AA.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Redding T7 vs Lyman All American turret press

Quote Originally Posted by CamoWhamo View Post
    Do you mean the newer Lyman All American 8?
    Well hush my mouth! I didn’t realize that Lyman was calling the new Turret press the All American. From earlier press releases I just thought it was the Brass Smith. Turns out, Brass Smith is the new LINE of reloading gear. Thanks CamoWamo!

Just goes to show how valuable pictures are to every thread.

Old School All American

Redding T-7
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Dillon 550. JK

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I have two Dillon 550s and a T-7 with three tool heads and covers my reloading 4 pistol calibers and 6 rifles from 9mm to 45-70. I have had others but sold them all as what I have now suits my needs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well hush my mouth! I somehow managed to miss out on this new AA. It looks like a real beast compared to its titular forebear. I've never understood the need for an ultra heavy turret press, because it's still a turret press with the shortcomings they all have by design, but if the average loader wanted one press that could do almost everything, this might work. I guess I still lean toward a really heavy duty single stage press for all purposes, but if I did feel the need for one turret press that could do everything I'd be likely to want, I guess this would be a likely candidate. I need to think about it more over another cup of coffee.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-25-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Let's see; Lyman/Ideal has been serving the shooter since the mid-to late 1800s, Redding started up about 100 years later as a specialty operation. Mossberg started out building four barrel handguns in the early 1900s, CZ started out building typewriters in the early 1930s and then moved to guns later in that decade. Just what are we comparing here???

Green Frog

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I just want to know how much the turrets deflect under a representative load. I have my suspicions concerning the critical stress point on the Lyman.

That said, I believe the Lyman Wil do yeoman duty for 99% of the reloaders out there.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    Hamish, I believe we are “on the same page.” That’s why in my posts I go back to the idea of a good, heavy single stage press as a basic need for the high pressure processes. I can’t imagine any turret press with no deflection, and with enough stress, C-type presses will deflect too. I now own a half dozen or so bench presses for metallic cartridges, but if I had to contract my operations, the first thing on the bench would be a good O-frame single stage, then a good turret... probably my old All American, but if I were starting from scratch, I’d certainly look at the new AA, as well as the offerings from RCBS and Redding, among others.

Froggie

I've owned the T-7 press for several years now and have never witnessed a problem with deflection. There are dies out there that come with the warning "Not for use on turret presses" I contacted Redding and ask their representative about there use on the T-7. He said, Redding stands behind the T-7 for use with any die and that if I could show an instance where the T-7 caused problems because of deflection my money would be refunded. I've happily used it said dies since without any problems I can detect. The Lyman (I don't own one) looks like a press that would serve better with handgun rounds. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    WHAT dies are so marked ? Even Tubbs uses a multi station press.
    Bushing style neck dies "The use of this die is NOT recommended in turret type or progressive multi-station presses." Gp

AndyB1:If you're looking for some sort of argument from me, well it ain't happening. I've stated that Redding stands 100% behind their T-7 press with any die and have quoted you their warning as to the use of their bushing neck dies in turret or progressive presses. I still believe that it would be a good idea not to use the bushing dies in lesser presses as some just aren't very ridged and COULD cause problems with deflection. Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I just want to know how much the turrets deflect under a representative load. I have my suspicions concerning the critical stress point on the Lyman.

That said, I believe the Lyman Wil do yeoman duty for 99% of the reloaders out there.
    I have same question... Looks to be more solid than the MAG TURRET I sold off some years back because the head flexed WAY too much.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Traditional turret presses retrain the turrets with some center mounted pivot/post. IF there was no slack in that mounting the turret could not rotate; that means all conventional turret presses (* Note below) have more springing than non-turret presses. Torquing down hard on the attachment can take out the slack but then we are left with a funny looking single stage! So, IF we want the function of a turret press there is a small price to be paid. The question becomes "What is most important to us, easier to make or slightly better ammo?"

Note:

[Lee's turret system has an entirely different head retaining design. It's quite effective in reducing press spring while making swaps very easy, fast and inexpensive -- swaps get done in a few seconds and without tools! IF I wanted another turret press (I don't) Lee's Classic Turret is the only current design I would consider.]

Boolit Master
    Personally, I'd like to see some data proving that a SS vs a Turret argument is valid in regard to the quality of product. Aol variation, concentricity etc. Perception and reality can be deceiving
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

I ordered the Lyman couple days ago.

Only neg I read is priming. I dont prime on the press so I made the leap. I should have next week.

Good luck with your choice, I dont really think you will go wrong either way.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast