Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone check out the new 300 win legand round?

Banned

anyone check out the new 300 win legand round?

With a 125-158 grain bullet it would shoot as flat as a bo and hit much harder. Ive been playing a lot lately with the BO. Its a cool little round but you have to be very selective in bullet choices for hunting deer sized game. this one would take care of business even with cast bullets. Yes a guy could say that so would a 450 bush 458 socom or 50 beo. I shoot the beo myself and love it but could see the use for something that was a little bit less for deer. I could see myself getting an 8.5 inch braced ar pistol chambered for it for whitetail hunting. Looks like its a straighten out 556 case but didn't really say what the case was based on and if you could make brass or would have to buy it. that's one thing I like about the BO. I can easily make brass out of about free 5.56 brass. Couple other advantages I can see is even if you didn't cast you could buy cheap bulk pistol bullets to plink with and it would really excel if you wanted to actually hunt subsonic as a 180-200 grain jacketed hp or soft nose pistol bullet at 1100 fps would be a much better subsonic deer killer then anything subsonic out of the bo. Heck you could probably even shoot 180 cast lfns at 1100 and kill deer just fine. If its based on a straightened out 5.56 case and fits in an ar15 sign me up.

It sounds like the .300 Hamr? I think as much .223 case and a .30 cal bullet as you can fit in an AR mag would improve on the BO- especially with a slower twist for boolits- sign me up as well! I see Win has a variation of the .357 AR coming out as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Edit: I’m assuming you’re talking about the 350 Legend.

It’s a slightly lengthened 357 AR which has been around for a long time. Moleman has an extensive thread about its development here as well as other forums. The 350 legend has a slightly longer case and uses .355 bullets instead of .357. This leads to less good bullet options, at the moment, for the 350 Legend. Pistol bullets aren’t going to be the greatest choice at 2200 fps.

This “new cartridge” shows how nothing new is new and what’s old is new when it comes to cartridges. It’s sort of along the lines of 300 Whisper and 300 BLK.

Here is the thread about the 357 AR:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Rimless)-AR15
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 01-23-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Boolit Master

Kinda excited about the 350 Legend!!

I have been following Molemans progress for a couple years. ALMOST jumped in couple years ago but built a 25/45 instead.

I think I'll grab one of these or at very least build one!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

350 legend, decent idea but IMO the .355 bullets are going to be what keeps it from being a good seller.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    350 legend, decent idea but IMO the .355 bullets are going to be what keeps it from being a good seller.
    This won’t be an issue at all. It’s for people that live in areas w/ straight wall restrictions for hunting. People want less recoil then 450 Bushmaster. Reloaders are a very small percentage of the general gun population. They want to be able to buy ammo off the shelf.

If they don’t have bullets designed to handle the velocity which leads to lost game that will kill the cartridge quicker than anything else. Not saying that it will be around forever. But I see it selling well. Maybe this will be a 35 caliber round that actually takes off in the US. The 450 Bushmaster was a niche cartridge until Ruger chambered on of their American rifles for it. It’s sold extremely well for them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This won’t be an issue at all. It’s for people that live in areas w/ straight wall restrictions for hunting. People want less recoil then 450 Bushmaster. Reloaders are a very small percentage of the general gun population. They want to be able to buy ammo off the shelf.

If they don’t have bullets designed to handle the velocity which leads to lost game that will kill the cartridge quicker than anything else. Not saying that it will be around forever. But I see it selling well. Maybe this will be a 35 caliber round that actually takes off in the US. The 450 Bushmaster was a niche cartridge until Ruger chambered on of their American rifles for it. It’s sold extremely well for them.
    i agree, never say never. im all for more choices.

I predict the .350 Legend will be touted as a .35 Rem equivalent in an AR15.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I haven't heard if the bore for this is 355 or 357, but considering it's Winchester (Olin manufacturing) they will probably make good bullets for it. I personally think its about time someone started supporting 35 cal stuff for rifles. I think I'll probably be looking at 350 legend pretty close if it truly is made from 223 basic brass. Gotta wait and see though.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    Winchesters site says it is a 357 diameter...

That Ginger yahoo reporting from NRA may have just mistakenly said .355. Unsure why the Win rep standing next to him would not correct him... I see it reported as both .355 & .357.. one article actually listed dia as .355/.357!!

I read DO NOT see Winchester making THAT mistake. This caliber are targeted directly at the new market of straight walled hunting bullets/ammo. Some of these states (Ohio) specifically say .357 or larger.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-23-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

ya my mistake its a 350 legend not a 300

Banned

don't understand the worry. Ive shot 357 and 358 bullets all the time in 9mms. Worse case scenario you spray on some one shot and run them through a lee die but that's something ive never found necessary. now if it were a 359 or 360 id say they messed up. My real guess is its made to run 357 pistol bullets and that's why they claimed 357 for a size. Is it new? Sure it is. What factory chambering for an ar is even remotely like it. Maybe not new for the wildcatters but keep in mind everyone isn't a wildcatter. Im sure someone said the 2506 and the 243 were nothing new when they were first introduced. Now nothing new is a 6.5 round that everyone goes ga ga over that isn't spit different then the 6.5 sweed. About the only downside I can see to it is youd about have to fire form 556 brass as opening them up from 556 to 35 cal would take quite a few steps. But even 300 bo brass is getting pretty easy to find and if this takes off im sure brass will be out there in a couple years. It should take nothing but a barrel swap to have one and who could argue that its not going to be superior to the bo for actually deer hunting and they seem to sell pretty good. Sure its just a 35ar. But I don't have a lathe and reamer to make one of those. 150 dollar barrel makes more sense then even buying a blank finding a reamer and finish reamer and paying a machinist to do it. For what it would cost a guy could probably buy a complete upper.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-23-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Lloyd, I suggest you read the 357 AR thread as case conversion is covered. It’s a straight forward process. All you need is a 35 cal expander for the case body. If forming from 5.56 you’d want to expand the neck in a few steps. After expansion you ream necks, final trim and you’re good to go. Fire forming didn’t work so well according to guys that did all the development work. I’m completely new to the round. But I have made brass. Both from 223 basic and 5.56. The basic is the way to go unless you’re cost conscious. While the conversion isn’t like making 358 Winchester from 308. It’s still an easy process.

