Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 357 Mag - Excessive Chamber Chamfer?

Boolit Master

357 Mag - Excessive Chamber Chamfer?

I have a 357 Mag barrel from a Timberwolf pump-action rifle that I want to use on a barrel stubbing project. It appears the rim lies on the face of the barrel and there is no rebate cut for the cartridge rim. My issue is the barrel is beveled about .070" on one side and I wonder if this will result in bulged brass that will give me problems with reloading.

Here's how it came from the factory:

I ground down the feed ramp and here is how it looks now:

I made a chamber cast and there is about .100" from the end of the case to where the rifling starts.

So right now my options are:

1. Live with it and hope it doesn't cause problems with reloading or shooting full power hunting loads.

2. Face it off, re-cut the extractor groove, and shoot 38 Special.

3. Face it off, re-cut extractor, and get a 357 Mag reamer. I don't really want to spend the cash for that at this time, however.

I'm not going to rent a reamer. If it comes to that I'll buy and resell a new one.

Plans are to shoot as heavy bullets as I can get away with in this 1 in 20 twist barrel.

Thoughts or ideas?

Should be fine, Here's a pic of a sectioned 38 and 357 case I did 7-8 years back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357-38web.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the pic! Looks like there is plenty of brass in that area.

I have used 3 of those exact barrels to use as a liner in a 20 ga. single shot break action to make rifles. Numrich used to have them until about 5 years ago.
    I faced them off and cut the rim recess on a lathe. I made 1 in 38 special for myself without a reamer. The other 2 I used the GBO 357 maximum reamer that they rent to members and made them both 357 maximums. They have 10 groove rifling and a nice bore finish, when GPC had them they were less than $20.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I have used 3 of those exact barrels to use as a liner in a 20 ga. single shot break action to make rifles. Numrich used to have them until about 5 years ago.
    I faced them off and cut the rim recess on a lathe. I made 1 in 38 special for myself without a reamer. The other 2 I used the GBO 357 maximum reamer that they rent to members and made them both 357 maximums. They have 10 groove rifling and a nice bore finish, when GPC had them they were less than $20.

Jedman
    That's a timely post. Tonight I was fitting the barrel into a 12 ga. folding shotgun and noticed that the round chambers deeper on the side with the large bevel since the rim is unsupported. A round crooked in the chamber can't be good for accuracy, so I decided to put the barrel back on my lathe and make it a 38 special for now and ream it later if like the rifle.

Thanks for sharing your experience.