RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullets for a 223 AR-15?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    Instead of telling someone they can't shoot cast in 223, on this forum we should help them develop the most precise load possible.
    I agree, but won’t do it anymore. I load a NOE 22-55 gc with 19 grains of H335 for my AR. I tested my best looking 5 rounds against 5 rnds of Tulammo and the cast was about a 2“ bigger group at 100 yards from a lead sled.

They are too finicky and take too much time to deal with in an AR, IMO, unless it’s zombie time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I agree, but won’t do it anymore. I load a NOE 22-55 gc with 19 grains of H335 for my AR. I tested my best looking 5 rounds against 5 rnds of Tulammo and the cast was about a 2“ bigger group at 100 yards from a lead sled.

They are too finicky and take too much time to deal with in an AR, IMO, unless it’s zombie time...

Just because you can't make good boolits doesn't mean nobody else should make the effort.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am going to buy a mold because I want to try to use them.

I am willing to have the fun of casting & trying them out for an experiment, and if it works for me that is even better.

I can always buy more condomed ones later, if it doesn't work out well.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Just because you can't make good boolits doesn't mean nobody else should make the effort.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    I never stated they shouldn’t try...or did I state I could not make good bullets. This is a forum where one shares experiences. That was mine. Re-read the post...

Has anyone shot cast bullets from a bolt, or single shot. One of my many theories is, the gas port in the AR's barrel erodes, or otherwise damages the cast bullet before it leaves the muzzle. I've been tempted to try cast bullets in my XP-100, to see what the accuracy would be like. The reason I haven't tried cast in the XP is the twist is too slow for the available bullet molds.

In my ar15 (dpms) i have very good results at 100 yards ~2 inch on a good day.
    Military sight and in the prone position.
    Rcbs mold, sized to .225, loaded with d060 15,8gr.
    No fouling, no leading, only the occasional oil after 500 shots. 6000+ rounds done and still no problem.

That link worked. Excellent example of how what "everyone knows" vs. "I just did it" information. Feeding, accuracy, leading & fouling all addressed. In short the bumble bee can be demonstrated to fly therefore the well known scientific fact that bumble bees can't fly becomes moot.

I think the Lee mold opens up possibility of casting for .223 at a low price point, but if I had a fast or slow twist to accommodate and wanted to maximize accuracy I would look into NOE Molds or maybe Accurate Molds to get a weight that works well. My 1:7 twist is "ok" with the typical 55 grain but loves the heavier cast 70 grain. Or the store bought 72 grain. Store bought is expensive for those weight bullets. Last "deal" I saw on those were Red Army range packs and those were still pretty expensive in the heavier weight bullets.

it can be done, is it worth it? Up to you to decide. How much time to save you how much money over cheap store bought? Is accuracy enhanced? Do you value being able to "roll your own" if need be? I can buy 12 gauge bulk boxes at Walmart for not much over making it myself. I value being able to make it when I need it. I value custom loads for specific uses. Saving some money on almost every round, with greater savings on the custom or non-standard rounds.

So yes try it, expect that you might try some approaches that don't work well on your way to figuring out a process and load that does work well.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I cast now for over 34 years and to speak frankly, i was a little hesitating to cast for my 223.
    The wish was there, but the: what if{worst case} what if {best case} what if...what if.
    A gastube is what? 20$ {worst case}, had fun YES.
    BUT
    At 0.06$ a shot instead a full dollar for a shot, including decent accuracy it become {best case}

Why the heck i sit back and wait for a post of some one like oldgsm, cant thank him enough.
    The results on target are better then "OUR" cheapest 12 gauge bulk stuff, and way cheaper.
    You will be lucky if you hit the target with those buggers at 100 meters.
    My casts for the 223 are the same and even better as our "normal" commercial bought at the target, it saves you only 0.70$ a shot.

The Lee molds are in my experience not very good for casting good boolits, they fly all over the target.
    They are very good to start with casting or try something, to tell you the truth, i would not use Lee boolits in a semi.
    It can be done?,i guess so.

NOE or Accurate molds....i am drooling already, its hard to get them at this side of the ocean.
    +1 most 1:7 twist barrels like heavier casts, i am planning to buy one, before i can cast with it, the price has tripled.

For me is "roll your own" better, especially when you grow your own tobacco....euh i mean cast...

Yes try...buy a NOE mold ~70 grain, if you don't succeed, you can sell me the mold(no 26 or 27 in my collection) for new price ex shipment!
    One problem.....time.....to make those buggers, and the ar shoots so fast.
    Dont forget to let them rest 3 months after casting, so they can cure.
    Best and good luck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190101_170048.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	242155

Was windy at that time.

This weekend i will post photo's of the ar's guts with no cleaning after 6000+ shots fired, only some oil/grease was giving every 500 shots

Boolit Bub
    I've used the noe 69/70 gr, linotype alloy, g/c and white label lube for 2000 fps sized .225. a universal start is (18 grains) of appropriate ar powder, h335, aa 2230, rx7,ar comp. those powders and tweak up or down for function then for accuracy. I have to tell you honest off the bench accuracy with 1-8 to 1-9 twist ars is a little less than 2 moa. occasionally i'll get a group 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards but more in the 2" or less. I started casting for this cartridge in anticipation of some kind of political hockey pokey banning or limiting jacket bullets. usually I just use fmj bts.

My lube is 50/50.
    I clean my beeswax and add lithium based grease. 50%-50% ratio. at volume that is.
    My lead for the ar is the same as for my 44mag and 308, range lead with extra antimony, if the flow goes bad i add more tin.
    Overall the ones that make it to be a boolit are at 18-20 bhn, with no leading or whatsoever.

@JBinMn....What toke you so long....looking forward to see your results.

At an indoor range below 2 inch is normal if you can cast and now your measurements, prone shooting and with fixed iron site.

Good luck, also from you i would like to see some results.
    To many people are telling i can't be done because the gaspipe, or whatever....bullocks....

Here on the forum we guide people indeed how to get the best out of a cast!
    But its also to your effort and time and knowledge.
    Sometime it takes some time to find the right answer.
    And when you find it...

Best

Side note: my lithium grease is for big rigs and cranes not car industry. Hydraulic and such, i thought.
    Apparently there is a difference?
    I really don't know.
    Anyway its free for me and it works for me, sorry gents and gals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerhale1200 View Post
    My lube is 50/50.
    I clean my beeswax and add lithium based grease. 50%-50% ratio. at volume that is.
    My lead for the ar is the same as for my 44mag and 308, range lead with extra antimony, if the flow goes bad i add more tin.
    Overall the ones that make it to be a boolit are at 18-20 bhn, with no leading or whatsoever.

@JBinMn....What toke you so long....looking forward to see your results.

At an indoor range below 2 inch is normal if you can cast and now your measurements, prone shooting and with fixed iron site.

Good luck, also from you i would like to see some results.
    To many people are telling i can't be done because the gaspipe, or whatever....bullocks....

Here on the forum we guide people indeed how to get the best out of a cast!
    But its also to your effort and time and knowledge.
    Sometime it takes some time to find the right answer.
    And when you find it...

Best
    I just cast up 500 or so last week with a Lee GC225-55 RF mold I bought since I posted earlier in Feb..

I just need to get around to doing the rest of the process & that involves "emptying" some factory .223/5.56 rounds to make the empty cases to reload.

I will try to post up results when I get to it.

Thanks for the asking about it!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I've been thinking about trying cast in my AR. I was planning on straight lino since I have an abundance of it. I get great accuracy from my .222 Rem with cast (.6 in at 50 yards) so I figure I should be able to get at least acceptable accuracy from the AR. This has been an interesting thread. Now I've got some ideas on what I think might work.

Not to stir the pot, so to speak, but to promote information as 'I have done'....
    I shoot an AR15 (Del-Ton) in M4 configuration: 16" barrel w1-8 twist, flat-top w/rail, iron flip-ups w/2 mil red dot, etc.
    As I cast for everything I own, I figured I could find a way to feed my AR cast also.
    I own both a Lee Bator mold and a Lee 225-55 GC mold. My AR shoots both equally decent, over the same powder charge only adjusting the C.OAL. These ARE GC'd and PC'd boolits.
    After experimenting, I settled on a "jacketed" powder and worked up using ladder loading. I have no chrony but they seem to be right at 2000 fps, with perfect function and zero gas port issues. My boolits leave clean round holes and are as accurate as my sore eyes can see at 100yds.
    It can be done. I've burned most of a pound of powder, but it works.
    Have patience, use perfect boolits(NO flaws) and enjoy the trip!
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Master

Everyone is entitled to decide for themselves what they want to load, shoot, etc. Just because you think there are cheaper, easier, whatever, doesn't mean someone else might be doing something for the pure pleasure of doing it.

Specific to this thread, so far I have not had success shooting cast out of my AR. I would like to, but it hasn't happened yet. I have searched a lot of threads, tried a lot of what has worked for others, but to no avail. I'll continue to play though. And while I know it's not ever going to be the cheapest, or most accurate, or most efficient, etc. I will do it just for the satisfaction of accomplishing something.

I did the same thing with the Garand about 10-12 years ago. It was a long frustrating journey, but I figured it out. And nowadays I rarely shoot cast out of the M1, but when I want to I know I can.

If you go down this road a older A1 or SP 1:12 twist barrel is your friend ,yes it can be done with the new faster twist barrels but success will be found much easier with a slower twist barrel .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Side note: my lithium grease is for big rigs and cranes not car industry. Hydraulic and such, i thought.
    Apparently there is a difference?
    I really don't know.
    Anyway its free for me and it works for me, sorry gents and gals.

@sledgehammer.
    So you know you're way with measurements!
    Full jacket loads, yes it can be done.
    I do it also, for all my guns

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast