RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: A Gift From My Brother And Sister In Law

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

A Gift From My Brother And Sister In Law

They gave me a six and a half inch stainless Ruger New Model Single Six. I'm not a big .22 RF fan but I'll never turn away a free gun; as long as it's a legally bought and paid for gun. I'd never heard of this model before. I do own an old revolver that one of my other brothers gave me years ago but that little 22 (I can't remember the model) was non functional at the time. I also own a conversion kit for my Kimber 1911 pattern 45 and an Iver Johnson PPK clone 22 semi auto that I found one day when I was out hunting in the desert. It must have been laying out in the elements for a long time (still in the holster) before I came across it because the barrel was pitten beyond being saved and the firing pin had corroded. I was able to fix both those issues but I can't remember the last time I shot any of my 22s.

Any way, they told me that they really liked the Ruger but it was to heavy and they hardly ever shot it anymore. To me it looked like good cottontail medicine. They were looking for something smaller that they could easily carry around with them. I happen to have a little Kel tek pocket 380 that hadn't seen the light of day in a real long time so I gave them that to try out. If they like it, keep it; if not, bring it back.

So now I'm a proud owner of a nice looking stainless steel revolver. It really is a hefty revolver but for me that heft helps me hold the sights steadier. It doesn't help my old eyes SEE the sights any clearer, nor the targets but it looks like a good shooter. I'll be out testing it on cottontails in a few days. Any of you guys have any experience with these particular 22s?

HollowPoint

I have owned several Single Six models over the years and all shot well. It should work well for your rabbits.

Boolit Master

I had one of the early 3 screw single sixes and still miss it today. Sold it to help make a down payment on my first house. I did nnot realize at the time how much I would miss that little pistol. Great shooter. james

Boolit Master
    That single 6 convertible is my wife’s go to for snakes and has been ever since I bought it at 21 yo. I’ve bought her several pistols, but when a Varmint is in yard and needs dispatching and I’m not a round she grabs her Ruger and lights out.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the convertible Super Single Six in blued steel - the first gun I bought for myself as an adult. Still shoot it at times, and used it to teach the kids and now the grandkids.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I wondered if this was one of those convertible models but I wasn't able to find out. It didn't come with an extra cylinder so I'm assuming it's strictly for the rimfire cartridges. I don't know what I'd ever use the 22magnum rounds if it did come with an extra cylinder but it would have been nice to have that option. I hope to get the chance to fire off a few rounds in a couple of days. I have to make a holster for it first. I don't want to carry it around in a fanny pack or in my pocket.

HollowPoint

Great gift! The best single action .22 revolver ever period, paragraph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Since receiving this 22 revolver I've been looking around the internet for information on its' accuracy and such. So far most of the reviews I've come across have echoed your sentiment. I'm looking forward to seeing for myself if all of this positive info will be the same for my sample gun. I have no reason to think it won't perform as well for me as for those who have given it rave reviews.

I might be able to get out this week end and do some coyote calling. If I do I'll take it along just in case I spook some cottontails while I'm out and about.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    You need to get a spring kit from brownells, install, takes about 20 minutes, will cut the trigger # pull in half. I have a blue and stainless single six, and as you mentioned, the heavier weight helps me hold it better off hand.

Boolit Master
    Ruger Super Single Six .22 convertible revolver was my first handgun... purchased in 1974 when I turned 21 yrs old. Friends bought me a case (5,000) rounds of ammo for my birthday and I went through that with my revolver and much much more. It’s still very accurate. I sneak in the magnum cylinder once in a while to surprise unsuspecting friends.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

I've an old model 6 1/2" .22Mag and a NM 5 1/2" Convertible in blue.

That OM .22Mag would take the head clean off a jackrabbit at 50yds. In those days long gone by I took a lot of them. Did wish for the .22LR Cylinder too.

Often wish I'd sent it back to RUGER, back in the days when RUGER would still do it. At a price cheaper then buying a new revolver.

Was told when I bought it used, that it was .22LR, was lied too, but I was 14 and trusting.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I got a chance to visit my happy hunting grounds to try out this Ruger New Model Single Six revolver. I think it's going to take me some getting used to this little gun. I can make pretty consistent hits with my Kimber 45 and even my Khar 9mm out to a pretty good distance but, I was having some trouble getting anything that resembled a tight group.

I'm not blaming the gun. I think it was more of a combination of me being more used to the recoil of a 9 or a 45 than a 22. That, and the fact that I was shooting a hodgepodge of different left over 22 bullets of different brand names and who know how long I've had them sitting in my storage room. I look forward to taking it to the shooting range for some formal target practice with whatever brand of ammo it likes the most..

My big mistake was initially trying to make hits or near misses at 35,40 and fifty yards like I was able to do with the larger bore pistols. When I couldn't make the same hits or near misses with this 22 like I was able to do with the other guns it kind of triggered a psychological thing inside me that told me, "Maybe this little revolver isn't accurate." In hindsight I did notice that when I shot three or four of the same ammo brands in succession, my points of impact came closer to resembling groups but, I was just loading bullets without really noticing that as I loaded them, one would be a Winchester brand, the next would be a CCI and then a Stinger. It's no wonder I wasn't getting to many hits or even near misses.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    great fun guns 22mag wakes you up after shooting 22lr

Boolit Grand Master

You have a very nice gift there. I have had mine for years and it is a fine revolver, probably the finest sa 22 made. I did the spring kits in it and BH 357 sweet.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Remember, the only interesting revolver is an accurate revolver. Don’t mix ammo in your cylinder, and you will probably have an interesting revolver.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Remember, the only interesting revolver is an accurate revolver. Don’t mix ammo in your cylinder, and you will probably have an interesting revolver.
    Yea, I learned that the hard way but in my defense I was just out plinking so I really didn't put to much emphasis on selecting individual types of ammo. I shot what I had on hand; and what I had on hand was a hodge-podge of different types of rimfire ammo I've accumulated over the years. I can't recall the last time I ever bought 22 RF ammo. Most of what I had on hand was stuff I've picked up off the ground over time. Some of those various brand 22 RF bullets hit the mark but most didn't. I did have a 50 count box of stingers that was given to me along with the revolver itself but I hadn't taken that with me when I went out plinking. Now it's a matter of shooting individual brands till I find one the this pistol likes and then I'll buy a brick of that particular ammo brand and stick with that.

Before this last outing I hadn't shot any of my 22s in two or three years. Maybe this little revolver will get me back into 22 rimfires again. I may be able to get to the shooting range this Friday for some formal accuracy testing. I've been working up some loads for my recently rebarreled Tikka Hunter rifle and my 223. It will give me an excuse to take along this Ruger for another go round.

HollowPoint