As far as barrels go you can buy them from MDWS. They’re currently 20% off. Not sure how many they have left. My point is the 357 AR is an easy conversion for anyone. No special tooling needed beyond a case reamer. Or neck turner if you wanted to go that route.

350 Legend conversion barrels are still out at lest a few months unless you wanted to order a reamer and make your own.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    don't understand the worry. Ive shot 357 and 358 bullets all the time in 9mms. Worse case scenario you spray on some one shot and run them through a lee die but that's something ive never found necessary. now if it were a 359 or 360 id say they messed up. My real guess is its made to run 357 pistol bullets and that's why they claimed 357 for a size. Is it new? Sure it is. What factory chambering for an ar is even remotely like it. Maybe not new for the wildcatters but keep in mind everyone isn't a wildcatter. Im sure someone said the 2506 and the 243 were nothing new when they were first introduced. Now nothing new is a 6.5 round that everyone goes ga ga over that isn't spit different then the 6.5 sweed. About the only downside I can see to it is youd about have to fire form 556 brass as opening them up from 556 to 35 cal would take quite a few steps. But even 300 bo brass is getting pretty easy to find and if this takes off im sure brass will be out there in a couple years. It should take nothing but a barrel swap to have one and who could argue that its not going to be superior to the bo for actually deer hunting and they seem to sell pretty good. Sure its just a 35ar. But I don't have a lathe and reamer to make one of those. 150 dollar barrel makes more sense then even buying a blank finding a reamer and finish reamer and paying a machinist to do it. For what it would cost a guy could probably buy a complete upper.
    Agree Lloyd,

I have a lathe but still need to buy a reamer if I want the .35AR. And there is a advantage in having a factory supported cartridge. Here is some data I found:

Approximately 20 percent less recoil than .243 Win.
    20 percent more penetration than .243 Win.
    Less recoil than 450 Bushmaster
    Uses a modified, straight-walled .223 Rem. shell case and a .357-inch bullet
    The 350 Legend round is initially offered in six variations:
    Deer Season XP - 150-grain Extreme Point
    Super X - 180-grain Power-Point
    Hog Special - 180-grain Power-Point
    USA White Box - 145-grain FMJ Flat Nose
    Power Max Bonded - 160-grain Bonded JHP
    Super Suppressed - 265-grain Open Tip

It should be an easier round to get acceptable accuracy using cast and being straight wall, I suspect carbide dies will be available.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting this at work but could not say anything about it. I'm friends with the guy that worked on the development. Not my job but I did get to shoot several mags during testing. There was a bolt gun also. This would be really nice with a 1/10 twist in a bolt for cast.

Sammi was sent 1/16 but not sure where it's headed.

The 35 Rem automatic is exactly what I said.

Why would you need a 1:10 twist? You get 1.54 stability factor with NOE's 310gr "thumper" at 1050fps at sea level at 0˚F with a bog standard 16" twist. Makes no sense to me.

Personally, I still haven't warmed up to the idea of a "Modern" sporting rifle so I have no use for Winchester's 9mm whatever. I'm happy that we're so spoiled for choices in this country.

Boolit Master

I've actually been thinking about a 35 caliber AR round for my next upper. Looked up barrels even. I'm happy there is now a SAAMI cartridge that is very similar to what I was looking for. Basically what I was looking at was a rimless 357 Max, this is just a tad longer.

Banned

Lloyd, I suggest you read the 357 AR thread as case conversion is covered. It’s a straight forward process. All you need is a 35 cal expander for the case body. If forming from 5.56 you’d want to expand the neck in a few steps. After expansion you ream necks, final trim and you’re good to go. Fire forming didn’t work so well according to guys that did all the development work. I’m completely new to the round. But I have made brass. Both from 223 basic and 5.56. The basic is the way to go unless you’re cost conscious. While the conversion isn’t like making 358 Winchester from 308. It’s still an easy process.

As far as barrels go you can buy them from MDWS. They’re currently 20% off. Not sure how many they have left. My point is the 357 AR is an easy conversion for anyone. No special tooling needed beyond a case reamer. Or neck turner if you wanted to go that route.

350 Legend conversion barrels are still out at lest a few months unless you wanted to order a reamer and make your own.
    Why is it necessary to ream necks. I would think that opening up 22 cal to 35 cal would result in thinner necks not thicker.

Banned

I looked and they are out of 357ar barrels and at over 300 bucks for a barrel ill pass. I can wait a bit till the 350 win is a bit more established and buy a whole complete upper with a bolt for under that price. I can get moa accuracy out of a psa upper with some load development and that's plenty good for any whitetail hunting. Sorry but im not paying 300 bucks for any ar barrel. Don't want or need one that bad.

Boolit Master
    I like the idea of a 10.5" braced AR pistol in this caliber too. Have to see how the industry receives this new cartridge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast