Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Martini Coming to 2019 S.H.O.T.

Perhaps I could afford the action.

Banned

I would think .32-40 and .38-55 would be sellers in a rifle like this.

Boolit Master

I'd like to see better detail on the peep sight.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I don't see the pricing at all out of line for a modern, Made in USA rifle. I really like the idea of a 6-pound single-shot walking gun in an assortment of mild, woods-walking calbers suitable for cast bullets. Agree that a .357 Magnum with 24" barrel would be good to add to the mix. With factory .38 wadcutters you would get about 900 fps from a 24" barrel, producing a mild, low report small game and varmint gun, little louder than a .22 LR. If loaded down further using a flush-seated 148-grain lead HBWC and about 2 grains of Bullseye or Titegroup it would be almost silent, about 700 fps from a 24" barrel but would not needing a "can."

With full charge .357 Magnum 158-grain ammo you would get about 1800-1850 fps from a 24" barrel, which makes an effective woods deer load within 100 yards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    The gun has the Francotte action ,but not the reduced grip.........still with all the faults for modern use that Martinis have always had.........I dont see them taking off........Just my 2c.

Banned
    Pretty pricey.

What happened to the post stating the price? It's gone.

Oh well, too pricey.

Boolit Master
    Very nice to see someone bring back a classic. The price is about what I would expect from a quality reproduction, think Sharps and Hi Walls. I wish them the best, but what would part me from my money would be a small frame in 327Federal at about 5 lbs. My No1s satisfy the calibers currently offered.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Yeah,who d want to make guns.....everyone wants something different............price was quoted as 1699.00+....and the ghost is still there.............action is claimed to be midsize,not large enough for 45/70.

Banned

What happened to all the posts from the guy who is making these and seeking feedback?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Ouch!! A bit outa my range.
    mine too!!!

The martini is a favorite of mine but they would have to be priced below what a Ruger no.1 or Win. 1885 to be attractive and successful. The martini action is a marvel in that it has so few parts, seems as though it would cost less to make than the ones I mentioned.
    I would like to see how they attach the floating forend.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    price is $1699.00

I really like my single shots but at $1,700 I'm going to pass. If one comes up on a "discontinued" sale I'd be in for $800. MAYBE. Gp

Boolit Master
    At first blush I thought ohhh yeahhh

Now I’m thinking
    Scope when mounted looks to be good for a decent chin weld.
    Looks a long way to the trigger from the wrist.
    Does it have a hole for cleaning from the breach
    What rifling form.
    Hope it’s not a Sammi specked chamber for the 30-30.
    They could do soo much better
    $1699 us =$2400 aus for a 30-30.
    I would think a crisp 3# factory trigger would be more apt.
    Forearm I feel would be better short and thinner more English flowing style than the fat long thing.
    Cost me more than a new decent bolt action.
    The little lovely would want to shoot bug holes at 100 yards for that money with castbullets.
    At about 6 pounds it would be a nice weight to recoil.
    Wonder how it would balance in the hand to carry and shoot

Be lighter and friendlier to clean than a Ruger #1 which I think is way over complicated with small parts.

Guess I’m not feeling it at the moment.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cub45 View Post
    price is $1699.00
    In the real world, that MSRP will probably mean something like $1300-$1400 on the shelf. On the scale of "getting what you pay for", this is probably not out of line - it's an all-steel rifle that somebody actually took the time to polish and blue (not a rust-when-you-look-at-it-sideways 870 Express), put in real walnut, and provide with the really nice side benefit of an easily removable lockwork.

I am pretty darn sick of the new gun market being driven solely by price point, as it has given us a race to see who can sell something that - on paper - does a job for as little as possible. Those that ask for this get what they deserve - plastic, aluminum, stampings, castings, roll-pins, and solid-state sub-assemblies that you can't service at the owner level or only do so with great difficulty.

I've been having too much fun with several examples of the real thing, and will need to give this a serious look. Unfortunately, I feel that the aforementioned market that wants it for $399 with a detachable 30 round mag will be the death of them.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    The martini is a favorite of mine but they would have to be priced below what a Ruger no.1 or Win. 1885 to be attractive and successful. The martini action is a marvel in that it has so few parts, seems as though it would cost less to make than the ones I mentioned.
    I would like to see how they attach the floating forend.

Jedman
    +1

These are my sentiments exactly. You gotta really want a Martini at that MSRP. Maybe for the novelty of it, but to each his own(?)

You can buy a used Ruger #1 or #3 & have it re-chambered, re-barreled or re-bored in just about any caliber you like for that kind of $cratch.

JIMHO
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quality is expensive and short runs are expensive.

I never thought I would ever buy a rifle like a T/C Compass but I did last year. It is just garbage compared to my M70 and M700's. But that $225 rifle shoots just as well if not better. The new reality is that very accurate rifles are now well under $500. Spending double that, or more, will not net any greater hunting accuracy. I am motivated by pride of ownership so I like nice guns. If you can afford it...go for it...I get it. But there are far less expensive ways to hunt and shoot for fun, IF the cool factor is not playing into it.

BTW, shot a BSA Martini in small bore competition at college and it had a great trigger. Not sure why the negative comments. I shot that gun very well....better than the Model 52.

Anyway, I find it humorous that no matter what a manufacturer comes to market with, so many think the calibers are wrong, barrel length is wrong, twist is wrong, or the styling is wrong etc. The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. Every manufacturer wants to succeed so they try to produce the guns that appeal to the widest market segment they are targeting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I was trying to be nice when I indicated in an earlier post that I was losing interest after seeing the $1700 price tag, and the pic of the rifle. If I was going to spend that much on a Martini I would get and original, or two, or maybe a well done Martini sporter. Just my unsolicited opinion, of which I have many!

Boolit Master

I have an old Aussie Martini that is begging to be upgraded, but I can't get past the lack of a functional safety. A carry rifle needs a safety other than carrying with the action partly open. If this new one has such a safety, I'll spring for one, or at least an action.

Boolit Master
    Has a safety according to specs in the link. Issue for me is $$$ and stock design. Have arthritis and can't bend my wrist to grip a straight stock without a lot of pain. $$$ is an issue, can buy a No 1 for less or buy a Henry 30/30 and keep it as is or send it to JES for rebore to 30/40 for about half the cost. To each his own but I do not find it an attractive rifle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast