RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New 35 caliber

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    How can it be a blow out 223 rem when the casehead on that print is 0.015" larger than a 223 casehead?

BB
    Guys do it for 5.45x39 when fire forming 223 cases to it. The cases look funky with the rim and base still at .376"-.378" depending on who's brass it is. My gut says it can't be as safe as a proper case. I'm sticking with 357AR as the 350 legend doesn't gain you anything other than factory ammo which I don't buy anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    How can it be a blow out 223 rem when the casehead on that print is 0.015" larger than a 223 casehead?

BB
    The print is also showing it takes .355 bullets. The date is rather old and dimensions are conflicting w/ what’s been reported. Until an actual SAAMI chamber drawing is available I’m not believing anything. CMMG says it takes a standard AR BCG so we know what size the case head will be.

Banned

Is it just me or does this sound like a re-invention of the "obsolete" .351 WSL?

Boolit Master
    It headspaces on the case mouth. This will require sizing every time you reload....if you reload. I don't see brass being any more available than 357max brass was until Starline started making it. Everyone wants one of these because they want to shoot it out of an AR platform and there's nothing wrong with that but....it doesn't offer anything over the .357max. If they'd come out with a lever gun in .357max and just used that cartridge they'd have pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Much easier to reload and many states don't allow AR type guns to be used. I've been hearing and reading for years that everyone wants to know why they don't offer a lever gun in .357max. I guess Win just wants you to have to buy their gun and proprietary ammo. FWIW, even with the .1" longer case you're not going to get what you can get out of .357max reloads. I wished they'd have just come out with a new lever gun for the MAX round. You can use a lever gun anywhere you can use a rifle. It's also a great round in a rifle. I'm getting around 2400fps out of mine with 158g bullets and according to Bellm and White I can bump that up a couple more hundred fps if I'd like.

There is one good thing about the 350L, something to talk about when its to dang cold to go to the gun range.

BB

BB

Boolit Master

CMMG announced they are building AR rifles, uppers and offering just barrels and magazines!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

I'm not a fan of trimming brass. If RCBS made a set of X dies for it that could hold headspace dimensions, I'd be down for the right bolt gun. A better and cheaper alternative to the Ruger 77/357 would be great!

Boolit Master

Straight cases tend to grow. VERY SLOW, and compaired to bottle neck cases RARELY require trimming. Take 9mm, 40 & 45... I dont ever remember “needing” to trim one.

I also dont remember trimming my 357max cases. I fail to see any evidence this 350 would be any different.

CW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Straight cases tend to grow. VERY SLOW, and compaired to bottle neck cases RARELY require trimming. Take 9mm, 40 & 45... I dont ever remember “needing” to trim one.

I also dont remember trimming my 357max cases. I fail to see any evidence this 350 would be any different.

CW
    Your Max cases don't headspace on the case mouth. These do. The potential for headspace problems is real. It may not be a big problem, but it's certainly potentially a problem. I very rarely ever trim straight wall pistol cases myself, but I've had problems albeit infrequently in the past with semi-auto cases needing to be trimmed.

Boolit Master
    one THING about the 357 ar, 357Maxi and now this WW reinvention:
    A possible ISSUE in the use of 357 mag JSP Pistol bullets in these calibers:
    These pistol bullets, when shot over heavy charges and to High velocities,
    can leave a Jacket in the barrel.
    This phenom was Known to happen back in the days of the Bob Milek publishing his loading
    the 357 Herrett ctg with 158 gr JSP Pistol bullets and heavy charges.
    Not just a rumor: This happened with a friend of mine in shooting Milek's loads in his T/C.
    Not so good in his T/C contenders, but could be a real disaster in an AR-15
    When I was shooting my 357 Herrett, I loaded it only with slower powders and Rifle
    type Cast Bullets. No Problem

beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post

CW
    Good point! I thought about this after I posted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    one THING about the 357 ar, 357Maxi and now this WW reinvention:
    A possible ISSUE in the use of 357 mag JSP Pistol bullets in these calibers:
    These pistol bullets, when shot over heavy charges and to High velocities,
    can leave a Jacket in the barrel.
    This phenom was Known to happen back in the days of the Bob Milek publishing his loading
    the 357 Herrett ctg with 158 gr JSP Pistol bullets and heavy charges.
    Not just a rumor: This happened with a friend of mine in shooting Milek's loads in his T/C.
    Not so good in his T/C contenders, but could be a real disaster in an AR-15
    When I was shooting my 357 Herrett, I loaded it only with slower powders and Rifle
    type Cast Bullets. No Problem

beltfed/arnie
    FYI. Those probelms where with the popular (because chesp) Speer HALF JACKETS!

Offered and DISCONTINUED in 30, 357 & 44. When loaded they looked like a typical rn or swc LEAD bullet. Basically a tall thicker gas check.

As mentioned these are discontinued Speer bullets.

CW

SAAMI specs are up.....interesting choice for the case mouth dia, freebore/throat dia and bore/groove size. You're not getting a common .358" to fit, should be able to use .357" cast in the .355" barrel. https://saami.org/technical-informat...mber-drawings/

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    SAAMI specs are up.....interesting choice for the case mouth dia, freebore/throat dia and bore/groove size. You're not getting a common .358" to fit, should be able to use .357" cast in the .355" barrel. https://saami.org/technical-informat...mber-drawings/
    .355"? As Maxwell Smart says- "Missed it by that much." Oh Big Red, ya done it again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Looking at the SAAMI specs, there is a tolerance notation of +.002". That would allow you to use a 357 barrel, .380" case mouth dia, and .359" freebore/throat on your barrel so you could use .358" jacketed and cast boolits and still be within SAAMI specs........ Of course your reamer would have to be ground to those specs. Makes you wonder if the SAAMI prints are just a very strange choice or smoke and mirrors.

Boolit Grand Master

Am I reading them correctly? Bullet diameter is .357 and the barrel spec is .355. That seems strange.

Boolit Master
    cwlongshot.
    The problem of hot "Milek" loads in the 357 Herrett occurred with
    Hornady JSP and JHP bullets loaded in my friends and others' T/Cs.
    I believe the powder was "a lot of" IMR 4227.
    Not half jacketed Speers, tho I would NOT use them either in really hot loaded 38cals
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Oh, more specifically the bullets were 158 gr JSP and JHP Hornady Pistol bullets
    beltfed/arnie

Were those the SJHP that they had before the XTP lines? I had a partial box of them left over from a 357Mag I had back in the early 90's. When I first started shooting the first 357AR test barrel they were the first ones that got used up. This is the only pic I could find of them real quick in my folders. Hornady 158gr SJHP on the top, Sierra 200gr RN on the bottom. They haven't made them in at least 20 years or so by now. Never had any issues with them though. Oddly out of the two, that 158gr needs the longer freebore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357AR-extension.jpg  
    Last edited by Moleman-; 01-29-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Master

Bob Milek used and swore by H4227 as THE 357 Herrett powder.

I had a 14” Contender in Herrett because of the writings of Bob Milek and Steve Herrett. I read all his writings intently. He shot allot of the early offerings simply because the bullets like Gold Dot and XTP where not yet yet invented!
    The bullets he shot alot of where a Sierra hp 158 and the silhouette bullets as well as the Speer 160 Half Jacket.
    Later he shifted to the purpose built SSP Line from Hornady. The 180 in the 357 and the 130 in the 30.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-30-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast