RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR question - Calibers?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

AR question - Calibers?

Hey all.

Considering getting one+ AR's (again) - Last one I had was just 5.56; If you were going to get say 2-4 different lowers, in what calibers would you get uppers for them?

Probably mostly will try varminting with these as that's sorta my thing, at various ranges. Pretty long ranges would be nice.

I've considered of course 5.56, maybe 300 BO for closer in varmints using CBs; for varminting what else would you think would be good?

Current plans are not to move to an area where there are wild hogs, so I don't know if I need a large caliber or not... Probably Montana if all goes well.

Most other niches are covered, just scratching my head and thinking on what I need / want & thought you folks might have ideas.

I'll probably plink etc. somewhat too, of course

Thanks!

Banned

556 obviously. A 9mm would defineately be next on my list, king of the plinking ars! I shoot my two 9s more then all the rest put together and it also makes a great home defense **** gun. maybe a big bore like a 450 458 or 50 beo. 300bo is a winner. Maybe the 6.5 Grendel and im looking hard at the new 350 Winchester.

One of my favorites is 17 Remington and the others that I have is 6.8 SPC, 223 Wylde, 6.5 Grendel, 300 BO, 7.62x39, and 308 win

Boolit Master

6.5 Grendel and .277 Wolverine but I am biased. I would go with 7.62x39 before i would go with 300 BO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

BUNCH of GREAT calibers!!

For vermin and ease of fodder the 223/556 is probably your best bet.

But know and beware, upper swaps are easy as opening the wallet, pressing and de-pressing two pins... So know you might just own a few in a few years...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

I like three. The original, really versatile, and the 300 BO and the 458 SOCOM. All three use unmodified AR mags.
    My mags are color coded so there will not be any surprises. I get why there is a continious push to replace the 300 BO, but I really like it best of all. With 120 grain +/- bullets it will smoke medium game and Goblins. Waiting for a 230 grain 300 BO group buy mold from Mihec with a serious hollowpoint. That will be nice as I like big subsonic bullets. The beauty of the 300 BO is the ability to shoot 90 to 250 grain bullets, supersonic to subsonic, and do it well/cycle the gun.
    The .458 SOCOM will also do supersonic and subsonic with 250 to 600 grain bullets, and do it well. It is a hammer and plug and play, unlike other big bore options.
    I am set with these three. There are so many choices, that is the beauty of the AR15. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Boolit Master

300BO ; 5.56 ; and now I'm smitten by the prospect of the 357AR.

Boolit Grand Master

Calibers? Let’s see, 22, 25, 30, 35, 45, 50 and w/ all the wildcat cartridges you can pretty much fill in every other caliber I didn’t list.

Go big or go home. The .458 Socom is a barrel change (and maybe some ejection port relief or get a special upper from Anderson) away from giving you a serious thumper in a lightweight AR platform.

I have several 5.56 ARs, a 6.5 Grendel 12.5" pistol upper, an 8.5" .300BLK that I love, and then there's the .458.

Boolit Master

i have 223/223wylde/5.56, and 300Ham'r. if i felt the need for bigger in a AR15 without going up in size to an AR10, id probably lean towards the 450bushmaster. in reality, there are a ton of cartridges that fit the AR platform, pick something that meets your needs/criteria, and run with it.

223 wylde (chamber) for general principal, 300 Blackout is fun, 6.8 spc makes a good hunting round.

There are some nice wildcats out there too. I've been watching the 10 mm AR Mag with interest. I'm hoping they get it worked out soon.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Super Moderator

My choices are: 5.56mm, 300BO, 6.8SPC, and 450 Bushmaster. This demonstrates the versatility and utility of the AR platform.

Boolit Master
    I own 5.56, 6.8 SPCII, 458 SOCOM going to add a 338 Specter or a 375 SOCOM

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    223 wylde (chamber) for general principal, 300 Blackout is fun, 6.8 spc makes a good hunting round.

There are some nice wildcats out there too. I've been watching the 10 mm AR Mag with interest. I'm hoping they get it worked out soon.
    I agree! I also like what I am seeing with this 350 Legend!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    AR's are like crack. I have waaay too many. 5.56 and 7.62x39 get used the most, but I really like my Grendel. The 25-45 Sharps is fun too. Got the 458 and a 450 BM for thumping stuff. Just getting started with the 30 American. Hey, if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If AR magazines were longer I'd see about a 7mm TCU AR, but I'd definitely have to seat the bullets rather deeply for those to work in an AR!

Banned

"Hey, if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing."

That is funny. I like it.

Boolit Buddy
    My son has:
    22 LR, 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.

I have a couple of friends who really like their 224 Valkyries.
    Looks like it would be a great long range varmint cartridge.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Man
    Count me as another 6.5 Grendel fan. Great long range caliber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast