RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wait time from casting to coating

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    If you don't use a quality thermometer like the glass Taylor Oven Guide or something better, to monitor your oven then you don't have a clue as to your oven's temperature. Temperature is critical to do a proper cure and to preheat.
    Since I learned PC from professionals (not bullets), I have always monitored my PC process and preheat without worry.
    I 2nd that Dragonheart. Before I bought a decent thermometer, my 400 degree setting on my oven was actually putting out closer to 440 degrees!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    Interesting. I bought come cheap BBQ thermometers that I add to the toaster ovens. Then compare them to the toaster oven and also check against a couple of non attatched thermometer. If I get 4 or 5 readings all the same I settle for that since what are the chances that they will all deviate the same way.
    The toaster oven that I use now settles into a very consistent 380 when set on 380 after about 1.5 heating cycles. I figure that is because the thermocouple switch is in the side and not in the actual oven chamber. Causing a delay of a few minutes until it reaches a stable temp. Then it is amazingly accurate for a cheepo unit. Of course this does not give me the actual temp of the bullets as they soak and release heat at a different rate.
    I would envision the problem of using still warm bullets from casting would be to do everything in that time when they are at the right temp. That's the main reason I haven't tried it. It would however allow a person to pc the bullets before much oxidation or contamination could get on them. But oxidation does not seem to be a problem with pc-ing lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12