MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Marbles Peep with Uberti 1873 Question

Boolit Master

Marbles Peep with Uberti 1873 Question

I was hoping someone could suggest a solution for me.

I have a tang sight to install on my 1873.
    The instructions state to sight the rifle in at 100 yards and then set the tang sight to the middle of its adjustment (85 clicks) and line up with your front and rear sights. Now drill and tap.
    This gives you about 42 clicks up or down. Each click being about 1/4” at 100 yards per their website.
    42 clicks is about 10 MOA which seems ok for 100 yard work but I really like reaching out with this rifle.
    I like to shoot 200, 300 and I would like to try for the 500 yard steel at my club.
    Would I be better served setting the tang sight at its lowest (or close to) setting with my irons set to 100 yards?
    Giving myself say 70 or so clicks to play with?

Also I really like mixing it up with 38s and 357s.

Looking at some ballistic charts with a 100 yard zero seems like this small post doesn’t give me much room to get beyond 200 yards or so with 357 and less for 38 special.

Maybe I’ve answered my own question.

What would you do? Switch to a taller post? Use the peep for close up detail work with the 38 special and use the buckhorn for the long range steel plinking? Vice versa?

I can hit he 200 yard steel regularly with the buckhorns so putting a peep on for that close work doesn’t seem to make sense
    I can only hunt coyote with that rifle in my state and if I hunter deer in a local state I wouldn’t be taking shots past 100 yards with a 357 at which distance I’m comfortable using the buckhorns.

What would you do?

Be careful about getting the sight too close to the hammer. Open the lever to make sure you have clearance before drilling holes. There is always a tradeoff between handiness and long-range capability when it comes to tang sights.

If I had to drill and tap holes I would not consider anything other than a Montana Vintage Arms base. You can use one their myraid of different sights using just one base, they are not cheap but the best available and worth it. Shooting a .357 out to 500 yds might be bit of a challenge with a pistol bullet.
    As fourarmed said you have to be careful with hammer clearance you will also have to remove the rear barrel sight if equipped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0002.jpg  
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 01-25-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys

I think I'm just going to sell this sight off and go whit he buckhorn for now.
    If i decide to go peep I will go with a MVA or Lee Shaver type sight.

I shoot out to 300 with the buckhorn as is and though I have to hold some of the front sight up, it's a lot less that I thought it would be.
    My 357 mag loads are running almost 1700 FPS out of the 20" barrel.

Thanks guys!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    If I had to drill and tap holes I would not consider anything other than a Montana Vintage Arms base. You can use one their myraid of different sights using just one base, they are not cheap but the best available and worth it. Shooting a .357 out to 500 yds might be bit of a challenge with a pistol bullet.
    As fourarmed said you have to be careful with hammer clearance you will also have to remove the rear barrel sight if equipped.
    WOW! That is a nice piece of wood on that lever rifle Randy!